Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM

74 posts, read 199,198 times

Advertisements

Looking for good courses on Li. I've found threads but a lot of Suffolk courses are listed.

I play Eisenhower blue white. Can never reserve red. Also lido and merrick. Bored of all of them. No budget but mostly play fri - sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 AM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesscrappy View Post
Looking for good courses on Li. I've found threads but a lot of Suffolk courses are listed.

I play Eisenhower blue white. Can never reserve red. Also lido and merrick. Bored of all of them. No budget but mostly play fri - sun.
Town of Oyster Bay GC in Woodbury and Harbor Links in Port Washington are both big steps up from the courses you listed (except Lido, which is solid), but they are very expensive if you are not a resident of TOB or the Town of North Hempstead (for Harbor Links). Twilight at TOB is a great deal even for non-residents, but you can't make a tee time.

Of course, there's also the Bethpage courses, but they can be brutal on weekends.

I live in Nassau but do most of my golfing in Suffolk. Most of the courses are worth the slightly longer drive.

This website has descriptions of pretty much every public course on the Island plus an interactive LI map of all publics...

Golf on Long Island

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM

96 posts, read 187,088 times
I live in NYC and golf in Nassau. Rockaway Hunting Club and The Creek are awesome.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM

39 posts, read 84,526 times
Default Bethpage

I play Merrick golf course and every year the course is worse shape than the previous year. Why do I pay $18.00 for a town course and it's in horrible condition and I play at Peninsula golf course in Massapequa (also $18.00) a privately owned course and it's in perfect condition. It's a shame because Merrick golf course as much potential, 3 holes on the water and a very good layout. Merrick just aerated the greens and I think they used a top of a beer bottle to make the holes, it's horrible.
To answer your question I like Bethpage, the Red course is always in perfect condition but difficult to get on. Yellow is fun and the first green is impossible.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I assume you are interested in public courses, not many private open to the public in Nassau.

Bethpage, NY State Course has 5 beautiful courses, if you have not played there before I would highly recommend. You can reserve through the telephone system once you register your NYS license, either in person or by Faxing. Also you can walk on but need to get there early, decent time in the AM during the week, tough during the weekend.

Bethpage State Park Golf Courses Fees & Rates - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Also Lido Beach is a Links course if you like that type, Harbor Links will cost you unless you are Town of North Hempstead.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays12 View Post
I play Merrick golf course and every year the course is worse shape than the previous year. Why do I pay $18.00 for a town course and it's in horrible condition and I play at Peninsula golf course in Massapequa (also $18.00) a privately owned course and it's in perfect condition. It's a shame because Merrick golf course as much potential, 3 holes on the water and a very good layout. Merrick just aerated the greens and I think they used a top of a beer bottle to make the holes, it's horrible.
To answer your question I like Bethpage, the Red course is always in perfect condition but difficult to get on. Yellow is fun and the first green is impossible.
Last time I played Merrick it was in great shape but have not been there for some time. Greens at all the courses this year are bad due to lack of rain, the last 2 weeks should do wonders.

I played Pennnisula once, nice course but definitely need a hard hat, very little space between fairways.

Love the green at Bethpage, very tough really no easy courses with the elevations, beautifully layed out.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Do not do Bethpage on weekends, it gets backed up like crazy.... don't be surprised to be on double deck by the 5th hole of your round.... and oh yeah, all the wannabe US Open champions are in full force, spending 5 minutes reading putts and taking gazillion practice swings before shanking the ball.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
I'd like to start a thread asking if there is a course on LI, west of Riverhead where you can play a round in under 6 hours. Hour plus wait and then a 6 hr round, standing around 3 foursomes deep at every tee box. Too frustrating for me. I have more or less given up the game unless I'm on vacation where I usually get in a round in 2 1/2 hrs or way out east where it's 4 hrs but nice course, nice cart and lunch.

Locally Bethpage is still nicest for the $ and Lido is great because of the challenges of all the water and wind. Douglaston in Queens is vastly improved. Primarily upper middle class Koreans who are golf fanatics. Good for a change of scenery.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I'd like to start a thread asking if there is a course on LI, west of Riverhead where you can play a round in under 6 hours. Hour plus wait and then a 6 hr round, standing around 3 foursomes deep at every tee box. Too frustrating for me. I have more or less given up the game unless I'm on vacation where I usually get in a round in 2 1/2 hrs or way out east where it's 4 hrs but nice course, nice cart and lunch.

Locally Bethpage is still nicest for the $ and Lido is great because of the challenges of all the water and wind. Douglaston in Queens is vastly improved. Primarily upper middle class Koreans who are golf fanatics. Good for a change of scenery.
The vast majority of courses east of Hauppauge all play at a normal pace with no waiting around on tee boxes. There are a few exceptions, usually municipal courses. If you show up at 12 noon on a Saturday with no tee time, you might run into a problem anywhere. But otherwise most Suffolk courses are pretty clear and very enjoyable as hundreds and hundreds of players flock to Bethpage, Eisenhower and Lido daily.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
My wife and I both gol fand we are so happy when we play a 4 hour round (walking) outside of NY Metro area. It allows more time for cocktails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island