Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM

153 posts, read 606,502 times

Advertisements

So, someone said on here that a house over 60 years old is a money pit. While I don't believe that entirely, it sure is more costly sometimes.

Underneath the aluminum siding on the garage i was "told" there is asbestos shingles/insulation. I also hear this is very very common for older houses. not a big deal unless you disturb things.

it is also possible that there are asbestos shingles under the siding of the house (since it's also aluminum siding).

*IF* I wanted to get all asbestos removed from the house and garage (assuming 2000 sq ft house living space house), does anyone have an idea of what it would cost? I KNOW someone is gonna say "don't touch it, leave it"...but i'm looking for quotes on cost of removal, just to get an idea. Thank you very much in advance.

I am a little over-paranoid and would rather remove it than leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
So, someone said on here that a house over 60 years old is a money pit. While I don't believe that entirely, it sure is more costly sometimes.

Underneath the aluminum siding on the garage i was "told" there is asbestos shingles/insulation. I also hear this is very very common for older houses. not a big deal unless you disturb things.

it is also possible that there are asbestos shingles under the siding of the house (since it's also aluminum siding).

*IF* I wanted to get all asbestos removed from the house and garage (assuming 2000 sq ft house living space house), does anyone have an idea of what it would cost? I KNOW someone is gonna say "don't touch it, leave it"...but i'm looking for quotes on cost of removal, just to get an idea. Thank you very much in advance.

I am a little over-paranoid and would rather remove it than leave it.
Can you look under and check if its asbestos ?
Putting the new siding on the entire outside should be approx $10K give OR take $2K and you will essentially have to do that after you remove the asbestos right ?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 PM

I guess it'd be better to just wrap the asbestos and forget about it, leaving it attached to the house.

you're right that in addition to the 12k for the siding, I'd have to pay a a huge abatement price, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas what that would be.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
I guess it'd be better to just wrap the asbestos and forget about it, leaving it attached to the house.

you're right that in addition to the 12k for the siding, I'd have to pay a a huge abatement price, I was just curious if anyone had any ideas what that would be.
Look at it this way, you will have super insulation.... and that means lower heating and cooling bills. As long as you don't see the shingles exposed and deteriorating you should be good.

Note: Its okay to be paranoid for the right reasons

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 AM

haha, thanks all.

Interesting article to read though.

USA TODAY - When Removing Asbestos Makes No Sense

basically it makes it seem like even if you breathe in asbestos once in a while, it's not an automatic death sentence.

The people who get affected are breathing in clouds of it day after day, year after year, 10s of years after 10s of years.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,729 times
I personally think there is no risk to having it on your house... However, I would remove it for a different reason.

Lots of houses have the origional wood siding then furring strips, then asbestos siding, then a contractor goes and puts some foam board, then vinyl siding. the actual siding is now a few inches out from where everything started and more than 50% of the time, it makes the house look bad. The windows and doors have to be packed out significantly to deal with this extra depth, and most of the time, it just doens't look "right". I'm sure plenty of people will come on here and say...... NOT true, I did it to my house and it looks great. maybe theirs does, but I can point out a lot of them as I drive down the street that look like crap.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I personally think there is no risk to having it on your house... However, I would remove it for a different reason.

Lots of houses have the origional wood siding then furring strips, then asbestos siding, then a contractor goes and puts some foam board, then vinyl siding. the actual siding is now a few inches out from where everything started and more than 50% of the time, it makes the house look bad. The windows and doors have to be packed out significantly to deal with this extra depth, and most of the time, it just doens't look "right". I'm sure plenty of people will come on here and say...... NOT true, I did it to my house and it looks great. maybe theirs does, but I can point out a lot of them as I drive down the street that look like crap.
Asbestos sidings are very thin.... so if you just have a vinyl over asbestos, its no big deal.... now... if you have 3 layers.... then thats a different animal, I don't know how many houses have 3 or more layers of siding on them.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 AM

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of it myself. I know there are no federal regulations on home owners, however there may be state/local regulations on being able to just throw the stuff out.

As I said above, It seems like small exposure to asbestos is not a risk (well, it is a risk, but not a death sentence). Again, the people who have cancer from it have breathed in extremely high levels over 10s of years, not once in a while or even for a few months, we're talking clouds of asbestos over 10-20 years.

I'm not too concerned with short term exposure to it. But I would be concerned when we wanted to do things like change the siding, rip down the walls in the house (who knows if there's asbestos in / behind the walls (I think there is asbestos in paneling, not sheetrock though, we do have a few areas with panels).

I am sitll looking for a cost idea.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM

127 posts, read 613,776 times
A neighbor of ours had his house demolished. During the demolition, asbestos was discovered throughout. They made him have it "cleaned up" with an environmental company using the appropriate cautions. It cost over $50,000 for the asbestos portion.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
There is no reason at all to remove the old asbestos shingles. They are no risk at all behind any type of siding. They do offer a slight increase in insulating your home.
Asbestos shingles are normally not shimmed out off of the house. For the most part they were installed over tar paper or similar product and nailed right to the exterior of the house, which way back when was mostly wood plank.
If properly installed and in relatively good condition, it actually adds protection to your exterior. Vinyl/aluminum siding allows moisture to get behind it, especially if not installed properly, leaving the shingles behind is actually a good thing.

I have it under the siding on my house.
My vote is leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island