Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times

Advertisements

My son goes to parochial school and has an IEp for resource reading. The iep meetings are held in the school district of where the parochial school is, not the district we live in. His last iep meeting was last June.

So fast forward a year and we are moving out of state at the end of the school year. The district is refusing to do an IEP meeting based on the fact that we are moving and that it would be a waste of their time and money. They also feel that the current IEP, which is from last years meeting will be what the new school will base his needs on. However, I argue as that couldnt be current as it is a year old. Some of the goals were met, some were not. So how is the new school supposed to know where he will be if he does not have the current IEP.

any ideas? The meeting is supposed to be tomorrow, but was just told it would be cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Why not have the new school evaluate him to fit into their guidelines?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My son goes to parochial school and has an IEp for resource reading. The iep meetings are held in the school district of where the parochial school is, not the district we live in. His last iep meeting was last June.

So fast forward a year and we are moving out of state at the end of the school year. The district is refusing to do an IEP meeting based on the fact that we are moving and that it would be a waste of their time and money. They also feel that the current IEP, which is from last years meeting will be what the new school will base his needs on. However, I argue as that couldnt be current as it is a year old. Some of the goals were met, some were not. So how is the new school supposed to know where he will be if he does not have the current IEP.

any ideas? The meeting is supposed to be tomorrow, but was just told it would be cancelled.
Yearly IEPs I thought were mandatory. You need to call your district's IEP chair

Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
IEP have to be "re-upped" for lack of a better term before the year is up...ie, if his IEP is dated June 15, 2011, you need to get it re-instated before June 15, 2012.

An IEP is a LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is not somthing that the school can make up the rules as you go along. It's governed by a set of laws. If the school district is giving you trouble ask them for the number of the state office that assists with this type of stuff in NY. Every state has one. Hopefully once they see that you are not backing down they will come thru. You should also have a copy of the parent handbook for your state and the info should be in there. If you don't have one GO TO THE CENTRAL ADMIN OFFICE TODAY AND GET ONE. You must, by law, have a copy.

Your IEP may not transfer 100% but it would be a whole lot easier to get the ball rolling in Pittsburgh if you have a valid up to date one in your hands when you move.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Attached is a link to the IEP page for NYS. I have highlighted 2 parts and suggest that you speak with the chair of Special Ed. And request an update, an entire grade has been completed and he should have a track record for what he has accomplished or did not quite accomplish for the year. Additionally what ever state you are going to needs a valid idea of his progress. I would contact the district I was moving to and speak with the Special Ed chair there to see if they will write and request what they will need from your district. It is harder to ignore these requests if they are in writing and I would advise you to put your request in writing and get delivery confirmation. Not only will it offer proof of your request but it also will establish a paper trail for you shjould they choose to ignore you. Individualized Education Program Guidance:Special Education:EMSC:NYSED
Who develops the IEP?

An IEP must be initially developed and annually reviewed and, if appropriate, revised by the CSE, Subcommittee on Special Education or CPSE (hereinafter referred to as the Committee).

Also Step 16
Step 16: Review and, if appropriate, revise the IEP

The Committee must reconvene to review the student’s IEP when requested by the student’s teacher or parent, but at least annually.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Yes, the new school will test him when he starts. He is in 7th grade.
Todays conversation was with the chair of Pat Med school. He said that it was a waste of time and money to have a meeting for a child that was moving to a different state. The new school could go on last years IEP which was issued in June 2011 for this year.

I did request it by fax almost a month ago. Then I received the paperwork to sign stating I would be at the meeting as usual and mailed that back. I wanted a meeting to have goals that the new school could see what the old school were recommending if he were going back to his old school. Does this make sense?

The big issue is the money ; the public school district holds the meetings for the parochial school children but dosnt get money from it if the child does not live in that district. However, I did have a house in that district until april of this year so i did pay the taxes!! Its so frustrating as I try to be an advocate for my son and try to get him the help he needs.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
What the man thinks is of no relevance. He has to, by law, have the IEP meeting when requested. He should be happy to be getting rid of you, honestly!! If I were in his shoes I'd be all too happy to get together with you since I'd know it'd be the last time.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Attached is a link to the IEP page for NYS. I have highlighted 2 parts and suggest that you speak with the chair of Special Ed. And request an update, an entire grade has been completed and he should have a track record for what he has accomplished or did not quite accomplish for the year. Additionally what ever state you are going to needs a valid idea of his progress. I would contact the district I was moving to and speak with the Special Ed chair there to see if they will write and request what they will need from your district. It is harder to ignore these requests if they are in writing and I would advise you to put your request in writing and get delivery confirmation. Not only will it offer proof of your request but it also will establish a paper trail for you shjould they choose to ignore you. Individualized Education Program Guidance:Special Education:EMSC:NYSED
Who develops the IEP?

An IEP must be initially developed and annually reviewed and, if appropriate, revised by the CSE, Subcommittee on Special Education or CPSE (hereinafter referred to as the Committee).

Also Step 16
Step 16: Review and, if appropriate, revise the IEP

The Committee must reconvene to review the student’s IEP when requested by the student’s teacher or parent, but at least annually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yes, the new school will test him when he starts. He is in 7th grade.
Todays conversation was with the chair of Pat Med school. He said that it was a waste of time and money to have a meeting for a child that was moving to a different state. The new school could go on last years IEP which was issued in June 2011 for this year.

I did request it by fax almost a month ago. Then I received the paperwork to sign stating I would be at the meeting as usual and mailed that back. I wanted a meeting to have goals that the new school could see what the old school were recommending if he were going back to his old school. Does this make sense?

The big issue is the money ; the public school district holds the meetings for the parochial school children but dosnt get money from it if the child does not live in that district. However, I did have a house in that district until april of this year so i did pay the taxes!! Its so frustrating as I try to be an advocate for my son and try to get him the help he needs.

Thanks
I dont think they have a choice. He is still registered in a Pat-Med district school (they have to cover the privates as well) as of right now and you have a right to the IEP meeting.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Funny ; I just tried calling the number that he called me from earlier to ask what my rights were. The number goes to a voicemail number for the sports dept at St. Joseph's college. I know St. Joe's is in Patchogue, but do they share phone numbers with the special ed dept at Pat Med school district? This is the second time it happened with a different number.??

Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Not that I don't feel for you and your situation-

but it is ABSURD that because people choose to send their child to parochial school in a district other than their own that they live in, taxpayers and the school district where the parochial/private school is located are responsible for your child's IEP and special education progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island