Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM

130 posts, read 384,619 times

Advertisements

I really want to look up some information on my mother who passed when I was really young (11 days) and the rest of her family. My dad refuses to talk about any of it and I don't have any other family members to ask. I heard that some libraries have subscriptions to Ancestry.com and allow the public to use it. Does anyone know if any of the Nassau County libraries offer this?

I know they have a free trial subscription however I've already used it a while ago and if I try it again I will be charged and I really cannot afford to pay for it at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Ancestry.com is a user repository. Unless another user added information about your mother there won't be any.

Public records on file with County Clerk's Office, any house of worship of which she may have been a member, the cemetery association of where she's buried, etc. are more likely sources of information. Don't forget the local newspaper which would have published her obituary.

For her family information don't overlook the Church of Latter Day Saints (The Mormons). They maintain one of the world's largest repositories of geneological information that dates back 100's of years. Through them I was able to read a microfiche copy of the actual handwritten parish register about the birth of my great-grandfather in Lynkoping, Sweden in the early 1800's!

You might want to try the following link:
https://familysearch.org/

Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
I really want to look up some information on my mother who passed when I was really young (11 days) and the rest of her family. My dad refuses to talk about any of it and I don't have any other family members to ask. I heard that some libraries have subscriptions to Ancestry.com and allow the public to use it. Does anyone know if any of the Nassau County libraries offer this?

I know they have a free trial subscription however I've already used it a while ago and if I try it again I will be charged and I really cannot afford to pay for it at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
The Gold Coast Library had a subscription I do not know if they still do. Contrary to the previous post I was able to find quite a few nuggets about my family. They had jpegs of my Dad's service record and some passport related items from my grandparents.

It seems to be a pretty expensive service for basically hosting a collection of jpegs.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Ancestry.com is not a user repository. I've been using them for geneaological searches for several years now. I've been able to trace my family back to the 1300's in the UK (I have the more expensive membership).

I think where the confusion arises is that many records are volunteer-transcribed and then added to the database. It's not easy trying to read 17 and 18th Century handwriting!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
says free access from 7/3 - 7/8. But when I tried to go through it, it asks to confirm a free trial for 14 days, so I'm not sure what's actually free access till 7/8.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-06-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
says free access from 7/3 - 7/8. But when I tried to go through it, it asks to confirm a free trial for 14 days, so I'm not sure what's actually free access till 7/8.
The free trial is usually available all the time. But you'll have to register a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: