Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Believe it or not it's a myth that illegal aliens can just come here and sign up for welfare benefits, they cannot, hence the reason why they have to work. Now are there loopholes? Sure. If an illegal has a child here that is a USC that child can receive benefits. There are other ways they can derive some benefits as well, but by in large an illegal alien does not qualify for benefits like section 8 like many believe.

From the congressional GAO website:
Very good information. I am sure nobody else will respond to this as they don't like it when facts get in the way of their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Very good information. I am sure nobody else will respond to this as they don't like it when facts get in the way of their agenda.
I understood this. I also knew it and this is why illegals have anchor babies. The babies being US citizens are entitled to many benefits. As babies cannot sign for themselves, the parents sign for them. So they get the food stamps etc.

I think we have beaten this subject to death. Also as far as I know, after 9-11, Homeland security brought in a new law that states if you are illegally and caught, you will not be able to enter the states again for a number of years. However, most of the people entering illegaly are not crossing at manned border crossings.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I understood this. I also knew it and this is why illegals have anchor babies. The babies being US citizens are entitled to many benefits. As babies cannot sign for themselves, the parents sign for them. So they get the food stamps etc.

I think we have beaten this subject to death. Also as far as I know, after 9-11, Homeland security brought in a new law that states if you are illegally and caught, you will not be able to enter the states again for a number of years. However, most of the people entering illegaly are not crossing at manned border crossings.
This is not a new law so why shouldnt these kids have the same benefits as the welfare USC kids? It's not their fault they were forced to be born here.

This topic is pretty cut and dry as mongoose and truthbetold explained in simple English but, some people (even a self admitted illegal) refuse to understand.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
This is not a new law so why shouldnt these kids have the same benefits as the welfare USC kids? It's not their fault they were forced to be born here.

This topic is pretty cut and dry as mongoose and truthbetold explained in simple English but, some people (even a self admitted illegal) refuse to understand.
Forced to be born here? Planned is more like it, thanks to a misinterpretation of the 14th amendment. How many other countries on this planet give citizenship status to a child born there of parents who are both foreign nationals?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:

It is not that I am refusing to understand this. I have all the sympathy in the world for children that are raised in a situation that is not of their fault. Same as my children are being raised without extended families, that is their parents choice.

It is their parents choice and responsibility to support these children. Their parents continue to take out of the system without giving back into the system. I waited until I could afford to have children and support them financially and have health insurance for them so that my children and I are not a burden to society. But the illegal parents that come and are a burden to society ; that is where I draw the line.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:

Some of these posters don't even like native Long Islanders because of their accents, it is what it is

Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Believe it or not it's a myth that illegal aliens can just come here and sign up for welfare benefits, they cannot, hence the reason why they have to work. Now are there loopholes? Sure. If an illegal has a child here that is a USC that child can receive benefits. There are other ways they can derive some benefits as well, but by in large an illegal alien does not qualify for benefits like section 8 like many believe.

From the congressional GAO website:
They can also get WIC.

To qualify, you must:
1.Be a ◦A pregnant woman;
◦An infant or child up to five years old;
◦A mother of a baby up to six months old; OR
◦A breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old.

2.Be a resident of New York State, but you do not need to be a U.S. citizen. 3.Meet the income eligibility guidelines OR receive benefits from Food Stamps, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
4.Be assessed by a WIC health care professional.

Fill out the WIC Prescreening Tool to find out if you might be eligible for WIC.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Forced to be born here? Planned is more like it, thanks to a misinterpretation of the 14th amendment. How many other countries on this planet give citizenship status to a child born there of parents who are both foreign nationals?
The children planned to be born here? Come again?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It is not that I am refusing to understand this. I have all the sympathy in the world for children that are raised in a situation that is not of their fault. Same as my children are being raised without extended families, that is their parents choice.

It is their parents choice and responsibility to support these children. Their parents continue to take out of the system without giving back into the system. I waited until I could afford to have children and support them financially and have health insurance for them so that my children and I are not a burden to society. But the illegal parents that come and are a burden to society ; that is where I draw the line.
Latinos are not the only ones that do this. I believe your anger should be targeted at the gov't not at the poor kids.

I also grew up without extended family. It is a terrible thing. You should do your poor kids a favor and move them back to grow up with their cousins. Not only did you segregate them from their peers on LI but, now you move them to Rural Pa? I can see them flying the coop first chance they get.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
They can also get WIC.

To qualify, you must:
1.Be a ◦A pregnant woman;
◦An infant or child up to five years old;
◦A mother of a baby up to six months old; OR
◦A breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old.

2.Be a resident of New York State, but you do not need to be a U.S. citizen. 3.Meet the income eligibility guidelines OR receive benefits from Food Stamps, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
4.Be assessed by a WIC health care professional.

Fill out the WIC Prescreening Tool to find out if you might be eligible for WIC.
The bolded part mean you can be a resident alien... Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island