Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 13,862 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So my fiance Darren and I just got married and we are seeking a home in the Suffolk County area. We both have stable Suffolk County jobs and are looking for a home in the Summer. We currently rent and get out of our rental in six months, then we will start looking, but the process of planning it is important to me personally since I want to research and find that this board may just very well be helpful!

We both make about 65k, combined, are working our way up.

We have 240k saved.

We are using 120k on a down payment, and would have after estimated closing costs at 20k (shooting high just in case), about 100 or so in our bank account. We want to start a family in a few years, no rush right now.

We have no care for Nassau or working in the city. My fiance makes extra income that really helps us save a lot of money (he does a side business which brings in a good amount). So extra money and saving is not a problem.

We are looking into find a place in Suffolk, exit 53-72, something close to the Long Island Expressway since I got west and he goes east.

We are looking for the price range of 250-319 (319 being the most, and even a little too high for us I would think).

Taxes under $7500 after star.

As of now our budget enables us to get a home for 2200 for both debt and mortgage.

We both bring in a total of 5300 (gross) currently, and off the books bring in 1200 a month extra (net pay).

Our debt would be a mortgage and no credit card debt, maybe $100 at most that we pay off every month. We have no student loans.

Our car loan payments are in total $400 even, together. Two cars, under 200 dollars.

This is important because our 120k down will enable us to get a higher end home, but we are open to not having to go to $319 and search something around 280-299 to save a little cash, not much, but a little.

Right now, since we don't have children and won't for three years, a perfect school or great school is not of importance.

What is of importance is a good neighborhood that may not be the best looking, but is safe and low crime. That is our main goal.

Any help on our journey would be helpful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,638,397 times
I am partial to Ronkonkoma. Near the LIE, train, and air. That being said, you might want to get pre-approved at your bank. It would make the house hunting easier.

Look for a good school district. You will not regret your choice. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,420,617 times
Salaries and no debt are great assets but IMO the desire for taxes around $7500 and a house for around $300k will limit you to lower middle class neighborhoods.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Lower middle class neighborhoods are fine as long as the house is under 2000 sq feet and is a nice size, and on a street that may not look great, but is good.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am partial to Ronkonkoma. Near the LIE, train, and air. That being said, you might want to get pre-approved at your bank. It would make the house hunting easier.

Look for a good school district. You will not regret your choice. Good luck in your search.
Been looking into Ronkonkoma and mapping out the streets and which streets we would never consider based upon the upkeep of the home, the area, etc.

We found a small area on the south side of the LIE and one all the way up near Sachem High School North, but are not sure of the taxes. We are looking into that and will utilize Google Street View and then will check them out in person.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 PM

47 posts, read 98,790 times
Sounds like you can go a bit higher than your current budget, but I can understand living well below means. I'm also partial to my area of Suffolk. We're in Sachem SD, and it shares parts of a number of areas all around the LIE, including Ronk and Lake Ronkonkoma, Holbrook, Lake Grove. Taxes tend to be lower around here. Given this price range, you'll get a mix of the good the bad and the ugly. I think you'll mostly just have to take a look at street view and in person to gauge whether or not you like the neighborhood, just as you're doing now. I'm also near Sachem High North and am happy here with my neighbors and upkeep of my area.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimehomeownerli View Post
Sounds like you can go a bit higher than your current budget, but I can understand living well below means. I'm also partial to my area of Suffolk. We're in Sachem SD, and it shares parts of a number of areas all around the LIE, including Ronk and Lake Ronkonkoma, Holbrook, Lake Grove. Taxes tend to be lower around here. Given this price range, you'll get a mix of the good the bad and the ugly. I think you'll mostly just have to take a look at street view and in person to gauge whether or not you like the neighborhood, just as you're doing now. I'm also near Sachem High North and am happy here with my neighbors and upkeep of my area.
What are your taxes if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:19 PM

22,742 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Sounds like LIQuest's fiancé has made her way to CD.

$240K saved on combined $65K salary?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:49 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,638,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBound23 View Post
Been looking into Ronkonkoma and mapping out the streets and which streets we would never consider based upon the upkeep of the home, the area, etc.

We found a small area on the south side of the LIE and one all the way up near Sachem High School North, but are not sure of the taxes. We are looking into that and will utilize Google Street View and then will check them out in person.
There is Ronkonkoma, and Lake Ronkonkoma. Lake Ronkonkoma is Sachem Schools. It is a very large district. There are some less care for places on the Portion Rd part of the Lake. There are plenty of nice area, too.

Ronkonkoma is Connetquot Schools. Connetquot is a smaller district. Ronkonkoma, Oakdale, and Bohemia are all Connetquot Schools.

Ronkonkoma is slightly north of LIE the train. Think Ocean Ave to the Lake. Think west to Motor Parkway.
There are some very nice homes in those areas. South of the LIE is nice. Think Johnson Ave, West and South.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
There is Ronkonkoma, and Lake Ronkonkoma. Lake Ronkonkoma is Sachem Schools. It is a very large district. There are some less care for places on the Portion Rd part of the Lake. There are plenty of nice area, too.

Ronkonkoma is Connetquot Schools. Connetquot is a smaller district. Ronkonkoma, Oakdale, and Bohemia are all Connetquot Schools.

Ronkonkoma is slightly north of LIE the train. Think Ocean Ave to the Lake. Think west to Motor Parkway.
There are some very nice homes in those areas. South of the LIE is nice. Think Johnson Ave, West and South.
Here are some streets I have researched and we would love to hear a native of Ronkonkoma's opionion as far as safety:

2nd BEST Streets (couple of blocks north of the LIE):

Victory Street (dead end street)
Wainwright Street (dead end street)
Granby Road
Boulder Street
Ontario Street (235k, taxes 6,621 with star - http://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale/...1779-115576659) - shows up as RED on Trulia)
Pine Avenue
Breeze Avenue
Haven Avenue
Port Avenue
Fir Grover Drive (257k, 7500 taxes - 298 Fir Grove Rd, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 | MLS 2644363 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate - shows up as GREEN with one block north of it being yellow, which is Wildwood Road, and then another block north is Shelter and Ontario)
Deer Road
Wildwood Road
Shelter Road (310k, taxes 6,500 - 417 Shelter Rd, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 | MLS 2649055 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate Trulia shows GREEN and yellow, red, yellow is three blocks WEST on Shelter and then it turns green again - so this house is west of the north and south street called Pine Avenue and north and south of Shelter which is the streets Ontario and Wildwood area green as well)
Flint Place
Belle Avenue
Paul Place
Edgewood Avenue
Vanderbuilt Avenue

EAST from PORT, SHELTER, ONTARIO etc right past Ocean Avenue

West 11th Street
N Cedar Avenue
Michigan Street
Adolphi Place
Brown Place
Locust Avenue
Ardele Avenue
Forrest Street
Weichers Avenue

3rd Best Streets

Calvert Avenue
Juniper Avenue
Port Avenue (one house sold for 260k, taxes are 7,000 - 8 Port Ave, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 | MLS 2614833 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate)
Beaver Lane
Elder Lane
Hansen Place
Pearl Street
Parkwood Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island