Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Just did a quick look see and since the opening post the OP has not commented even once. Makes me wonder. Just 'sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
The coram ,medford,farmingville area is better then people make it out to be. Thats why it sold so quick cheaper taxes with decent houses yet close enough to a lot of things.
Nothing to do with the town(s) - it's the price point that is selling. People are buying there because they are cheaper.

I find it funny all the folks here who are drooling to see the listing - which I find hilarious. Even chasing the OP to other forums.

None of us need to see the listing to comment on this thread. The OP's house isn't selling because it isn't priced right - period. All the rest is just silliness.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yeah, I grew up on LI but we lived on w3rd st. in the Village for 7 years before we settled in Austin. I had arguably 3 of the best pizza places in the country within walking distance. That was hard to give up but I know where to get a decent pie here. The only time I ever threw pizza out was in Austin, however. It was that bad.

The OP doesn't want to provide her listing because she doesn't want anonymous people on the internet picking her house apart...understandable.
Well if we don't have the details we cannot give specific advice.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
It's beyond me why anyone would seek internet advice as to why his/her house is not selling.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Nothing to do with the town(s) - it's the price point that is selling. People are buying there because they are cheaper.

I find it funny all the folks here who are drooling to see the listing - which I find hilarious. Even chasing the OP to other forums.

None of us need to see the listing to comment on this thread. The OP's house isn't selling because it isn't priced right - period. All the rest is just silliness.

If someone asks a question and then doesn't provide enough info to get an answer, is it wrong to wonder what the listing looks like? What it is priced at? What $200K in improvements looked like? It could be priced right compared to comps, but the improvements only appeal to a small group of buyers.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If someone asks a question and then doesn't provide enough info to get an answer, is it wrong to wonder what the listing looks like? What it is priced at? What $200K in improvements looked like? It could be priced right compared to comps, but the improvements only appeal to a small group of buyers.
I'm curious to see what $200k in improvements gets you too, my "total cost to rebuild" on my insurance policy isn't too far north of that figure...

Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I'm curious to see what $200k in improvements gets you too, my "total cost to rebuild" on my insurance policy isn't too far north of that figure...

there are probably 3 things at work here.

1) your total cost to rebuild may be low, or lower in quality compared to the OP's materials. the total cost to rebuild may not include nice finishes, hardwood floors, medium to high end kitchen, it may be based on builder grade crap that is similar ot what the home came with back in the 1950's, 60s 70s, 80s.

2) it is expensive to renovate compared to build new, especially when working around finished rooms etc and doing extensive renovation on other parts.

3) OP may have paid too much on the renovation, or put in some high end items that really aren't any "better" than the norm, but cost a lot. designer toilets, sinks, vanities, faucets.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
This market is a buyer's market. People are only looking for bargains. No one is looking to buy a house that is "fairly" priced, they want a steal.

My wife and I are closing on our first home in two weeks. We're paying $290k for a 3000sq ft home in Islip...

When we were shopping we didn't even waste time with houses that weren't priced BELOW market value because the honest truth is that the demand sets the value and if other people are willing to let their houses go for less, then yours really isn't worth as much as you thought it was.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
This market is a buyer's market. People are only looking for bargains. No one is looking to buy a house that is "fairly" priced, they want a steal.

My wife and I are closing on our first home in two weeks. We're paying $290k for a 3000sq ft home in Islip...

When we were shopping we didn't even waste time with houses that weren't priced BELOW market value because the honest truth is that the demand sets the value and if other people are willing to let their houses go for less, then yours really isn't worth as much as you thought it was.

Does it need any work, or is it turnkey? $290 sounds like a good deal.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
there are probably 3 things at work here.

1) your total cost to rebuild may be low, or lower in quality compared to the OP's materials. the total cost to rebuild may not include nice finishes, hardwood floors, medium to high end kitchen, it may be based on builder grade crap that is similar ot what the home came with back in the 1950's, 60s 70s, 80s.

2) it is expensive to renovate compared to build new, especially when working around finished rooms etc and doing extensive renovation on other parts. Yes, Anything inside the walls and not readily visible, headering off a room, moving a wall, bringing electric to code, etc., certainly won't be visible in a picture but will add to the expense of a remodel.

3) OP may have paid too much on the renovation, or put in some high end items that really aren't any "better" than the norm, but cost a lot. designer toilets, sinks, vanities, faucets. While the homeowner might have liked the style, the buyer might be put off by it.
I believe that's why many of us would like to see pictures -- to get a handle on what was done, what sort of items s/he went with, etc., to justify trying to recoup $200K in the asking price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island