Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
In Asia, because of the climate, there is actually a terrestial predator that feeds on the tigers when they are perching - the common (to Asia) house lizard. So the tigers can get eaten by bats when they fly, and they can get eaten by lizards when they perch. There are no terrestial tiger predators in the US Northeast. Yet even then, tiger mosquito populations in Asia can get out of control but not necessarily to the same degree that I'm hearing in LI from this thread.
Last year I saw a few (asian tiger skeeters), this year none. I got rid of some trees and have little to no shade and despite the heat have never been happier, with fewer bugs (except the earwig influx of the last 3 years), less to rake 4 seasons and fewer bird and squirrel condo complexes. If I want shade, that's why God made umbrellas! See, finally I found something to be NIMBY about, but I'm very literal...when I say Nimby, I really mean "not in my back yard!" Actually I do find the worst spot for them is the mulch. Must be the moisture trapped in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
I think the mulch is where they would nest (hiding place); not necessarily where they would breed. You need to get rid of mulch. Also they love to find shelter in outdoor bars and cabinets so need to remove those also or regularly spray with Raid.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,936 times
Quote:
Where would you go other than the city? It seems to be an issue in Westchester and NJ as well.
My pipedream? Abroad. The fact is I really can't imagine only being able to enjoy the outdoors 2-3 months out of the year. Cutting down trees and not having grass or flower beds also sounds kind of radical.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
It must be hard for the wild mammals and birds. Imagine them being swarmed by these asian tigers and not being able to do anything about it - can't apply Off, can't stay indoors, can't spray Raid, can't scratch, can't move to another neighborhood. It must be living hell for them.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM

573 posts, read 1,243,153 times
Quote:
It must be hard for the wild mammals and birds. Imagine them being swarmed by these asian tigers and not being able to do anything about it - can't apply Off, can't stay indoors, can't spray Raid, can't scratch, can't move to another neighborhood. It must be living hell for them.
They can go in the water. Asian Tiger is actually referred to as an urban mosquito, and they are said to not travel further than 1/2 a mile from their breeding ground, so they may not be such a problem for animals in the wild.

GMalo, can you tell more about the Nile 2000 trap? Have you noticed an increase in your electric bill? Does it work as well as advertised? Any complaints about it?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
Long Island has a very low bat population. It used to be higher many many years ago.
Your confirmation led me to check online. I found this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/ny.../10batsct.html

Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 AM

79 posts, read 92,037 times
DIY mosquito trap -

This looks good in theory,

DIY MOSQUITO TRAP pesticide FREE mosquito control Solar Powered Fan West Nile Virus - YouTube

Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM

51 posts, read 257,328 times
I visited a friend of mine who lives in Bellmore a few blocks off of Sunrise hwy. We sat in his yard for a good hour and not once did I get bit. I kept wondering to myself how come he doesn't have any mosquitoes around. It was then I realized the Dragonflies flying all over the place. They actually eat mosquitoes. It was rephreshing being able to sit outside and enjoy the weather. Where I live in Baldwin it's a totally different story. Does anybody know how could I get Dragonflies to populate my yard?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,467 times
I live in Kings Park and we have the exact same problem. I have even had the outside of my house exterminated 2x...Once at end of April and the next time in beginning of July. I do live next to the woods so I'm assuming that doesn't help. However, i think it's a lot worse this year than it's ever been.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 AM

103 posts, read 200,740 times
I have to agree with this. We moved out here two years ago and were thrilled to have a back yard for our little guys. Put up a nice playground, got a nice grill, and we can't even use it! We can't walk outside for 10 seconds without being swarmed. It probably doesn't help that the previous owner of our house was an avid gardener. Our yard looks like a tropical paradise...we loved it until we realized about the mosquitoes. I looked into exterminators, landscapers, those propane machines...everything.

Having it sprayed is expensive and will only work temporarily. The mosquito magnets that run on propane cost a fortune, they cost even more money (and time) to maintain, and they probably do more for your neighbors than you (unless you have a HUGE lot). I was ready to forfeit my yard...so I tried those stupid hose attachment sprays at Home Depot..Eco-Smart is a total waste of money and probably makes the problem worse! But as someone else here mentioned earlier, the Off stuff is incredible..I sprayed that, and I was watching those little #%&*$ coming out of the grass as I did it. It seems to work on both the regular mosquitoes and the Asian Tigers. It repels and KILLS them. I must have wiped out an entire generation the first time I did it because we all had the best BBQ in the yard (note: if you're as frustrated as I was, don't try this on a weeknight for the first time)...had so much fun I had to put a dent in my overstocked cooler and had a rough go the next morning at work. That Off stuff really works. There was nothing flying in our yard that first night. bugs, birds, planes, nothing. That stuff killed everything. Seriously, no damage to the grass or plants (or the kids for that matter)....one bottle sprayed our yard twice..about 3500 sq ft.

I've used it a few times since and we get the occasional bugger but nothing close to what it was, if you have a real problem, you should notice a huge difference the first time you use it...Take your yards back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island