Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,758 times

Advertisements

Newsday's site is running a headline proclaiming the MTA wants to raise LIRR ticket fares by 9%! Isn't this special.

What's remarkable is the service is still the same crappy, slow service, only the cost has gone through the ceiling since '08. If I take the family into the city, it's now cheaper to drive and park downtown with a coupon than it would be to pay for each person's LIRR fare (off-peak).

Not to mention the crappy schedule on my line. Metro North just announced 65 additional trains on the Harlem and Hudson lines, something you'll never hear from the LIRR. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Newsday's site is running a headline proclaiming the MTA wants to raise LIRR ticket fares by 9%! Isn't this special.

What's remarkable is the service is still the same crappy, slow service, only the cost has gone through the ceiling since '08. If I take the family into the city, it's now cheaper to drive and park downtown with a coupon than it would be to pay for each person's LIRR fare (off-peak).

Not to mention the crappy schedule on my line. Metro North just announced 65 additional trains on the Harlem and Hudson lines, something you'll never hear from the LIRR. Thoughts?
Moderator cut: language removed ridiculous! Everything keeps going up...except my salary.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM

3,531 posts, read 5,720,327 times
Quote:

I didnt get a 9% raise, why should they.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:

I've been doing the bold part for some time now, especially when I go to the theater. It is cutting it too close trying to get to Penn Station for the train home right after a show lets out.

Icon parking coupon I use is: $16 (tax included) M-F enter after 6PM; up to 10 hours parking. $16 anytime Sunday for 10 hours; $20 Saturday anytime 10 hours. LIRR I am looking at $11.75 one way off peak or $94 for my family

Increase fare to line whose pockets? This is ridiculous highway robbery which they can get away with because they know commuters have limited options.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,538,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I didnt get a 9% raise, why should they.
Because "there" health premiums went up, insurance premiums went up. And they contribute Zero! Someone has to pay.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
Unfortunate, But true that in this city, The costs can and will keep rising despite incomes staying the same or decreasing, making it very difficult to balance things and esp hard to save money for emergencies or retirement if that is even an option for people of my generation in the future.

New york is a great city, unlike any other and has great people but being here for life-Does not seem productive for the long term for most working folks. Sad to say it it there it is.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM

19,271 posts, read 17,143,423 times
I guess this eliminated the "great mass transit" that so many boast is an advantage to living on the island. It would seem that beyond the normal m-f commute that you ar better off to drive if traveling in especially with a family. What a shame..

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM

247 posts, read 483,752 times
I propose that if the MTA can make 1 week of my morning/night commute uneventful, they should get the 9%. So far, that's like asking them to move mountains. I don't go 1 Godforsaken week without either one of the following:
  • a long wait for the subway
  • a subway that needs to stop at a station or stop in between stations for more than 5 minutes becuase of their lovely "train traffic ahead" catch all excuse
  • a LIRR train in the morning that is late. Late is late...don't care how the LIRR spins it as it being more than 5 minutes. They create new defintions for late all the time.
  • an afternoon LIRR debacle that includes a canceled train or tunnel issue

I cannot think of 1 week where they can't go without any of those things happening. Its ridiculous and laughable that they can't provide incidence free service and ask us foot their rising costs every couple of years. As the costs and fares go up, they come up with more excuses and "definitions" for late and on-time performance.

If I tried to tell my employer that 5-10 minutes late doesn't mean late, he/she would laugh in my face and tell me to put an egg in my shoe and beat it.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,992,965 times
Living 2 blocks from the LIRR, we hardly use the train to access NYC. We were in Manhattan 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

We always drove in, found street parking, and used the Metro to get around. Driving in is quicker, cheaper, and more comfortable. Not to mention you're not restricted to the LIRR schedule!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,766,758 times
Lot's of good points... bottom line is, yes, we are paying for the MTA's long line of incompetent management (which runs right up to Albany, since senior managers are usually politically appointed) right down to the plush retirement packages of all the union workers. Oh, and throw in a fair amount of disability fraud while we're at it.

From the commuter's perspective, it's grim and getting darker all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island