Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Baldwin is by no means fantastic but it is decent if you dont have the $$ to live somewhere like Merrick. If you are a good parent and care about your child's education and are involved in it, most likely your child will do fine in any school district. If this wasnt the case no one would ever graduate from lower-ranked schools with high GPA's- I mean come on, do you think every child in Baldwin is doing poorly?
I don't want to be rude or disrespectful but I find your adamant defense of Baldwin to be a bit "homerish". I could understand that you like the neighborhood and it suits your needs but the price comparison between Merrick and Baldwin are off. The price of a home in both neighborhoods are not that far off from each other. I have been looking for a house in both areas, along with Lynbrook, East Rockaway (Lynbrook SD), Bellmore, Wantagh, and Massapequa. We found houses that we liked in all of these areas that were in our budget.

The major difference between all these neighborhoods and Baldwin is the school districts. Baldwin does not have a very good school district while all of these other neighborhoods do. I understand that it is up to the kid to make something of him/herself but when you have issues with other kids and teachers then you are putting your child in an environment to fail. Everyone else here, including myself believes that you could do much better than Baldwin. I think its time for you to come to grips with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
First of all I dont love Baldwin, i dont even like it- not bc of the schools, i just dont find it aesethetically pleasing, but i wouldnt rule out living there just bc its not pretty. Secondly, what does "homerish" mean... I dont live there. Thirdly, i wasnt the original poster of this thread and fourthly there are others in this thread that feel the way I do so I'm not sure why you are singling me out.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Baldwin is by no means fantastic but it is decent if you dont have the $$ to live somewhere like Merrick. If you are a good parent and care about your child's education and are involved in it, most likely your child will do fine in any school district. If this wasnt the case no one would ever graduate from lower-ranked schools with high GPA's- I mean come on, do you think every child in Baldwin is doing poorly?
You and I have a different understanding of the word "decent." I do not think a high school that has gunplay and stabbings at the homecoming football game is "decent." Sorry. Too ghetto for me. Do I think every child in Baldwin is doing poorly in school? No. Absolutely not. I think the OP can do better elsewhere and that's all I'm saying, period. I think the OP can afford better than Baldwin. Maybe you'll accept criticism of Baldwin schools better coming from an actual resident who recommends PRIVATE SCHOOL:

Searching for a house in Nassau County. Which is best for our situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I live in Baldwin. I love where we are, technically south Baldwin (Baldwin Harbor). I have not really seen bad crime where we are, I have left my car door unlocked and nothing was stolen. We have a good mix of singles and families with kids on our block.

The houses in our area range from low 200s to 400k range depending on size. If we were to sell our 2 bedroom Bungalow (with basement, attic, garage and driveway), we would probably get 250k for it because the market is great for buyers now. Our taxes are around $6k with STAR.

The only downside is that the school district (Baldwin) isn't that great. My husband graduated from Baldwin HS and he even admits the demographics have changed dramatically since he was a student there. If you are ok with sending your kids to a private HS, you should have no problems though.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You and I have a different understanding of the word "decent." I do not think a high school that has gunplay and stabbings at the homecoming football game is "decent." Sorry. Too ghetto for me. Do I think every child in Baldwin is doing poorly in school? No. Absolutely not. I think the OP can do better elsewhere and that's all I'm saying, period. I think the OP can afford better than Baldwin. Maybe you'll accept criticism of Baldwin schools better coming from an actual resident who recommends PRIVATE SCHOOL:

But good schools have these issues too... Ever hear of the Mepham football fiasco? Drugs and violence are rampant at a lot of LI schools not just the bad ones.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
But good schools have these issues too... Ever hear of the Mepham football fiasco? Drugs and violence are rampant at a lot of LI schools not just the bad ones.
Well then, since according to you it does not matter if parents are selective about school districts, we might as well fall in line behind Mr. Bitterness and recommend Hempstead and Freeport! I'll add Roosevelt to the mix too! However, I bet when you become a parent you will be singing a different tune.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:

You are quite the NIMBY-ist aren't you? You are correct that we define "decent" differently. Stabbings aren't happening every day in Baldwin HS, and frankly I am pretty sure and anyone else who claims Baldwin SD isn't that great makes that determination simply because the percentage of minority/black students in the area are greater than say, Bellmore or Merrick. And stalking my old posts is so gauche . Crime happens in EVERY school - did you not see that article a few years ago about certain school districts and police precincts that UNDER-REPORTED crimes just because they were afraid of how badly their precious community or SD would be perceived? PUHLEASE. Just because crimes and drug related offenses dont make the front page of Newsday from Kennedy or Mepham HS does not mean it doesn't happen!

Last edited by LegalDiva; 10-22-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
You are quite the NIMBY-ist aren't you? You are correct that we define "decent" differently. Stabbings aren't happening every day in Baldwin HS, and frankly I am pretty sure and anyone else who claims Baldwin SD isn't that great makes that determination simply because the percentage of minority/black students in the area are greater than say, Bellmore or Merrick. And stalking my old posts is so gauche . Crime happens in EVERY school - did you not see that article a few years ago abouit certain school districts and police precincts that UNDER-REPORTED crimes just becaues they were afraid of how badly their precious community or SD would be perceived? PUHLEASE. Just because crimes and drug related offenses dont make the front page of Newsday from Kennedy or Mepham HS does not mean it doesn't happen!
Playing the racism card as a last resort I see. Is that the same thing as saying "the demographics have changed dramatically since he was a student there?" Pot calls kettle black.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Well then, since according to you it does not matter if parents are selective about school districts, we might as well fall in line behind Mr. Bitterness and recommend Hempstead and Freeport! I'll add Roosevelt to the mix too! However, I bet when you become a parent you will be singing a different tune.
Actually, if I had kids, I wouldn't have a problem with sending them to Baldwin HS. (and before someone brings it up, no I am not black - my husband is 1/2 German). Heck, Freeport works fine too. I believe education at home is the key to a child's success and development.

My parents were pretty anal about teaching me how to read before I started Kindergarten. My Kindergarten teacher went straight to my parents after the first week of school and told them out of all the 22 kids in my class, I was the only one who could read a book from start to finish without any help (and I was 1 of only 8 students who were native Spanish speakers to boot). She was floored because other kids' parents simply didn't care. I graduated in the top 10% of my NYC public middle school and high school (including a school I went to in 9th grade that had the highest rate of student related violence) - all because my parents and family emphasized education and drilled it into me to do my best.

The reason parents are afraid of moving into a house with school districts like Baldwin and Freeport/Roosevelt is simply because over 50% of the students are Black, plain and simple.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:

Hold on a sec, this same person LegalDiva contradicted herself in these two post. In the first link you provided the user claimed that:
The only downside is that the school district (Baldwin) isn't that great. My husband graduated from Baldwin HS and he even admits the demographics have changed dramatically since he was a student there. If you are ok with sending your kids to a private HS, you should have no problems though.

And in this post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/26598550-post14.html

The user claimed:
Baldwin is a good distance from the city...close enough to do door to door in 40 min and the schools are not any worse than Bellmore, Merrick or Lynbrook. In fact, Baldwin HS announced 4 students who just qualified for National SemiFinalists in Intel according to Newsday....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Playing the racism card as a last resort I see. Is that the same thing as saying "the demographics have changed dramatically since he was a student there?" Pot calls kettle black.
How is that pot calling the kettle black? The demographics are plain as day. There are more people from Hempstead and Elmont/Malverne/Rosedale, etc moving into Baldwin and the percentage of minority students have increased but does that mean it makes it a "bad" school district ? Theres a distinction there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island