Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,619 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I have a tenant here that pays monthly with all utilities included (does not have any bills except for the monthly rent)

We lost power early on Monday and have not had it yet (like a lot of other people but at least we are safe). My father brought out his generator for us to use about 2 days ago. We gave a line to the tenant and told her that she can plug her tv/cable box, a lamp, and charge anything she needs to.

We do not keep the generator on at night as to not upset the neighbors. Thursday night my brother turned the generator off 3 minutes early as it started to sound funny. She came up the next day upset that she missed the last 3 minutes of her show. We explained that we will not be keeping it on later because we do not want to keep the neighbors up and because it is very difficult to find gas (we stayed on line for 2 hours already)

She became upset after this and told us it is not right that she can not use the generator for more stuff and that it goes off at 11pm and she works later on in the day. The she said that she should be getting electric money back for the month since she doesn't have electric and is cold/sick. Her rent has everything included and I am just not really sure how to address this. We have really tried to be nice to her by giving her a wire to use and bringing her candles and a flashlight on the night of the storm and even lowered her rent by $150 bucks a month... but she claims we are taking advantage of her.

I am just concerned now that it might turn bad because afterwards she complained about more things such as we should buy her new blinds for the bathroom because the ones there are not good enough.

I am really not sure of my rights and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
She is full of beans. If she is displaced, then you might owe her something. but she isn't displaced, she is choosing to stay there. She will have to tough it out just like everyone else w/out power. I do not know your LL tenant laws...They will be listed at the top of this forum, by state. You could check. But this in not you being a negligent LL...in fact it sounds like you are going out of your way. Document all that you're doing, and reducing the rent really isn't necessary imo but it is just another example of you going out of your way. If she hasn't missed a beat living there, she probably won't even qualify for displacement money through FEMA. You are a really decent LL. Hope others are as caring as you. Stay safe, and from North Dakota....sending prayers your way....been through a flood myself.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,658 times
Personally I'd tell her to go $&@)@ herself. You have done WAY more than you are required to and she should be grateful. I feel bad for you and I DEFINITELY would not give her use of the generator anymore since she doesn't appreciate it. Just tell her that letting her use the generator has caused more problems than it should have and you are under NO obligation to let her tap into it. Is she contributing to the cost of gas it takes to run it or has she stood in line for hours to get that gas? Sounds like you got a real deadbeat there.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Thank's guys for the replies.

I was just really caught off gaurd because we really do try to be nice and hepful... After we said no about keeping the generator on longer she brought up other complains like that she can hear us walking upstairs when she's trying to sleep (she doesn't work typical hours and we try really hard not to walk loudly but the floors and stairs are squeaky). I know a lot of people are on edge because of the outage and stuff, it's just really hurtful.

Good Luck to you all on everything from the Hurricane. Stay safe and thanks for the help.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
If she doesn't like the way in which you are allowing her to use the generator, then just tell her she can't use it anymore. I am SURE there is nothing in your lease about the use of a generator.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Thank's for the response. No the lease doesn't say anything about a generator lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
If she doesn't like the way in which you are allowing her to use the generator, then just tell her she can't use it anymore. I am SURE there is nothing in your lease about the use of a generator.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,920 times
What Latin American country has she come from? Perhaps she's been amazed by indoor plumbing, or heard those stories about the streets of America being paved with gold. It could be that your neighbor is among a crowd of people who wrongfully believe that the world owes them a living. You could have and-fed her with kindness and courtesy but somehow she feels more entitled, a typical foreign parasite who comes to America to suckle upon our benevolence, to claim those benefits which they have not earned. Sure, we can have compassion for our fellow citizens, but just as easily, we can fall victim to the bedbugs of eternal grubbing, those select few who would be hard pressede to wipe their own fannies after taking a monster dump. We miss our internet, toutchy bastards that we are, but your tenant wants more than you can deliver, an unreasonable point of view. Search out your internet friends and be firm in the fact that you have done your part, that there will always be those who are never happy, no matter how much support that you offer. Be sure in the knowledge that you have done the best that you can do at this point in time. Be sure to understand that there are people in this world who'll never be happy, no matter how hard you try to please them. Take it into your mind that they are only children in understanding, they know not what they do. Between cellphones, texting and twitter, we as people have not even been orselves. Half of me is proud of our humanity, half is sorely disappointed. I've come a long way in life, please don't let me die in a gas line.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM

180 posts, read 312,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
What Latin American country has she come from? Perhaps she's been amazed by indoor plumbing, or heard those stories about the streets of America being paved with gold. It could be that your neighbor is among a crowd of people who wrongfully believe that the world owes them a living. You could have and-fed her with kindness and courtesy but somehow she feels more entitled, a typical foreign parasite who comes to America to suckle upon our benevolence, to claim those benefits which they have not earned.
In my experience, foreigners coming from poor backgrounds tend to show less entitlement than residents.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
In my experience, foreigners coming from poor backgrounds tend to show less entitlement than residents.
I agree. The tenant is probably a white American.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM

200 posts, read 456,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I agree. The tenant is probably a white American.

agreed 2x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island