Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 19,829 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
First of all sorry for lot of mistakes but my english is not really good.
I'm from Poland and I will fly to US- Port Washington, NY soon.
I would like to get some information about this city, about place to spend my free time, getting friends, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyflower View Post
Hi everyone
I would like to get some information about this city, about place to spend my free time, getting friends, and so on.
Are you moving here to live or just visiting? Are you looking for a home?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Hi everyone:)I'm from Poland and I will fly to US- Port Washington, NY soon. I would like to get some information about this city,
For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the Port Washington Public Library (the library can suggest which local newspaper might have this information and other possible sources of information):

Port Washington Public Library
One Library Drive
Port Washington, NY 11050

Tel: 516/883-4400
Fax: 516/944-6855

eMail: reference@pwpl.org

Port Washington Library

It is important to note that Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet.

The pertinent geography:

Previously known as Cow Bay (the NYS legislature officially changed the name to Port Washington in 1857), Port Washington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County. (I'm including after my name a NYS Geographic Glossary with the NYS definitions of county, city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone.)

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Baxter Estates, the Village of Port Washington North and the Village of Sands Point; on the east by the Port Washington Harbor on the south by the Village of Flower Hill; and, on the west by the Village of Plandome Manor and Hempstead Harbor.

And, as occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Port Washington has a different border than does the "Port Washington, NY 11050" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Port Washington mailing address and not be in Port Washington).

.................................................. ...acres
.........Hamlet of Port Washington.....2,732
.........Port Washington, NY 11050....6,652

Thus, about 3 out of every 5 places with a "Port Washington, NY" mailing address are NOT in the Hamlet of Port Washington.

Quickly eyeballing the map overlay of the "11050" postal ZIP code versus village and hamlet borders, the following 6 communities (5 villages and 1 hamlet) seem to be at least partially within the borders of the "Port Washington, NY" postal zone and hence places in these communities can have a "Port Washington, NY" mailing address (if the community is a village, its year of incorporation is shown inside the parenthesis):

.................................................. .......acres
Village of Sands Point (1932)..............2,743
Village of Port Washington North (1932)...315
Village of Manorhaven (1930)...................326
Village of Baxter Estates (1931)..............109
Hamlet of Port Washington..................2,732
Village of Flower Hill (1931).....................427*

* The Village of Flower Hill has a total area of 1,095 acres, and this is the area serviced by the "Port Washington, NY 11050" postal zone. The Village of Flower Hill's other 668 acres are in the service areas of either the "Manhasset, NY 11030" or the "Roslyn, NY 11576" postal zones.

I hope this information is useful or, at least, interesting.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan

. Cities, Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Postal Zones in New York State

New York State is divided into counties.

County
A county is a municipal corporation, a subdivision of the state, created to perform state functions; a "regional" government. All counties are divided into cities, towns and Indian reservations.

City
A city is a unique governmental entity with its own special charter. Cities are not sub-divided, except into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Town
A town is a municipal corporation and encompasses all territory within the state except that within cities or Indian reservations. Towns can be sub-divided into villages and hamlets.

Village
A village is a general purpose municipal corporation formed voluntarily by the residents of an area in one or more towns to provide themselves with municipal services. The pattern of village organization is similar to those of a city. A village is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Hamlet
A hamlet is an unincorporated area in one or more towns that is governed at-large by the town(s) it is in. A hamlet is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Postal Zone "City" and "Town"
A postal zone "City" and "Town" is an administrative district established by the U.S. Postal Service to deliver the mail. Postal zone "City" and "Town" may not (but are encouraged to) conform to municipal or community borders. Thus, postal zone location does not always determine city, village or hamlet location.

Please be aware: In many areas of New York State, the problem of non-conforming postal zones leads to a situation where the majority of places have a different community name in their mailing address than the community where that place is actually located.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 10-04-2007 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Corrected acreage statistics

Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM

491 posts, read 828,531 times
Quote:
Hi everyone
That depends
How old are you, single, have a dog (dog run at Christopher Morley park)?
I knew some Polish Nanny’s in Port Washington.

I live 65 miles east of Port Washington now in Mattituck, its 80-90% Polish. They are all nice and polite, they actually say hello and hold doors. No undesirable people dare come lurking like they do in Greenport and Riverhead.
I come back to Port Washington to visit my mom I feel like I'm in a hostile country.
I got "the finger" today 2 times from fat ugly SUV soccer moms for not speeding fast enough (45MPH in a 35) down Shelter Rock Road

-Joe

Just a word of advice;
If you’re coming here to be one of those "imported" nanny’s be careful!!
The vile "Miracle Mile" snoots up there will try and turn you into a personal slave if they sense weakness.
It very rare you get a nice family in 2007

Last edited by Joe L; 10-04-2007 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM

hi,
thx for yours replaces
I come to port washington in 5 of November and i will be an nanny. I don't know excactly but i think that i will be live in part of flower hill
oh one more question. I love different kinds of sports Are there any sport center, swimmingpool or something like that in pw?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
I don't know excactly but i think that i will be live in part of flower hill.
Flower Hill is a village (incorporated in 1931) in the north-central part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Flower Hill is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: these places have either a "Roslyn, NY 11576", a "Manhasset, NY 11030" or a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 10-17-2007 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Correct phrasing

Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,782 times
Don't go to Port Washington. Go where the other Poles go. I recommend these places:

Greenpoint, Brooklyn
Ridgewood, Queens
Copiague, in Suffolk County
North Babylon, in Suffolk County - yes, we welcome the people of Poland.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM

hehe maby Port Washington is village or hamlet, i don't know but is near to NY, so I think it's not a problem to go there in my free time :P

Only 17 days and I will be there )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island