Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Why would they care?

They know nothing will come of it, even if all of Suffolk knows it.
It's a sin because so many county employees were laid off , and unemployment is over 8% (and is probably much higher than that) . I'm sure there are plenty of taxpaying residents in Babylon that could fill this position. Even more amazing - Newsday had just a small article on this buried well inside the newspaper. Where is the outrage ? I suppose as one earlier poster stated , we Long Islanders have just come to accept this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Cronyism in Suffolk politics? No, say it isn't so.
Faith is a precious commodity, missed most, when needing faith in those chosen few who are charged with stewarding us,
guiding us into fiscal responsibility and into a sound but sensible economy. I've lost my faith in the whole system.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Cronyism in Suffolk politics? No, say it isn't so.
Faith is a precious commodity, missed most, when needing faith in those chosen few who are charged with stewarding us,
guiding us into fiscal responsibility and into a sound but sensible economy. I've lost my faith in the whole system.
Well put.

I don't believe I'd mind the out-and-out corruption if these reprehensible politicians were able to get anything done, but it seems like we just keep on paying and they keep on lying. Things on LI are not getting better, our taxes and expenses keep on rising and there's no one at the controls.

Gee, I sure hope the real estate market is robust in the spring, because it's time to leave. Actually it was time to leave three years ago... but that's hind sight for you

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM

414 posts, read 808,901 times
We need to follow a lot of the middle east countries and overthrow our own government, only way anything will ever change!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
We need to follow a lot of the middle east countries and overthrow our own government, only way anything will ever change!
We need to hold our politicians to the letter of the law and where the laws are unclear or not applicable, rewrite them. We need term limits at every level of government.

Why should the elected scum of LI not care what the voters think (except during election time) when such captains of government from Albany are not punished... guys like Joe Bruno, Pedro Espada (awaiting sentencing, Carl Kruger, and many, many more.

How sad it is for the people...

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
This kind of stuff has been going on for years. County and town payrolls are loaded with unqualified relatives and friends, whose only talent may be selling tickets to the party's fundraising dinners. Even worse, this cancer extends into many areas where we are being fleeced, from special taxing districts to school districts to fire departments. Because we allow this to happen, we don't have the visionaries and professionals in government who could move the Island forward. We keep voting these knuckleheads into office, then we wonder why Long Island governments are so corrupt and why the quality of life is declining here. If you want an answer, go look in the mirror.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It is no better in Nassau! Nassau County needed a new Deputy Director for Senior Affairs. So, does Mangano put out an ad nationwide seeking someone with the right qualifications for the six-figure job? Heck NO! He just hires Al D'Amato's daughter. Know what her qualification are? Mother of six or seven and experience working as a part-time clerical in a small insurance agency on Long Island.

And that is just ONE of the sickening appointments.

Another one was Mangano hired Marty Schwartz, infamous for his webpage that is a human cesspool known as the Schwartz Report for the connected LI civil servants. Well Marty finally got there too with a job paying over $80K that he is not qualified for and that is not even an "essential" position, just an $80K plus benefits and pension position made up specifically to be a gift to another Mangano supporter (on us of course).

I won't even go into the sickening den of patronage waste that is Kate Murray's Town of Hempstead. The woman used to employ her 80 year old father at an extremely high rate of pay as a paralegal (he has no experience as a paralegal of course) until she was exposed doing it and shamed into retiring him. Of course that didn't stop the blue hairs and NIMBYs from voting her back into office.

Local politicians are stealing from the taxpayers and spitting in our faces at the same time.
A friend of mine worked wtih her and shared plenty of eye rolling stories. She had the biggest office on the floor. When Mangano laid off more than half the people working on that floor last year on New Year's Eve, guess who got to stay on? She may, I think, have a law degree, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM

592 posts, read 919,982 times
What a joke. Who's up for filing an ethics inquiry?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
You people dont get it...they dont care!!

Why would they? Look at LI as a whole and the percentage of people who show up for a vote. What is it like MAYBE 40%? And out of those folks 30% are friends and relatives of a running candidate.

Bubbathedog is right..sadly the people here on LI have become accepting to all the b.s. that goes on.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
A friend of mine worked wtih her and shared plenty of eye rolling stories. She had the biggest office on the floor. When Mangano laid off more than half the people working on that floor last year on New Year's Eve, guess who got to stay on? She may, I think, have a law degree, but I don't know that for sure.
Then she never passed the Bar Exam because she is not a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island