Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just like on the thruway if your using an EZ Pass you must enter/exit through a Toll Booth. If you fail to scan out upon arriving at your destination then they bill you for the entire length of that run. Good incentive to select the correct exit option. For scanning I am thinking wifi because it's easy to register and provides a unique identifier for each user.
Well not everyone's phone has Wi-Fi and they would need to turn it on and it would have to register with the network. I can tell you that I am not waiting for my phone to bounce back and forth between Optimum wi-fi and an LIRR network before I leave the station to get in my car. The network would also get overloaded really fast since upwards of 100s to 1000s of people could be trying to connect at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Well not everyone's phone has Wi-Fi and they would need to turn it on and it would have to register with the network. I can tell you that I am not waiting for my phone to bounce back and forth between Optimum wi-fi and an LIRR network before I leave the station to get in my car. The network would also get overloaded really fast since upwards of 100s to 1000s of people could be trying to connect at once.
I think the app could would take care of it. If I was arriving at a station I just turn on an app, all the receiver has to do is register the address not provide connection. The phones app would process that it registered at the station of entry so the conductor (if checking) can see proof. Even when I travel many of the tolls I pass can take 2 or more weeks to register. The app would be the same with the computer matching entry/departure points and deducting the appropriate amount.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think the app could would take care of it. If I was arriving at a station I just turn on an app, all the receiver has to do is register the address not provide connection. The phones app would process that it registered at the station of entry so the conductor (if checking) can see proof. Even when I travel many of the tolls I pass can take 2 or more weeks to register. The app would be the same with the computer matching entry/departure points and deducting the appropriate amount.
You are making it more complicated that has to be or should be.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Yes, he should MINUS the ticket puncher since we don't need to pay him as his hole puncher is now obsolete ... nor do we need to pay him and fund his early disability retirement pension at age 50 to play golf every day.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:

Learn something about networks and then try again.

Although maybe you're a ticket puncher and you don't want anyone to get any ideas?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Learn something about networks and then try again.

Although maybe you're a ticket puncher and you don't want anyone to get any ideas?
Wi-Fi would not be the answer to this. I am not a ticket puncher. I know more than a few things about networks. This is not E-z pass with a special chip in it. The questions was about using Wi-Fi and yes it could be done, but you would need a LOT of antennas and nodes to handle all the bursts of people coming thru. People are not going to wait for their wi-fi to sync up, get a dhcp address and transmit. You would need e-z pass style or chip style communication or cell phone network style connectivity. And you would need it for a 1000foot section or more (12 cars x 85 foot per car).

Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I don't think I am. If you have a WiFi capable smart phone this is an option. And from what I see in public this appears to be applicable for most users over 8 years of age.

1) With the WiFi on you turn an app on, lets call it LIRR EzPass. Sounds catchy ...

2) Enter the station with your WiFI turned on. The Mac address is already registered because you chose to participate in this program.

3) In the split second the wifi registers the app is now cable of showing a visual display confirming which station you entered if a conductor was present to ask you for proof.

4) Upon arrival at your destination you exit through the ExPass gate(s) and thats it the computer calculates the cost and subtracts it. The app will probally give you the cost if you want it.

Whats complicated?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I don't think I am. If you have a WiFi capable smart phone this is an option. And from what I see in public this appears to be applicable for most users over 8 years of age.

1) With the WiFi on you turn an app on, lets call it LIRR EzPass. Sounds catchy ...

2) Enter the station with your WiFI turned on. The Mac address is already registered because you chose to participate in this program.

3) In the split second the wifi registers the app is now cable of showing a visual display confirming which station you entered if a conductor was present to ask you for proof.

4) Upon arrival at your destination you exit through the ExPass gate(s) and thats it the computer calculates the cost and subtracts it. The app will probally give you the cost if you want it.

Whats complicated?
What's complicated is the 1-2 mins sync up, get DHCP and get on the network depending on your device. It does not register in a split second. People would also have to block out/disconnect from any other wi-fi source (Optimum, etc...). Where you exit the train may not be the same place you exit the station, means moving nodes.

Multiply this by a few hundred, maybe over 1000 people at once...

how do you handle the fact that the wi-fi can be blocked by the trains themselves. I know for a fact that wi-fi/cell gets messed up depending where in the train you are sitting and/or what type of train (old M3s for example)

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
What's complicated is the 1-2 mins sync up, get DHCP and get on the network depending on your device. It does not register in a split second. People would also have to block out/disconnect from any other wi-fi source (Optimum, etc...). Where you exit the train may not be the same place you exit the station, means moving nodes.

Multiply this by a few hundred, maybe over 1000 people at once...

how do you handle the fact that the wi-fi can be blocked by the trains themselves. I know for a fact that wi-fi/cell gets messed up depending where in the train you are sitting and/or what type of train (old M3s for example)
Let me try and answer your points:

1) sync up is not required because the Node of the phone is just broadcasting and the antenna just has to record that. Another option is to have the phones display show a unique barcode that you pass over a scanner as you enter the station. 1 to 2 mins to synch up what kind of network is it the Nassau County Goverment Offices?

2) I know with my phone I only connect to authroized wifi's all other just notify me of their presence.

3) Identifing your departure point would be by passing through the "most common" exit point from the tracks. If Penn has 4 tunnels from the tracks (I'm not that familiar) then have receivers in those 4 locals. You can also have Kiosks like they do for parking that you again scan a unique bar code.

Look this is just an option and probally far easier than using some form of a metro card, in a kiosk just to get a ticket.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Let me try and answer your points:

1) sync up is not required because the Node of the phone is just broadcasting and the antenna just has to record that. Another option is to have the phones display show a unique barcode that you pass over a scanner as you enter the station. 1 to 2 mins to synch up what kind of network is it the Nassau County Goverment Offices?

2) I know with my phone I only connect to authroized wifi's all other just notify me of their presence.

3) Identifing your departure point would be by passing through the "most common" exit point from the tracks. If Penn has 4 tunnels from the tracks (I'm not that familiar) then have receivers in those 4 locals. You can also have Kiosks like they do for parking that you again scan a unique bar code.

Look this is just an option and probally far easier than using some form of a metro card, in a kiosk just to get a ticket.
1) Sync is required because you need a full IP stack to talk. What scanner? thats not wifi, thats smart chip.

2) Optimum wifi will interfere

3) most common exit point?? have you ridden the LIRR?? there are 20 "common exits" at ronkonkoma, at least 10 in hicksville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island