Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times

Advertisements

OP could also buy a POS cheap house that he can probably put very little down on. Get a small mortgage and pay a contractor cash to bring it up to snuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedesi View Post
I really hate to see all the nasty and hateful responses that were posted to my simple question. First off even if my parents did work of the books they have never used any of foodstamps or medicaid. Unlike all the lazy bums on LI they get up every morning at 4am and drive a taxi cabs until 8 or 9pm to make a nice life for their children. Let's not pretend that all these blue color Irish Italians who live on LI pay all their taxes and do everything by the book. We have met plenty of construction, plumers, electricials who were begging us to pay them partially or fully in cash, so lets not get all bent out of shape.

Getting back to my question, all I gather from your responses is that there is no way for me to legally purchase a house.
Yes, there are plenty of ways for you to legally buy the house with that money. The question is, how many problems do you wish to start for your family who earned the cash off the books and didn't claim it?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM

193 posts, read 271,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Sounds like you had your knickers in a knot over a legal program...yet feel someone skirting the law is OK?
Congrats, found a post of mine from 2008. You looking for cool points?

My attitude since moving to LI has drastically changed.

I am out for mine any way I can get it. Screw all of you.

Now I feel like a true Long Islander.

Best of luck OP!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Do you want it regular or extra crispy?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedesi View Post
I really hate to see all the nasty and hateful responses that were posted to my simple question. First off even if my parents did work of the books they have never used any of foodstamps or medicaid. Unlike all the lazy bums on LI they get up every morning at 4am and drive a taxi cabs until 8 or 9pm to make a nice life for their children. Let's not pretend that all these blue color Irish Italians who live on LI pay all their taxes and do everything by the book. We have met plenty of construction, plumers, electricials who were begging us to pay them partially or fully in cash, so lets not get all bent out of shape.

Getting back to my question, all I gather from your responses is that there is no way for me to legally purchase a house.
You may want to check with an accountant and/or attorney as opposed to basing any decision off of the the "collective wisdom" of this crowd.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm late onto this thread, but if the newlyweds deposit the $400K into an account, the parents are working off the books and sign an affidavit stating the large amount was a gift, won't it trigger any red flags with the IRS?
Thats a very good question. I am not a tax attorney so I do not know the ramifications or how they would go about this. My guess is that if OP chooses to apply for a Mortgage loan - they will want to see bank statements going back 6 months or maybe 1-3 years (depending on the bank) showing the $400K cash is already there. If the Parents gift the son $400K and sign an Affidavit attesting to same, I do not see why Underwriting should push for more information by implicating the IRS. The IRS may choose to investigate based on the CRT report of a suspiciously large deposit. How they would go about investigating the parents specifically is anyone's guess. The bank/underwriting dept will want to close the loan because the $400K is already sitting there in the account. My initial hunch (dont quote me) is that the bank isn't going to care.

If the OP decides just to stick the cash into an account - let it sit there for at least 2 or more statement cycles, and brings it to the closing table - why would the title company care? I guess I am not seeing how the IRS would be tipped off here..I dont really know but now I want to do some outside research on this particular scenario to find out.. My guess is the bank isn't really going to care - they want to see OP can swing the taxes/insurance on the loan, and in so doing will ask for at least 3 months of bank statements and pay stubs to ensure a steady income.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 01-31-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Forest_Hills_Daddy They are more educated and would be more productive to their (town, city, state, country) than some of these spoiled kids that we pay $20k a year in taxes to send to school but because they don't look, talk like the Jonny or Billy = are immigrants people automatically they live off public assistance and are being supported by their tax dollars. We Americans are the most entitled, obnoxious bunch of people I have ever met. (I love the you're in America speak English but the first thing an American does when he goes on vacation to a foreign country is to ask do you speak English) We are the only country where a majority of the people do not speak more than 2 languages.
so you're comparing Americans who might be on vacation for a week or two and are almost entirely interacting with people in the service industry (hotel employees, waiters, etc.) to permanent residents of a country? Ok then!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Apparently driving taxis is the best kept secret for becoming rich in America. Who knew you could bank $200k to just give away?
your savings also get a nice bump due to all those personal hygeine products you don't have to purchase.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
your savings also get a nice bump due to all those personal hygeine products you don't have to purchase.
I chuckled but, perfect example of what nycbk was trying to say.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
NO! New York Times ran a story a couple of years ago about legal immigrants with college degrees who can't find work in college-level fields. Hence they are reduced to underemployment. Even in Manhattan and Queens I came across taxi drivers and waiters from south asia with engineering degrees. On a visit to Fordham U, I met a security guard from Ghana who graduated from SANDHURST. They are all here legally but cannot work for mainstream companies because their resumes are being ignored by employers. And we wonder why many of them work off the books...
The NY Times has been discredited decades ago for its style of bloviating journalism.

Any DesiBoy or DesiGirl with a decent education in a needed job field will get work. They are in demand in the IT field for example. And lets not compare the security guard from Sandhurst...he's only qualified to join the army...engineers?, tough field at the moment too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island