Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,964,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I am surprised many of you agree with being taxed on gifts, and some of us wonder how the govt gets away with overstepping there boundaries

If i give my kids, or could give my kids 400k i sure as hell don't want the govt taking a dime from it.
Especially if you never paid a dime to the government when you earned it to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I am surprised many of you agree with being taxed on gifts, and some of us wonder how the govt gets away with overstepping there boundaries

If i give my kids, or could give my kids 400k i sure as hell don't want the govt taking a dime from it.
I think you're misreading peoples' posts - it's not the tax on the gift they are concerned with, it's the fact that the parents earned the cash without paying tax on it. Did you miss the part where the OP mentioned his parents "work off the books"?

I think the OP understands the paper trail that is going to be created and wants to avoid it.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,917 times
I didn't read that part of the parents worked off the books, my mistake... i just re-read it and noticed i went right over that part and skipped that sentence to the next...

Well that brings a whole new situation, well you can talk to the homeowner and have him hold the note and give him cash every month at a large sum fairly quickly over a few years i guess...

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Fourth, give the OP some credit for posting on here. I think it shows he feels a bit uncomfortable about accepting and using the money. He seems to be more honest than either set of parents.
I liked your post, but I disagree with this part. The OP did not appear (to me) to be uncomfortable with the tax evasion; in fact he seemed rather matter of fact about it. What I read is that he was asking for advice to complete the illegal transaction.......just looking to figure out how.....

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,964,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I liked your post, but I disagree with this part. The OP did not appear (to me) to be uncomfortable with the tax evasion; in fact he seemed rather matter of fact about it. What I read is that he was asking for advice to complete the illegal transaction.......just looking to figure out how.....
Agreed. not only is he ok with it, but he's already found a house in Hicksville to buy.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Thanks. Maybe I read it too quickly. Anyway, if you report a $400K cash gift -- and its sources -- and you're only making $60K a year, I wonder if it raises any red flags at the IRS. I suspect not. Either they don't have enough resources in that agency or they don't care enough to track down all the serious violators. Either way, something has to change.

I also like the way the OP assumes that all immigrants don't pay taxes. Nothing like fueling the stereotype.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
But just remember...stereotypes dont come out of thin air...there is a reason for it.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM

193 posts, read 271,514 times
I think you need to consult a trusted accountant or similar. Not this forum.

You will find no good help here.

Just a bunch of people tearing each other down and counting everyone else's money.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Just a bunch of people tearing each other down and counting everyone else's money.
don't forget the gun nuts!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedesi View Post
I recently got married and as a wedding gift my parents and my wife’s parents promised to buy us a house. I should mention that we are Indian and both our parents, like other immigrants work off the books. So when promised to buy us a house what they actually did is hand us $200K each in cash and said go and buy yourself a house. I work legaly and make about $60K per year, my wife is sitting home with our first baby. I put all that money into a safe deposit box for safekeeping. We have found a house that we like in Hicksville for $389K, however my dilemma is how can I buy a house with that money, I am afraid to put in into checking or savings account for fear that I will be investigated by IRS, and banks would’t give me a large enough mortgage to qualify for the house we want. Basically I have the cash to pay for the house but don’t know how to pay for it. I hope that clarifies my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please send me a DM and let me know what your parents and what your in-laws do for a living off the books where they can give $200K each as a gift. Seriously, I would be interested in a career change to a tax-free career that is somewhat lucrative, and what they do seems to fit the bill! I also have "desi" connections, so if it requires interfacing with that community, including speaking the language(s), I can do that too.

As for the advice you are asking for, Elke Marriotti gave the best information. You need to see an accountant for the best way to transfer this cash into a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island