Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

I am an educated mild mannered Hispanic man who group up in Queens, my wife is a high school teacher in Brooklyn, we are raising a 5 year old boy and a 14 year old girl. Hopefully another child at some point in the future.
We are middle class people looking for a good place to live.
Though I have read some offensive stuff on this forum regarding living near Hispanics and blacks I can certainly appreciate the honesty and identify. I live in an area that was once a very diverse working-class area of proud home owners. Unfortunately over the years most of the people have sold their homes to developers or have chosen to rent the house out. Now my neighborhood is mostly made up of black renters. There is nothing wrong with that but I find my family is not ghetto enough (as we are quiet and cultured), we do not care about rims on a car, listen to hip hop, dress in dark colors and have our pants hanging around our ankles. I know this sounds prejudice or stereotyping, but it's the damn truth. My children and I no longer fit in. It is a safe neighborhood so I don't fear break-ins or anything but want a better environment for my kids. But I have no interest in living in a neighborhood that is not open to having "people who do not look like them" living nearby.
So, I am seeking honest unbiased opinions about the areas that I am considering and can afford (not looking to be raped in taxes- I don't believe that high taxes is a good indication of a good area as Roslyn has been a wasp's nest for officials who have stolen and embezzled millions). Do not hold back, if you think that there are too many blacks or Hispanics or if the neighborhood would not want me there, its fine- I'll just avoid it then, here are the areas I have been looking at:
Lindenhurst, Copiague, Babylon, Commack, Deer Park, Islip (not central), Sayville, Bohemia, Holbrook, Patchogue, Medford
Please do not suggest Elmont, Hempstead, Freeport, Central Islip, Brentwood, Amityville- too black or fresh-off-the-boat Hispanic for me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Bay Shore.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,758 times
Well, what do you want an area? How far do u wanna commute to?

Almost your whole post was centered about race. What about everything else, lol?

I do think Islip would be a good fit for you out of those. There are a decent amount of middle class hispanics there.

Also remember that some towns on the island have a good amount of what many people would call "White Trash"; and they could be just as bad. It's really more about class than race when it all comes down to it. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens are you from?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM

27 posts, read 77,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromQueens View Post
I am an educated mild mannered Hispanic man who group up in Queens, my wife is a high school teacher in Brooklyn, we are raising a 5 year old boy and a 14 year old girl. Hopefully another child at some point in the future.
Though I have read some offensive stuff on this forum regarding living near Hispanics and blacks I can certainly appreciate the honesty and identify. I live in an area that was once a very diverse working-class area of proud home owners. Unfortunately over the years most of the people have sold their homes to developers or have chosen to rent the house out. Now my neighborhood is mostly made up of black renters. There is nothing wrong with that but I find my family is not ghetto enough (as we are quiet and cultured), we do not care about rims on a car, listen to hip hop, dress in dark colors and have our pants hanging around our ankles. I know this sounds prejudice or stereotyping, but it's the damn truth. My children and I no longer fit in. It is a safe neighborhood so I don't fear break-ins or anything but want a better environment for my kids. But I have no interest in living in a neighborhood that is not open to having "people who do not look like them" living nearby.
So, I am seeking honest unbiased opinions about the areas that I am considering and can afford (not looking to be raped in taxes- I don't believe that high taxes is a good indication of a good area as Roslyn has been a wasp's nest for officials who have stolen and embezzled millions). Do not hold back, if you think that there are too many blacks or Hispanics or if the neighborhood would not want me there, its fine- I'll just avoid it then, here are the areas I have been looking at:
Lindenhurst, Copiague, Babylon, Commack, Deer Park, Islip (not central), Sayville, Bohemia, Holbrook, Patchogue, Medford
Please do not suggest Elmont, Hempstead, Freeport, Central Islip, Brentwood, Amityville- too black or fresh-off-the-boat Hispanic for me.
You seem to be more concerned about race rather than price point, schools, taxes, restaurants, and overall quality of life. Why is that? What exactly are you looking for?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
What's your budget, where do you work and what are you looking for in a town? Might be more helpful to address these things along with the race issue.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Once again, on LI most of the middle class areas with decent schools care more about the condition of your lawn and cars than the color of your skin. Unless you're black, in which case they're scared to death and will likely slap up a century 21 sign in a heartbeat. Just sayin'.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromQueens View Post
I was going to defend you after the first poster put Bayshore but no not at all. Also please do not come to Deer Park, we don't like anyone. I think Bayshore, Brentwood and don't cross Amityville off your list they are all perfect for you. Think about this if you move to one of the too black areas you can look down at everyone else like you already do. (you know like the girl that keeps the ugly girl around to make her look good)

Wow you sound more racist than half of the fools on this board. Well where are my manners. Welcome to the board you will fit right in.

Last edited by nycbrooklyn; 02-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: miss spelled words

Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Once again, on LI most of the middle class areas with decent schools care more about the condition of your lawn and cars than the color of your skin. Unless you're black, in which case they're scared to death and will likely slap up a century 21 sign in a heartbeat. Just sayin'.
So that's why my neighbors put their house up for sale. I thought it was a coincident that all of my neighbors decided to move away after we bought. Oh well I will sleep better tonight knowing that it's so easy for me to scare white people on Long Island.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
For someone saying not concerned about race, you seem to be very concerned about race.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
For someone saying not concerned about race, you seem to be very concerned about race.
No he is not racist. He just disike blacks and hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island