Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I am well aware of that. It seemed that he was suggesting I move to Sea Cliff. My point is that not all of us can afford to live in places like Sea Cliff. I do not see commuting from Ronkonkoma to NYC as an acceptable quality of life, and it is something that I will do whatever it takes to avoid, unless I have absolutely no choice.
While the more expensive communities in western Nassau County get lots of play on this board to the point that those not familiar with Nassau think "that's all there is and I cannot afford it," there still are some areas that are as affordable to the middle class as Ronkonkoma and have a reasonable commuting time to Manhattan.

I agree with you that commuting from Ronkonkoma takes too long, yet many people actually do it. They probably got roped into buying a house out in Suffolk and thought they could "handle" it. If they actually tried the commuting out beforehand for a couple of months, I wonder if they would pull the trigger and buy out there. I strategically placed myself on the border of Queens because I knew I wanted to work in Manhattan, not on Long Island, so I can understand people in Suffolk being leery of working in Manhattan because of the commute as I myself would not put up with it either. However, working in Manhattan can be a lot better than working on LI: higher wages, better atmosphere, much more professional offices and people, upscale as opposed to downscale, dowdy LI. I get depressed if I have a day off and visit a friend or relative at their office on LI. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Big difference between the commute time to Sea Cliff and eastern Suffolk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Central suffolk. Eastern suffolk is east of william floyd parkway.
Quote:
Only if you live in Smithtown
No, only if you use a map and know how to divide by 3.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
While the more expensive communities in western Nassau County get lots of play on this board to the point that those not familiar with Nassau think "that's all there is and I cannot afford it," there still are some areas that are as affordable to the middle class as Ronkonkoma and have a reasonable commuting time to Manhattan.
What areas are you recommending? Are the school districts any good?

Quote:
I agree with you that commuting from Ronkonkoma takes too long, yet many people actually do it. They probably got roped into buying a house out in Suffolk and thought they could "handle" it. If they actually tried the commuting out beforehand for a couple of months, I wonder if they would pull the trigger and buy out there. I strategically placed myself on the border of Queens because I knew I wanted to work in Manhattan, not on Long Island, so I can understand people in Suffolk being leery of working in Manhattan because of the commute as I myself would not put up with it either. However, working in Manhattan can be a lot better than working on LI: higher wages, better atmosphere, much more professional offices and people, upscale as opposed to downscale, dowdy LI. I get depressed if I have a day off and visit a friend or relative at their office on LI. Yuck.
But working in NYC also means longer hours, worse benefits, and a more cuthroat atmosphere. What do you mean by "better atmosphere" and "more professional offices and people"?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
No, only if you use a map and know how to divide by 3.
Between this and your response to mongoose on the witch thread it's obvious you have no sense of humor.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But working in NYC also means longer hours, worse benefits, and a more cuthroat atmosphere. What do you mean by "better atmosphere" and "more professional offices and people"?
What ILLI means is harder work + more competitiveness = higher pay.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Between this and your response to mongoose on the witch thread it's obvious you have no sense of humor.
How do you convey humor in a text mesage...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Plus I don't know where in the world he gets the idea that the "benefits are worse" in Manhattan.

I find the benefits offered in Manhattan to be superior in every way.

On LI, you see cheapo benefits that don't cover much if you actually get sick, schlock companies that make someone pay the total cost of bennies for their dependents OR outright refuse to cover dependents (I know someone right now who used to be covered under her husband's LI employer and the employer made a new policy and outright dropped all employee dependents) OR even advertise that there are no benefits with the position and the employee has to either pay full cost (I know someone working in a LI office doing this) or people should not apply for the job "unless they are covered under another benefit plan."

Those types of policies, which I personally have only heard of on LI, not Manhattan, are "better?"

As for his idea that Manhattan has longer hours. Please. The only firms in Manhattan that do longer hours (40 hour basic workweek) are accounting firms and they pay more because of it. Almost all other firms in Manhattan the basic workweek is 35 hours. In contrast on LI, you will find lots of employers wanting 37-1/2 to 40 hour minimum workweeks.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That's nothing. Go see the wack answers and comments I am getting on "LIRR fare hike in effect for April 2013?" LOL!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's nothing. Go see the wack answers and comments I am getting on "LIRR fare hike in effect for April 2013?" LOL!

Thats because of your wack remarks. If you want to have an intelligent discussion then lets have one. If you want to go off tearing a profession or 2 thats not a debate, its a rant.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Your base salary might be higher in Manhattan, but from what I've seen from my peers that work in Manhattan, their benefits are worse (so their total compensation isn't as great as it seems), and their working hours are longer (so they effectively make less per hour). Even if you are someone who enjoys working long hours (I don't), there are still hidden costs of working longer hours. You may have to hire people to do chores you would have done yourself. You may have to pay someone to mow your lawn, which you may have been willing to do yourself. You don't have time to shop around and look for bargains. I'm sure there are others. And I'm not even talking about the time and money cost of the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island