Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Seriously, this was said before by Twingles....L.I. is one of the only places that you need the support of your family to survive.
You must have lived all over the country in order to make such a definitive assertion. Please, tell us more about your experience in these locales!!!
Quote:
I don't what it is? Is it misery likes company? Are people to busy to become friendly to each other like in the south?
you mean where they get married to family members?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You hear this argument often but I find it hard to accept. Your over 18, college educated or posesses some form of skills; get a job and move out. I am sorry but if you attend college, get a degree and can not find work then you either wasted 4 plus years on a degree that has no value or you need to leave and go where the jobs are. I realise that it won't be easy at first but thats part of growing up and at some point you have to open the door, walk out and start being accountable for yourself.

I have one that asked if she could live at home for a year and offered to pay rent. We said yes but wouldn't take the rent instead she does some chores. She works a good job and is tripling up payments on her college loans so in a year when she can transfer with her company she will be as close to debt free as possible. That we can support for the year but we allready have plans for her room...lol
OMG!

"Returning to the nest" is happening in Virginia too? But I thought that was such a low cost of living PARADISE? Why couldn't she rent in one of those brand new and ridiculously cheap apartment complexes they keep building with the free new carpets and drapes and appliances for each tenant? I thought abundant, modern, cheap housing for the young was available everywhere but LI!

The way people on CD talk, seems returning to the nest only happens on LI. Wake up out there! Lots of returnees to the nest in all parts of the country. Our most recent recession has recovered as per stock market profits, but it is a jobless recovery. All over the country. Not just on LI.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is Long Island seeing an exodus of its Younger Folk ages 20-40yrs? If so where are they headed besides Manhattan? Is there a fantasy land that all the younger folk left on the Island talk about? Is there even lots of talk about leaving the Island?
Yes, and it's been happening for over 30 years.

See the PDF of the 1978 Newsday series that I link to in this thread:

Long Island at the Crossroads: Newsday Series from 1978

There were tons of young LI'ers escaping brutal LI way back then too. Why is there still so much traffic here after all these decades? I'm still waiting for less traffic with all the dire "Exodus" stories. It keeps getting worse.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well then where are they headed? Is there a single, or a handfull of locales that passes along the Long Island grapevine, and attracts the most people? Or is everyone just spreading out anywhere they can with no collective mindset?
Are you asking because you're trying to figure out where NOT to move?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
You must have lived all over the country in order to make such a definitive assertion. Please, tell us more about your experience in these locales!!!

you mean where they get married to family members?
I stick by with what I said. If you agree or not doesn't matter to me.

I'm not going to get into a pissssing match and take this to a level it doesn't belong.

Keep it civil and mature my friend Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
What COL increases??? The benefits are ok, to anyone who thinks govt workers live off the hog has no idea what they are talking about. we still have copays, still pay towards our health plan and still have deductables on prescriptions.
The LIRR gives COL increases. Stop kidding around.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I seem to be the only person on this board who feels that proximity to family is something you cannot put a price on, and that relocating is something I would only do as an absolute last resort.

To the people who relocated and are far from their family, I have 5 questions:

1. What do you do when you need a relative to watch your kids for a few hours, if you don't live near any relatives?

2. What do you do when your parents become elderly, and need care that they can no longer provide for themselves?

3. How do you avoid getting lonely when you have no family that you can visit?

4. How do you find a job when you move to an area where you know nobody and have no professional contacts?

5. If you have to use up all of your vacation time visiting the family that you abandoned, do you ever get to take a real vacation?
Add another 3 questions:

6. How do you afford the triple price airfare on the only times you can travel to see your relatives (during the kids' official school vacations)?

7. Is it really enough to only see your family once or twice in a whole year?

8. Is it really enough for your kids to live like strangers to their grandparents because they are so far away? (FULL DISCLOSURE: I experienced both sets of grandparents moving out of state when I was in elementary school plus taking my aunts and uncles with them because they were still young. I HATED only being able to see them in the summer and having to choose which set of grandparents to see in the summer as they did not live in the same location. I was a really seasoned traveler as a little kid that's for sure. I HATED not having them with us every holiday. Thank God we had great neighbors that were like family, but it still wasn't like growing up with my own grandparents, uncles and aunts around.)

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-02-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Right... this is where those of us with insurance get to pay for those who dont have insurance.. The founding fathers are spinning in their graves....
Save the boo hoos. Actually, those who don't have insurance will have to BUY it for themselves OR get fined come income tax time and they cannot prove to the .gov that they bought it all year. See Massachusetts (already has such a plan).

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
That's a very good point on the second ammendment. Are our rights being infringed upon. How can it be feasible for a wait time of over 1 year to obtain a pistol license in Nassau?
What do you NEED a pistol for? Get a rifle and learn how to shoot straight. Even kids can do it.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I stick by with what I said. If you agree or not doesn't matter to me.
If you do in fact have experience living all over the country and have a well informed opinion on this supposed "problem", then by all means tell us more!
Quote:
I'm not going to get into a pissssing match and take this to a level it doesn't belong.

Keep it civil and mature my friend Thanks!
I'll do my best. But can I ask your advice on something? Do think it's "civil and mature" to make multiple posts that exist only to bait other posters in a forum focused on area in which one used to reside? I'm really struggling with this one. Seems like you'd be a good person to weigh in on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island