Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,652,604 times

Advertisements

I went out east again today to do some strawberry picking with the kids and stopped by my new favorite place- Schmitt's Farmstand!! They have a small farmstand on Sound Ave and they sell Homemade prepared horseradish and produce. They grow the horseradish on their farm. It is the greatest thing in the world. This stuff is nice and hot. Tastes super fresh and clears your sinuses after the first bite. It is so much better than the jarred crap we have at every jewish holiday. From now on I am bringing a few jars of this.

I just wanted to let my fellow Long islanders know about the islands best kept secret. I have nothing to do with this place except that I love their horseradish. I'm a dumb guinea who knows nothing about farming.

Their website is Holy Schmitt's

Do yourself a favor and buy some if you like horseradish. It a little bit cheaper if you buy at the stand vs online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Thanks for the tip!
I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm out that way! Love that they have different varieties too - and nothing but fresh ingredients

Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
I do take trips out east every other weekend and usually take 25 to Greenport and then follow it up and take Sound Ave back. In the past we would stop at places like Harbes and the big log cabin farmstand on 25 which smells great. You can also stop into any of the wineries and get a bottle of wine pretty cheap. At Drossos miniature golf course in Greenport they have the snack bar which sells regular snacks, buckets of chicken,etc... Also on the border of southold and Greenport on Sound Avenue you have a little place that you can eat out on the covered porch, i think it is now called Eric's. It used to be North Fork Foods/Grille. After a long work week it's nice to have a relaxing weekend. Heading out there does it for me and the family. Also close to Osborne Ave intersection (on Sound) there is a place that does pies. Been in there once but the variety was insane.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM

260 posts, read 450,924 times
Good stuff. I bought mine at Briermeres.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:51 AM

186 posts, read 526,203 times
if you buy fresh horseradish anywhere and you plant it in your yard you will have the freshest hot horseradish you can find. dig up a root, wash it off, grind, mix with a little white vinegar. you have horseradish for ever. no 2 hour ride anywhere.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:55 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
^Very true and you can make you own relishes. It's very easy.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,901 times
Thanks so much for the shout out! We strive to make fresh, HOT horseradish, so we love hearing how much it's enjoyed! Next time you're out east please stop in and visit. If you don't have plans to be on the east end in the near future, you can always get your horseradish fix by visiting our website: [mod]no website promos please (even though I love your farm) [/mod]

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-14-2014 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: