Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

17 posts, read 89,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Don't say that poster lost all credibility...b/c he or she is entitled to their opinion...and to be honest, I could not agree more! We are so lucky to live here- Long island is beautiful, the beaches def. are the best, the people rock, everything about it rocks.
hahahaha, Long Island sucks, were so unlucky to live. Its so expensive, thats why everybody is leaving! Im heading down to Florida, gonna be a nice big house for half of what it would cost here, no snow, smooth roads etc
I guess some people enjoy rude people, ridiculous traffic, NY DMV, insane real estate prices and taxes, not me though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't know. I have yet to be blown away by another country's beach. We're spoiled with LI's beaches. I'm always disappointed when I travel.
me too...nowhere else in the world has what we have and nowhere else in the world do they enjoy the hugh quality of life that we do. Yes it's expensive to live here...but it's nice and well taken care of..and a very all-around good place.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
What do I love about LI?

*driving down Ocean Parkway in the winter...day or night.
*the convenience of beautiful beaches
*all the harbors and the boating communities
*accessibility to NYC, JFK & LGA for travel
*everything is at your fingertips!
*no shortage of restaurants
*the different seasons

Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,292 times
Quote:
me too...nowhere else in the world has what we have and nowhere else in the world do they enjoy the hugh quality of life that we do. Yes it's expensive to live here...but it's nice and well taken care of..and a very all-around good place.
I'll have to disagree with you about it being "well taken care of", if you've traveled the world you'd know our ability to build things sucks, we have 40 year strip malls that are falling apart and houses & fences built out of plastic but there are 400 year old buildings sitting in saltwater in Amsterdam's canals among other european cities. Our roads are terrible vs. other places in the US & they are littered with trash everywhere along every highway. you don't see that in Europe or even many other places in the US.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyD View Post
hahahaha, Long Island sucks, were so unlucky to live. Its so expensive, thats why everybody is leaving! Im heading down to Florida, gonna be a nice big house for half of what it would cost here, no snow, smooth roads etc
I guess some people enjoy rude people, ridiculous traffic, NY DMV, insane real estate prices and taxes, not me though!
have u seen the quality of life of people in other parts of the country? We are so lucky to be so affluent.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I'll have to disagree with you about it being "well taken care of", if you've traveled the world you'd know our ability to build things sucks, we have 40 year strip malls that are falling apart and houses & fences built out of plastic but there are 400 year old buildings sitting in saltwater in Amsterdam's canals among other european cities. Our roads are terrible vs. other places in the US & they are littered with trash everywhere along every highway. you don't see that in Europe or even many other places in the US.
Well, I think the overall large population on LI contributes to the increase in trash. If you were to drive down a highway in the outlying suburbs of Detroit, you'd see trash there too.

Our 400 yr old buildings are still standing too. I don't think it has to do with LI's poor ability to build things. All over this country there are 40 yr old stripmalls aging and need repair, not just on LI.

Same goes for the roadways...higher population, hence they take more abuse. Plus our weather doesn't help (snow plows, etc.)

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,292 times
Quote:
have u seen the quality of life of people in other parts of the country? We are so lucky to be so affluent.

Quality of life IS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE!!!!!
Holy mother of god, just because other places in the country are lower income does NOT mean those people aren't living GREAT, HAPPY, FUFILLED lives. Not everyone WANTS a plactic mcmansion, 2 gas guzzling SUV's & a jumbo mortgage!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't know. I have yet to be blown away by another country's beach. We're spoiled with LI's beaches. I'm always disappointed when I travel.
Yep

I think the California beaches suck too.
Dirty and cold.

C

Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Quality of life IS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE!!!!!
Holy mother of god, just because other places in the country are lower income does NOT mean those people aren't living GREAT, HAPPY, FUFILLED lives. Not everyone WANTS a plactic mcmansion, 2 gas guzzling SUV's & a jumbo mortgage!!!
Where...in what post...did I mention our income level affecting our quality of life? Is it not true we do have a good quality of life here? Have you ever lived upstate NY? I have. What a terrible way to live.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Yep

I think the California beaches suck too.
Dirty and cold.

C
Depends on why you go to the beach.

My favorite beach in the world is in California, Drake's Beach, at Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore. And the beach at Coast Camp, at the same place...that one, you must hike to, therefore there is no garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island