Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

More than forty years ago I lost my wallet near The Museum of Natural History . I had given up any hope of ever finding it again when it arrived, with everything inside , to my house with a wry suggestion that I be more careful. The finder's last name was Vera, the same as my Mom's first one so I remembered it.

Years later, a brave man jumped in front of a rushing subway train to save another person's life . That man was Anthony Vera.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-16-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 AM

111 posts, read 223,199 times
I used to work at a movie theatre when I was in college, and let me tell you, I had enough nasty customer horror stories from that experience to write a book (or three). Guess it's something about working a minimum wage job that makes some people feel entitled to treat you like dirt.

While I remember many of those nasty customers, there was also this one guy. It was a completely mundane transaction, he just bought his tickets and went on his way, but I still remember how he made eye contact with me, smiled in a friendly and genuine way, and gave me a really nice thanks at the end.

Not that I was ever rude before, but ever since having that job, I've gone out of my way to be super-polite to wait staff, cashiers, etc., because I want to help make up for all of the jerks they have to deal with the rest of the time. I believe strongly in random acts of kindness and in paying it forward. This was a nice story that you shared, so thank you!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Tonight a short time ago I was ordering at my favorite pizzeria on Long Island. My order was completed as I was attempting to pay , I realized I forgot my wallet. A lady behind me overheard the confusion. To my disbelief she paid for my meal (12.55). This lady refused my name and contact information, also not providing hers for repayment. This proves there are wonderful people living on Long Island. Thank you Miss Long Island.

That's awesome but like others have said, there are good people in the world, not just LI. Pay it forward. Random acts of kindness go a long way

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Tonight a short time ago I was ordering at my favorite pizzeria on Long Island. My order was completed as I was attempting to pay , I realized I forgot my wallet. A lady behind me overheard the confusion. To my disbelief she paid for my meal (12.55). This lady refused my name and contact information, also not providing hers for repayment. This proves there are wonderful people living on Long Island. Thank you Miss Long Island.
Nice...I guess. Personally I wouldn't let a stranger pay for my food because I forgot my wallet. I'd try to work it out with the pizza guy and come back in 10 mins. with the money. Just me I guess. One thing to be in an accident or stranded and need help. Another to just be inconvenienced and have someone else pick up the tab. Ok, let the whiney comments begin.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I think the lady just wanted her food. I've done it with seniors who for some reason will break into negotiations over the price of their fast food or extras they feel they should get.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Last year, I was trying to come back from the city after a long day. Since I had taken the West Hempstead train to the city, I had to transfer somewhere. I thought I could take the train to Valley Stream and then transfer from there, since I've done it before. I was given the wrong advice by a conductor at Jamaica and the train I was on wasn't going to transfer there until 2 hours later.

I was pretty upset because I had been up since 4 in the morning and it was now close to 7 at night and I wanted to get home. There was an older lady who stepped forward and gave me $5 and another younger man who gave me $10 for a cab ride home. It restored my faith in humanity for the time being.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Thank you for sharing something good

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Thats a nice experience and thanks for sharing.
I'll try that at the car dealership and see if there are any more nice people left

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
The Mobil station on Merrick road and hickesville road helped me out a lot during the storm. Have 2 repay great businesses like his.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM

80 posts, read 104,611 times
There can be only two explanations why this happened.
1- You were not in Long Island- somehow you time travelled to another state.
2.- you were really asleep and dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island