Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 52,280 times

Advertisements

If Dix Hills aint beautiful then I dont know what is. DH is probably as nice as your gonna get on LI. I guess you have to be Malibu or Beverly Hills to please some people.

Jericho looks average to me, it looks just like Salisbury and Westbury except maybe a tad bit flashier (dix hills actually looks rich).

..why drop 1.2mil on a plain-looking house that would cost half as much in an almost as equally good district in SE Nassau for example. And HHH is probably better than Jericho since they are a big district and have much more programs.

But hey, its a free country..

Last edited by Britney5000; 07-30-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
Remember that although Dix Hills may be pretty, most of your amenities (eg grocery shopping, errands, etc) will take place at locations outside of Dix Hills, and such locations are not exactly "beautiful" to most beholders.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM

149 posts, read 317,642 times
You go to East Northport/Jericho Tpke for your amenities which is not exactly an eyesore. To the OP - it is all a matter of preference. If you want a large lot, a large house, a totally residential neighborhood with no convenience stores, a school that offers every activity possible, are OK with No village, do not want to be by the water, want to be by the highways, and want no traffic congestion on the local streets , DH is great. It is true we do not have kids playing in the street. We don't want our kids playing in the street - there is no need. They have large backyards, many with pools/sports courts etc and that is where they play. Or they are busy playing sports or other activities through the school or other neighborhood programs. I will be honest - a neighbor moved up to CSH and I looked there as well. CSH is beautiful. He sold his house for $1.25mm, spent the same amount on a tear down in CSH, tore it down and spent more to rebuild. Then he had to build a pool and tennis court to get what he had in DH. The schools are great, but didn't support the same sports HHH did, so they are in neighboring town programs. Driving time to anywhere is the same as he has to trek north. No diversity whatsoever. I didn't see the point in moving. But I still looked - next in Old Westbury. Also beautiful. But the traffic on the Nassau County roads whenever you had to leave drove me crazy. Look, everyone has their own preferences. I just get agitated when people make comments like "No Mans Land" and "built on cheap land." People don't fork over $1mm+ for houses in Suffolk (ex Hamptons) unless they think it is worth it. And everyone has different requirements that make it worth it or not. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Remember that although Dix Hills may be pretty, most of your amenities (eg grocery shopping, errands, etc) will take place at locations outside of Dix Hills, and such locations are not exactly "beautiful" to most beholders.
where exactly are the beautiful grocery stores?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
I would move to Dix Hills in a heartbeat, but we don't have the budget for it. We drive through those neighborhoods and it looks like a beautiful place to live.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
My folks lived there years ago. The schools are highly rated . . . with taxes to match. My take on the area is that it's kind of a No Man's Land for kids. You need a car for everything and the neighborhoods seem kind of isolated.
this the the case for the vast majority of LI. Even in areas with the always desireable "walkable downtown", most of the community has to drive to the downtown!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM

149 posts, read 317,642 times
Stop n Shop on Jericho next to Best Buy - what's wrong with that? Or the one across from Mercedes further west. They are not exactly in the slums of LI.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
Stop n Shop on Jericho next to Best Buy - what's wrong with that? Or the one across from Mercedes further west. They are not exactly in the slums of LI.
That whole area is great. We might be moving soon and we're going to miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island