Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hey in the Family Lane house, is that a fridge right next to the front door? How convenient! I can come in from work and instantly grab a cold one....
Isn't that what every homeowner wants? To walk into their house and immediately be in the kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 AM

67 posts, read 125,107 times
At a combined income of about 150k you are still living tight? I would think living moderately at least..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM

59 posts, read 271,410 times
You can buy house in LI with your girl friend . By yourself, yes but you cant live only on your salary as all your salary will be spend on Morgage, tax, insurance and car and half utilities thats it. Others should be your gf. Food and half utilities and so on. Why I know as your situation n my situation is pretty close. .
My husband make around 60K so its about same salary as you . Chase bank prequalified for my husband 240K with 90K downpayment which is 330K total.
But just remember you have to pay about 10K for closing fee excludes down payment.
If 90K is all your money put on house, I guess 310-320K is max as you can go based on Chase. I am sure You may go more with your girlfriend on Morgage
you people will definitely struggle.
And if your girl friend is new grad and less than 2 year experience, the rates may go up so I don't recommend you put her on her Morgage. Ask lender the rates and find out for the details.

The morgage n tax, insurance its about $2000/month, my husband spend about $300/ month for his car n harf utility will be
$300/month, $200 for his lunch then most of his salary will be gone.
I make about $650K then I pay half utilities
our dinner, my lunch,my car, dinner for us
and save the left.
Remenber you have to pay daycare or nanny $1000-1300/ month if you have kids.
If you can go Ronkonkoma or West islip
or something not Nassau County as Nassau house is normally more than 300K and tax is higer for good school district. you can buy cheeper than $300K in Suffolk.
I am working in the city so we will buy house
its under contract 31K which is in Nassau n 40-50 min to the city. But I have saving $200K cash more for emergency in the case if one of us get sick, pragnant or lose job and so on.
If you only have 90K for downpayment and you or your girlfriend doesnt have cash 3 times more than her or your income for emergency,
try to go lower as possible unless you people both working as military, police officer or something very stable.
Many people got into default if one of them get sick, pragnant or lose job.
I found nice house around 250K in Ronkonkoma and 270K in West Islip recently we concider it but it's more than one hour commute so we probably go 305K as we have just got agreed with seller n succeeded to 325K house down to 305K 6 rooms 3bed n 2 bath house.
The housing market is on bottom n the rates are rising so it's time to buy house.
If one percent goes up you will pay more than 10K than right now.

Hope it helps!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 PM

59 posts, read 271,410 times
One correction, I am making 65K not 650K!!
I wish I could make this much ;(

Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hey in the Family Lane house, is that a fridge right next to the front door? How convenient! I can come in from work and instantly grab a cold one....
My front door is in my kitchen and the fridge is right there when you walk in. Although not ideal, it has never been a problem and would not deter me from a home. I have a rear expanded and dormered Levitt home and it is the norm for many people who expanded their kitchen to make it larger.

Levittown has been a great place to raise my family for the past few years and I highly recommend it. I did not want to be house-poor so I got a nice house in a cheaper area so that I can afford the extras. OP, on your income, you may want to investigate it. You could get a smaller home that may need some work, but you would not break the bank.

Friends of ours that make about the same as you got a small house in Levittown that needs a nice amount of work, but they were able to get approved for a mortgage.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
My front door is in my kitchen and the fridge is right there when you walk in. Although not ideal, it has never been a problem and would not deter me from a home.
It's not that it is a problem, it is that it looks like garbage (subjectively) and generally you want some sort of entrance into your home rather than walking straight into a kitchen. Back door through the kitchen into the yard? Sure, but the front door? Ehh.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
It's not that it is a problem, it is that it looks like garbage (subjectively) and generally you want some sort of entrance into your home rather than walking straight into a kitchen. Back door through the kitchen into the yard? Sure, but the front door? Ehh.

I will agree that the family lane picture is pretty bad for the kitchen. In my home, you do walk into the kitchen, but it doesn't look like that and the fridge is not immediately next to the door. Ideally a foyer entrance would be nice, but I wouldn't pass on a home for that if the rest of it is nice. The only drawback to my home is a kitchen entrance but the rest of my home is great. Vaulted ceilings, 2 new bathrooms, 4 large bedrooms, walk-in-closets, large square footage. I can live with a kitchen entrance for that.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
but I wouldn't pass on a home for that if the rest of it is nice
I'm not so sure I would follow you with that -- it is likely not cost-effective to relocate the kitchen to not be the first room you walk into, so some people may be put off by that idea.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'm not so sure I would follow you with that -- it is likely not cost-effective to relocate the kitchen to not be the first room you walk into, so some people may be put off by that idea.
True, but I don't feel the need to relocate the kitchen as it doesn't bother me at all. It is very common in my town to walk into the kitchen so I really don't feel the need to change it. I actually find it very convenient. It may put off some buyers, but then so can many things. I would never buy a home with an in-ground pool and yet many people have one. I would never buy a corner lot for my own reasons. You can't please everyone.

Last edited by llama8; 08-07-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Besides likely being a cost saving measure by the builder I also wonder if it worked culturally too, as I remember my mom having her friends over for coffee and they would hang out in the kitchen talking away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island