Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
This is, by far, the best answer. I have heard horror stories of cleanups costing $50K+. The sellers should abandon the tank and assume any liability.
Ridiculous. They are still using it. I would laugh and laugh if a buyer attempted to get me to do this while I was still using the tank.

There's no liability - the law requires a simple abandonment. Buyer can do that when he moves in which is what he said his plan is.

Horror stories, please. I've never heard of anyone removing the tank and doing a cleanup, why would you? That would be exceptionally foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple juice View Post
I'm waiting for a return call from Windmill. But what I'm getting here is buy the house and have the tank abandoned asap without soil test.
Yes. ASAP. You never know when they might change the law to require a soil test. Don't let this become one of those things that you put off for years and then it's too late.

My ILs just abandoned their tank and moved the new one inside. The old one was so old that sludge, probably pieces of the interior of the tank, were getting stirred up and blocking the lines when they got a delivery. We had the same problem before we converted. A new tank will be fiberglass if you go that route - not sure if you're converting to gas or what.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM

204 posts, read 297,066 times
I'm waiting to hear from national grid if gas is available in my area. And my ho insurance said oil tank location well have no effect on my policy (all state).

Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
I'm waiting to hear from national grid if gas is available in my area. And my ho insurance said oil tank location well have no effect on my policy (all state).
Sent you a DM re National Grid

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ridiculous. They are still using it. I would laugh and laugh if a buyer attempted to get me to do this while I was still using the tank.

There's no liability - the law requires a simple abandonment. Buyer can do that when he moves in which is what he said his plan is.

Horror stories, please. I've never heard of anyone removing the tank and doing a cleanup, why would you? That would be exceptionally foolish.
Yes, one day I was still using my tank without a problem and the next day we discovered water in the oil. The top of the buried tank had disintegrated and, fortunately, no oil had leaked into the soil.

You have to be out of your mind to buy a home with a buried oil tank. People lie about the age of the tank, the real estate agents don't want to discuss it and no buyer knows what's under the ground. We looked at one home where the buried tank -- probably about 40 years old at the time -- was only a few feet away from the well supplying drinking water. We told the owner (a real estate agent) that we wouldn't buy the home unless the tank was abandoned. While we parted company for other reasons, we later went back to the house and saw that she had done exactly that. In between, I had spoken to an environmental engineer who said the DEC in New York can make you pay tens of thousands of dollars in cleanup costs if they find soil contamination. There is huge potential liability and the state is not forgiving about it. You will also pay for soil removal on your neighbors' properties if the contamination goes that far.

You not only would be laughing at my request to abandon your tank. You would also be waving goodbye because I would be moving on to the next house.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM

76 posts, read 96,757 times
You have to do what is right for you and your family, but to echo what others have said a house with an in-ground oil tank that hasn't been properly and certifiably abandoned would be a deal-breaker for me. I would consult your attorney.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM

The tank is still in use. If no soil test is required then even if it was leaking no one would know. I don't see the issue if I'm going to abandon it asap anyway. And the homeowners insurance doesn't have a problem with the tank either. No well, it's in east meadow.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Quote:
The tank is still in use. If no soil test is required then even if it was leaking no one would know. I don't see the issue if I'm going to abandon it asap anyway. And the homeowners insurance doesn't have a problem with the tank either. No well, it's in east meadow.
Just because a tank is in use doesn't mean it's not leaking. A lot of Long Island homes still have the old single-wall tanks that are way past their useful lives. If the abandonment is done properly, they will check for soil contamination. If there is soil contamination, the DEC will make you pay for the cleanup. It's as simple as that. If you want to let the seller off the hook, even for just the basic expense of abandonment, that's your choice. Everyone has a different view on this.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
how common is in ground oil tank in LI? I thought it was very common.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Just because a tank is in use doesn't mean it's not leaking. A lot of Long Island homes still have the old single-wall tanks that are way past their useful lives. If the abandonment is done properly, they will check for soil contamination. If there is soil contamination, the DEC will make you pay for the cleanup. It's as simple as that. If you want to let the seller off the hook, even for just the basic expense of abandonment, that's your choice. Everyone has a different view on this.
If a soil test is not required by law then why would I choose a company that does soil testing when abandoning a tank? Is a soil test required by law when abandoning a tank? The seller will take the next offer if I require them to abandon the tank, that's not something I want to do, assuming a soil test will not be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island