Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM

59 posts, read 271,410 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone!!

I will check Deer Park Station Parking and see
its convenient to walk to the station.

Bossman
Thank you for your advise.
West Babylon seems fine. I will check more.
There is always option for private school
so I don't care the school too much either if the area is safe and good for commuting.

Jdawg

No English is not my first language.
I am Asian who moved here in the US as my company asked me.
Have been here only 2 years and I use my first language most of times
except talking with my husband who is American.
I haven't educated in the US so my English is bad... right? I am still learning!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymimi View Post
Thank you everyone!!

I will check Deer Park Station Parking and see
its convenient to walk to the station.

Bossman
Thank you for your advise.
West Babylon seems fine. I will check more.
There is always option for private school
so I don't care the school too much either if the area is safe and good for commuting.

Jdawg

No English is not my first language.
I am Asian who moved here in the US as my company asked me.
Have been here only 2 years and I use my first language most of times
except talking with my husband who is American.
I haven't educated in the US so my English is bad... right? I am still learning!!
Private school is not an option when paying $8K - $10K in taxes a year.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 AM

246 posts, read 430,635 times
The Deer Park station is actually in Edgewood and has been for many years. The lot is big and free, and I never had a problem finding parking when I commuted from there. The station is easily accessible from the Sagtikos Parkway, so any nearby town that is close to that parkway could be an option for you. I even used that station when I was in Smithtown since the station there did not have a very good schedule. Living in Deer Park and walking to the station will not be an option for you.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
Private school is not an option when paying $8K - $10K in taxes a year.

Why not? I know someone in Merrick who sent their kids to private school. People in my area send their kids to private school and our taxes are in the $8k-$12k range (if not higher) and we live in a very good school district. People send their kids to private school for whatever reason.

If you can afford it--knock yourself out lol

Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM

246 posts, read 430,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Why not? I know someone in Merrick who sent their kids to private school. People in my area send their kids to private school and our taxes are in the $8k-$12k range (if not higher) and we live in a very good school district. People send their kids to private school for whatever reason.

Yeah, it's certainly an option. I absolutely do not understand it if you live in a good district but to each their own.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is English your first language?

Parking is pretty bad at most stations and some stations are very small and have a small number of spaces. Also a lot of the side streets you cant park on either bc the neighbours don't want it- and rightfully so. I'm a fitness junkie so I'll always advise people to walk but honestly parking at any train station during rush hour sounds like a headache.
In other words, you don't have any experience dealing with the stations in question, or any stations at all. What a useful and informative response!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Don't disagree with that.
Personally, I could have stayed in The Bronx if i wanted to send my kids to private school.

My cousin (also in Merrick) sent all her kids (5) to Catholic school. I just don't see the point of paying enormous taxes and still sending your kids to private school.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Bossman

I understand. Each person have a different point of views and budget.
My meaning is... we have to consider sending our kids to private school if our kids have problems in public school.
If you cant afford both a house and private school, I guess only option is sell the house and staying in coop/condo as when we have a house in NY , tax is high everywhere. As I know, lowest tax area is around $6000/yr.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Player,

Sagtikos Parkway? I will check that. Thank you!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymimi View Post
Bossman

I understand. Each person have a different point of views and budget.
My meaning is... we have to consider sending our kids to private school if our kids have problems in public school.
If you cant afford both a house and private school, I guess only option is sell the house and staying in coop/condo as when we have a house in NY , tax is high everywhere. As I know, lowest tax area is around $6000/yr.
beautymimi, have you looked into Floral Park, New Hyde Park or Garden City? You'll be close to the LIRR and the schools are VERY good. But I'm not sure what your budget is on house and taxes.

The further out east you look the longer the commute will be and the higher the LIRR monthly ticket and that's for 2 people, right?

I didn't want to work too far from home in case there was an emergency and I needed to get home right away.

It's hard to find the perfect balance between cost of homes, taxes, schools and commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island