Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,873,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
Sanitation workers do nothing that put them in harms way. That is the nature of their job. They work in traffic and most of the time they are very courteous to other motorists.
What I've seen is the opposite and that is what other posters here are saying.

It's not about being courteous. It's about safety. Suddenly jumping out into the streets or walking out of a blind side without looking is dangerous to both sanitation workers and motorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What I've seen is the opposite and that is what other posters here are saying.

It's not about being courteous. It's about safety. Suddenly jumping out into the streets or walking out of a blind side without looking is dangerous to both sanitation workers and motorists.
Ive never seen a sanitation worker doing anything dangerous out of the norm. They PICK UP GARBAGE ON THE ROAD...not in peoples back yard. Have some respect and watch out for them when you see the truck and make sure you see them and they see you. I am 100% sure if you guys see a cop car, whether the lights are on or not, you would would show them the respect and slow down....just like you would with a school bus.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM

I have. So have a couple of other posters here. More likely than not it's true that they occasionally behave dangerously. It's not about where they pick up garbage. It's how they pick it up. And it's not about respect. It's about safety. They are also responsible for their own safety. It's just not safe to jump out of the cabin with moving traffic behind you. And it's not safe to cross the street from the blind side without looking both ways. If kids can look both ways before crossing, so should adults.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,227,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I don't know how you define serious cash but by published data the sanitation collectors seem to be making around $50,000 base with overtime that brings them to the high 50s or low 60s. That is for the Town of Oyster Bay.

Considering they can work as little as 3 to 4 hours a day...that isn't bad. Then add in their second job..which many of them have...they can earn a decent living.
It may have changed, but I remember reading that union trash collectors were pulling in close to $100K and NYC union guys raking in even more. It's been awhile since I read that though.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 PM

113 posts, read 127,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I don't know how you define serious cash but by published data the sanitation collectors seem to be making around $50,000 base with overtime that brings them to the high 50s or low 60s. That is for the Town of Oyster Bay.

Considering they can work as little as 3 to 4 hours a day...that isn't bad. Then add in their second job..which many of them have...they can earn a decent living.
Havent been on this board too long, just so I have it straight, so far your anti-LIRR, anti- garbage men, who else should I add to the list. Also your a horrible human being, that a person died and your generalizing that all of them are rushing to do their jobs to get to a 2nd job.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,240,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Havent been on this board too long, just so I have it straight, so far your anti-LIRR, anti- garbage men, who else should I add to the list. Also your a horrible human being, that a person died and your generalizing that all of them are rushing to do their jobs to get to a 2nd job.
i grew up in TOB and had friends who worked as sanit men - actually 30to66 is correct .. most guys run through their routes and finish up early (and many TOB residents can tell you they start before 6am, especially in summer). IMO 30to66 meant no disrespect. It's pretty dangerous work - and if anyone thinks the job is not important - remember when the NYC sanitmen went on strike during the summer months years ago.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,979,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Yes you should be able to stop but for them to assume it's OK to run in front of a car going 20 mph is dumb.
Quote:
What people are saying is that sanitation workers do things that un-neccesarily put them in harm's way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'm surprised the moronic landscapers who park their trucks in such a way that forces people to cross double yellow lines don't cause more accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
Sanitation workers do nothing that put them in harms way. That is the nature of their job. They work in traffic and most of the time they are very courteous to other motorists.

I think when it comes to public workers, Long Islanders in general has a problem with them.
Quote:
I have. So have a couple of other posters here. More likely than not it's true that they occasionally behave dangerously. It's not about where they pick up garbage. It's how they pick it up. And it's not about respect. It's about safety. They are also responsible for their own safety. It's just not safe to jump out of the cabin with moving traffic behind you. And it's not safe to cross the street from the blind side without looking both ways. If kids can look both ways before crossing, so should adults.

I don't get it -- even if the sanitation workers ARE blocking traffic, you should stop before you attempt to cross the yellow line. If you just swerve past them without stopping then you are an idiot. Stop, look, then creep past. You never know what is on the other side.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:08 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,001,568 times
The day this happened, after work, took my kid 20 blocks to karate...in blinding sunlight...in that stretch, 2 landscaper trucks blocking half the street, 3 (yes THREE) different drivers parallel parked and exited on street side in the glare...difficult to see at 5 mph, 2 cars rolled through stop signs, 1 car rolled through and turned through stop sign with no signal. With the story fresh in my mind I was going slowly, cautiously and being super nice. On another day, maybe late, who knows. The garbage guys in my neighborhood are the nicest guys, however they bolt around like their pants are on fire. My neighbor is a foreman and says it's not due to any 2nd jobs, it's that they reduced #'s and increased route sizes, cut OT AND are installing GPS so they can track trucks and route times. If guys want to get done on time they have to move. I am very cautious but in sun glare, with people driving like idiots and these guys running to and fro, I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often. I feel terrible for this guy and his family, just doing his job. I'm not going to judge the driver. I wasn't there and didn't see what happened.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I don't get it -- even if the sanitation workers ARE blocking traffic, you should stop before you attempt to cross the yellow line. If you just swerve past them without stopping then you are an idiot. Stop, look, then creep past. You never know what is on the other side.
No they do NOT block traffic. They leave enough room on one side for cars to pass by which can cause miscommunication. If you inadvertedly stop, cars behind you either tailend you or rightfully get annoyed and honk at you. This is not a schoolbus with a stop sign flipping out of its side.

If the driver in the OP is not charged then it means she was following traffic rules.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,070,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Your reading comprehension is terrible. I never said anything against the sanmen other than they run around like crazy to finish their routes.

I know many sanmen...all have second jobs. Perhaps you should get out and meet people before posting on CD and you would know the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island