Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM

67 posts, read 125,124 times

Advertisements

The house we are very interested in is using oil currently.

We would love to have gas, but we are not near a gas line and it is over $30,000 to have a line ran and convert to gas.

Is it worth it to buy the house, and replace the existing (old) oil furnace with a brand new 2012-2013 model oil furnace? Will this be as cost efficient as gas, cleaner air, etc?

We rented an apartment in the past with a super old oil furnace and a bad experience. We really like this house, and want to see if we can make it work with brand new oil furnace. Advice appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Gas is HALF the price of oil in a given year from my own numbers comparison - $1k vs. $2k (or even $3k for oil) and that's why people will pay upwards of $10k to switch. A costly upgrade for a more efficient oil burner to become as cost efficient as gas? Not happening. You'll get better efficiency compared to the old burner, sure - but even that will take quite a few years for ROI.

Check out the numerous other gas conversion threads to see what others have had luck doing (such as getting neighbors to switch to reduce your cost).

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
I have an oil furnace that is on its last leg. I wish I had $30k to convert. Our oil guy (he's family) told us if we replaced the old furnace with a new one, it would be more efficient compared to the old one but not in the sense of being cheaper or more efficient versus gas. He recommended gas conversion too, if it's possible.

Our plumber recommended switching to gas. The high cost pays for itself off over a few years since gas is cheaper than oil.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
The house we are very interested in is using oil currently.

We would love to have gas, but we are not near a gas line and it is over $30,000 to have a line ran and convert to gas.

Is it worth it to buy the house, and replace the existing (old) oil furnace with a brand new 2012-2013 model oil furnace? Will this be as cost efficient as gas, cleaner air, etc?

We rented an apartment in the past with a super old oil furnace and a bad experience. We really like this house, and want to see if we can make it work with brand new oil furnace. Advice appreciated!!!
How old is the boiler. Replacing the burner itself sometimes doesn't do much. if the boiler is really really old, sometimes you have an asbestos issue with removal

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
A new oil furnace would probably be a little more efficient than an old model but not much. If it's very old it might make sense to replace it so you don't wake up some freezing morning with no heat. When my furnace was close to 30 years old it started to require a lot of service calls on cold days.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Propane is another new option. Still cheaper than oil.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Propane is another new option. Still cheaper than oil.
Def cheaper, but storage tank can be an issue. Needs a much bigger tank than oil.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I replaced my 18 year old oil fired boiler last year. I usually have to fill up by end of October every year. Im just a little bit over half a tank with the new set up. Def. a nice size savings from the old to new.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM

67 posts, read 125,124 times
Great point of reference, rocafeller.

Thanks for that. I spoke to salesman and in comparing to a 30 yr old boiler he said the savings is about 275 gallons per year.

Sounds like a lot, not sure how fast someone goes through that amount.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
Great point of reference, rocafeller.

Thanks for that. I spoke to salesman and in comparing to a 30 yr old boiler he said the savings is about 275 gallons per year.

Sounds like a lot, not sure how fast someone goes through that amount.
Beware of salesmen! There are too many unknowns. The saving would be most likely from the burner component of the boiler which you could install on your existing boiler. However, you may be throwing good money after bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island