Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

If ppl cant afford to live here, they really need to move to cheaper areas of the country. While it's tough to pivk up and move away from friends and family, sometimes in these situations thats the best thing.

I know nothinh about these mega shelters. I live in Nassau under a rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Maple View Post
There will be another Human Services Committee Meeting held at the office of the Suffolk County Legislature on Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. The agenda will include a discussion of Introductory Resolution #1036 (Terminating a contract with Community Housing Innovations to provide homeless shelter services) sponsored by Legislator John M. Kennedy, Jr. This will be the fourth hearing on the Commack shelter.

There are some new committee members (Monica Martinez is the new chairperson.) so it's basically like starting all over again. Martinez is brand new to legislation and she was hand picked by Bellone to run anyway. Please come out to support Legislator Kennedy, even if you are not a Hauppauge/Commack/Smithtown resident. Suffolk residents should attend to show Bellone he can't just disregard our county laws, that we don't support warehousing the less fortunate, and that his cronyism will not be tolerated any longer.

Great info, thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 AM

35 posts, read 92,785 times
My pleasure!

In case anyone is interested, here are the email addresses of the committee members making the decision on 2/4:

Monica.Martinez@suffolkcountyny.gov
Kate.Browning@suffolkcountyny.gov
Lou.DAmaro@suffolkcountyny.gov
Kevin.McCaffrey@suffolkcountyny.gov
Robert.Trotta@suffolkcountyny.gov

If you decide to email them, it is also recommended you copy:
Flanagan@nysenate.gov
county.executive@suffolkcountyny.gov

It's a good idea to Mention IR1036-2014 in your email and to include your name and address. Let's send Mr. Bellone a clear message on what we think of his decision to break the law, hide it, and lie to county residents all so he can further help his pals.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Just for clarification, Introductory Resolution 1036 will actually go to VOTE on 2/4. It will not just be discussed.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Anyone going to this meeting tomorrow?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Anyone want an update?

So, at the last meeting, two legislators on the committee voted to approve John Kennedy's resolution to close the mega shelter and put the affected families back into small and discrete shelters spread throughout the county. There are 3 legislators left - two that will definitely never vote in favor of Kennedy's resolution (they are Bellone's pals) and one who, as of the last meeting, is undecided on the issue.

The next meeting is Feb 25 at 2pm. It is expected that a decision will finally be made. Please attend to show your support for Legislator Kennedy's resolution (1036-2014) and the county laws our local representatives have fought hard to put in place. If you cannot make it to the meeting, please contact Legislator Lou D'Amaro (Lou.DAmaro@suffolkcountyny.gov) and ask him to do his part in ending the use of illegal mega shelters in Suffolk County. Actually, it is a good idea to contact him in advance even if you can make it

The bottom line is - Bellone and CHI are breaking the law. We cannot allow this administration to just unilaterally decide to break our own laws. With this blatant disregard of a crystal clear law - it makes me wonder what other laws the County Executive is decided to ignore.

Any thoughts from my CD pals?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If ppl cant afford to live here, they really need to move to cheaper areas of the country. While it's tough to pivk up and move away from friends and family, sometimes in these situations thats the best thing.

I know nothinh about these mega shelters. I live in Nassau under a rock.
I agree with this. If you are poor then you definitely should seek out another region of the country

I know of a poor family who moved to Long Island "for a better life" but they were screwed before they even began since you need a car on Long Island. Poor families generally can't afford a car so they can't do anything out here.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese maple View Post
the bottom line is - bellone and chi are breaking the law. We cannot allow this administration to just unilaterally decide to break our own laws. With this blatant disregard of a crystal clear law - it makes me wonder what other laws the county executive is decided to ignore.[/font][/color]

any thoughts from my cd pals?
[size=3][/size]

Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM

148 posts, read 248,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
1) the availability of a large enough space which is easily convertible into shelter housing, and 2) the willingness of the owner of that property to convert to shelter housing are necessary.

Does either place you've cited have a hotel present?

Wingate hotel in Brentwood to be renovated
I looked into Brentwood and came up with the fact that back in April of 2013, the management of the Wingate Hotel stopped booking weddings as the franchise owner stated they were going through a 'strategic relalignment'. It can't be very difficult to convert a hotel into a shelter -- bedrooms and bathrooms are already in place; a hotel big enough to have catering can feed the shelter residents.
I wonder if that's actually a development. Hauppauge and Islandia still have hotel options. Many North Brentwood residents would just as well be uneasy to lose an employer and commodity as a close-by hotel for visitors and to see it turn into a homeless trap. BUT, the location in-between pilgrim-state, college campus and the LIE makes the area isolated enough. The superstores in Commack hills will just have to be on constant watch for their shopping carts.

I have no strong feelings about this though, I've seen people walking out of the motel on motor parkway with baby strollers which is sad to see and I hope no one is soliciting money to put people in an non-ideal place with no room for mobility...

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Interesting read. Includes some financial information regarding the company who runs the shelter.

Spreading Awareness | Suffolk United
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island