Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 878 times

Advertisements

Has anyone recently got solar panels installed in the Town of Islip? Does the Town inspector have to go into the house to see the electrical panel or only the outside? I know the Electrical underwriter will, I am more concerned the Town will find something else not up to code if they come in. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 01:18 AM

398 posts, read 206,286 times
How about its my house and take a hike ? They make everything everything such a hassle.

I saw a YouTube video DIY solar, one tenth the price and they ran the whole house. They put them on frames in the yard not the house to avoid any permit crap and pointed in the best direction.

Anyway just don't let them on your property. You used that word concerned but maybe word is afraid. Afraid of the town of Islip. Don't be scared of them.

LINY is so awful. You just don't see these types of threads in sub-forums for anyplace else.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
How about its my house and take a hike ? They make everything everything such a hassle.

I saw a YouTube video DIY solar, one tenth the price and they ran the whole house. They put them on frames in the yard not the house to avoid any permit crap and pointed in the best direction.

Anyway just don't let them on your property. You used that word concerned but maybe word is afraid. Afraid of the town of Islip. Don't be scared of them.

LINY is so awful. You just don't see these types of threads in sub-forums for anyplace else.
Stop there is inspections like we have in every metro of every city in the country. Only places you may not get it is rural American and Texas.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:51 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Solar panels are going to require an inspection basically anywhere in the country and are one of the few inspections I agree with.

Left to their own devices, many idiots won't properly install their unit power, meaning in the event of a power outage, it won't automatically shut off and may still pump energy into the grid. This can kill a lineman who is trying to restore power to a neighborhood.

Lots (most) of inspections are BS cash grabs by the local authorities who want you fill out a form in triplicate before you can wipe your butt, but a few actually have good reasons that just might not be readily apparent.

In my case, they didn't need to come into the house, the inspector just did a quick walk around a visually looked at the panels from the ground. Then a few weeks later I got violation notices in the mail regarding a deck, a shed, and other things he saw while he was there. That's the cash grab BS part.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:34 PM

259 posts, read 174,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Solar panels are going to require an inspection basically anywhere in the country and are one of the few inspections I agree with.

Left to their own devices, many idiots won't properly install their unit power, meaning in the event of a power outage, it won't automatically shut off and may still pump energy into the grid. This can kill a lineman who is trying to restore power to a neighborhood.

Lots (most) of inspections are BS cash grabs by the local authorities who want you fill out a form in triplicate before you can wipe your butt, but a few actually have good reasons that just might not be readily apparent.

In my case, they didn't need to come into the house, the inspector just did a quick walk around a visually looked at the panels from the ground. Then a few weeks later I got violation notices in the mail regarding a deck, a shed, and other things he saw while he was there. That's the cash grab BS part.
The shed inspection I agree are BS. The deck on the other hand I can agree with, if they are built high up off the ground. That requires a safety inspection to make sure the damn thing won't collapse, blow apart in a big storm, etc.

I mean if you are going to wire your shed for electric, that should cause an inspection to make sure it is not going to burn down in an electric fire. But for one of those pre-fab things from HD or Lowes? Not needed.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:17 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
The shed inspection I agree are BS. The deck on the other hand I can agree with, if they are built high up off the ground. That requires a safety inspection to make sure the damn thing won't collapse, blow apart in a big storm, etc.

I mean if you are going to wire your shed for electric, that should cause an inspection to make sure it is not going to burn down in an electric fire. But for one of those pre-fab things from HD or Lowes? Not needed.
The deck isn't elevated, it's at ground level. But apparently the step up can't be any greater than 8" and ours is 10". They also dinged up for a fence that's perfectly up to code, but apparently the previous owners never got a permit for when they installed it.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
^ And these stories right here is why I won’t even bother with solar. I would like to have it but I don’t want all the headache that might come with the inspector. So it’s a hard pass for me.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The deck isn't elevated, it's at ground level. But apparently the step up can't be any greater than 8" and ours is 10". They also dinged up for a fence that's perfectly up to code, but apparently the previous owners never got a permit for when they installed it.
Put some fill or wood chips around the deck. It may be an issue of height compared to surrounding grade.

As a former code official, I despise the sneaky violation notice. There are several items where the state code allows a municipality to waive permit requirements, among them being sheds of no more than 144 sq ft, fences not part of pool enclosure, and similar small items. Local zoning in general is too weaponized to specifically regulate items that should be left to the state code or actual municipal code.

Solar inspection should typically involve an inspection of the panel to verify the connection.

A decent code official would give notice of items found to be noncompliant, not summonses off the bat, unless some immediately dangerous situation was found (for us, pretty much the only item we had no discretion on was unpermitted pools). Things may need to be addressed, but the job of the code official is (or should be, and governments have forgotten about it) to guide you to compliance, not just seek to collect fines. I didn't get a bonus for writing tickets, the municipality claimed very little of the funds anyway because of the court structure, and I would much rather see you get it right than win a case. Maybe a positive interaction with code officials would even encourage people to seek them out before work is done, rather than avoiding the boogeyman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island