Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM

16 posts, read 34,822 times

Advertisements

Thank you all, I really appreciate your input! It's very helpful. The New Yorkers I have met so far have been very kind and helpful and far surpassed my expectations. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I thought the whole point of moving to LI and paying exorbitant property taxes is for the better public schools.
It sounds like OP is talking about moving into military housing, so I don't think this statement applies here, since (a) she's probably not choosing to relocate to LI; and (b) she's probably not purchasing the home (and therefore not paying property taxes).

Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Friends of ours live in Long Beach and send their kids to Kellenburg and Chaminade. Both are Catholic schools.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellebydefault View Post
Thank you all, I really appreciate your input! It's very helpful. The New Yorkers I have met so far have been very kind and helpful and far surpassed my expectations. Thanks again.
What are the ages of your children? In Nassau the public elementary schools are for the most part of equal quality. LB, GC or Jericho, it doesn't really matter. It is at the high school level that the quality rapidly diverges with Jericho, Great Neck and Manhasset at the top of the pyramid.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM

131 posts, read 332,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbellebydefault View Post
Hello,

My family is relocating to LI. Would anyone mind weighing in on private schools in the area? I would like to stay away from Common Core if possible. One child is very advanced, so I would like opportunities for him to have differentiation.

Thank you in advance.
Private non religious schools you could commute to from Garden City are Friends Academy or Portledge School in Locust Valley, The Waldorf School in Garden City, Buckley Country Day School in Roslyn, The Greenvale School in Old Brookville, East Woods School in Oyster Bay Cove, and Westbury Friends in Westbury.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM

22 posts, read 43,796 times
some people on here seem to do absolutely no research before deciding to move. Garden city and long beach couldn't be more different and long beach public schools couldn't be much worse.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk75 View Post
some people on here seem to do absolutely no research before deciding to move. Garden city and long beach couldn't be more different and long beach public schools couldn't be much worse.
Again, let's practice reading comprehension, folks. OP clearly stated she's moving into military housing - meaning she (a) probably didn't choose Long Island at all; and (b) can't actually control which towns the military housing is located in. This isn't a matter of "deciding to move" without doing any research. Her family's likely been ordered to move, and she's doing the best she can with the constraints she's been given. How about trying to be helpful instead of just being unnecessarily unkind?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Again, let's practice reading comprehension, folks. OP clearly stated she's moving into military housing - meaning she (a) probably didn't choose Long Island at all; and (b) can't actually control which towns the military housing is located in. This isn't a matter of "deciding to move" without doing any research. Her family's likely been ordered to move, and she's doing the best she can with the constraints she's been given. How about trying to be helpful instead of just being unnecessarily unkind?
Why would you avoid LB elementary schools?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk75 View Post
I agree with half your post. A kid growing up in LB has a much better chance of having a great childhood, while growing up in GC would most likely be terrible being chauffeured everywhere in moms Yukon.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Why would you avoid LB elementary schools?
Th school district tests poorly, and (at least in my personal experience as a resident) pretty much any family that can afford private school opts for private school. I'm admittedly not a parent myself, but when every parent I know in the community is choosing to opt out, that tells me it's a place to be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island