Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Advertisements

Older, large colonial in Old Field which sold for $1.2 million in October. New owner wants to tear it down and build a new single family house there which will feature a 49' tall steel and glass observation tower. The tower would exceed the maximum building height which is 35'. I'm very curious to see if this gets approved as is, denied, or if there will be conditions.

If you had the means to do so -- on Long Island -- would you, and if so, where on LI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

414 posts, read 809,032 times
Why would one need an observation tower at their home! Ridiculous rich person problem lol. I hope it gets denied.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,689 times
I wouldn't want some massive observation tower, but if I had unlimited funds, I'd definitely consider tear-down + custom home, just because who wouldn't want a home custom-designed to their personal preferences and specifications?

As for where, I actually think Old Field's a good choice - it's a really pretty area, very quiet with lots of natural beauty, but not so terribly far east compared with, say, Montauk or Greenport or something. I also feel like it's a little more "under the radar" compared with other similarly-wealthy areas, which is appealing to me.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,226,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Why would one need an observation tower at their home! Ridiculous rich person problem lol. I hope it gets denied.
Who cares? It's their money, let them **** it away if they want to.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM

133 posts, read 283,801 times
Quote:
Why do you hope it gets denied? cuz you don't have one? I'd like to have an observation tower if I lived on a large multiple acre plot and had a view. Maybe the north or south shore out east or the gold coast. If the plans are not code they'll have to get a variance. If they have enough money to build this project, they have enough to spread around the building department to assure the variance is approved.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM

133 posts, read 283,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Who cares? It's their money, let them **** it away if they want to.
Thanks for your opinion. I can tell you're going to be a valued member of this community. Please continue to post your lucid, intelligent and unbiased opinion.

Another of your brilliant lucid, intelligent unbaised opinions I suppose?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Maybe they're really into astronomy? Maybe they're in that line of work? Who knows but I know if I could have one, I'd build one, too. As long as it doesn't become an eyesore for the neighbors, I say more power to them.

I agree with InfoSeeker--if I had unlimited funds and I got to customize my own home, I'd definitely consider it, too. Either same location or maybe Belle Terre.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Maybe they want to look at Bridgeport all day? lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Older, large colonial in Old Field which sold for $1.2 million in October. New owner wants to tear it down and build a new single family house there which will feature a 49' tall steel and glass observation tower. The tower would exceed the maximum building height which is 35'. I'm very curious to see if this gets approved as is, denied, or if there will be conditions.

If you had the means to do so -- on Long Island -- would you, and if so, where on LI?

Yes if I had the means and the time (meaning raze a home and build new, not necessarily the observation tower.) It would be on the North Shore , preferably on the water from Centerport to anywhere going west. I had several million to drop on a home, I would rather find my prime location and build a custom home to fit my wants and needs.

My sister is a home appraiser for ultra/high net worth individuals and one of the client's vacation homes she viewed had a shower where the domed ceiling opened up so they could view the stars at night (it was in VT, so they could actually see the stars. )

Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
With regard to the observation tower -- the house isn't on the water, but is on an elevated spot at 39'. The observation tower will allow them to see (from what I can tell) over the houses which are on Conscience Bay to the east, and possibly to Flax Pond on the west side. The houses across the street are about 5-10' elevation.

I can understand wanting to build new, but the observation tower seems out of sorts for the area, especially when it could rise 88' above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island