Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 PM

83 posts, read 169,598 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm still looking for a 3-4 bedroom home in Nassau and I came upon a very interesting listing this evening in Lynbrook. Having scoured the listings for months in Lynbrook and some other towns I'm considering, it looks like the taxes on this house are in line with other homes in the area, but the house is much bigger in terms of square footage. The house is 2,200 square feet plus a 60 x 100 lot and has taxes of $13,300 where I'm seeing homes in the same neighborhood that are 1,700 square feet with a 40 x 100 lot with the same tax burden. What does the county use to assess -- is it square footage, number of rooms, lot size, or what?

Meanwhile, I've seen some 3-4 bedroom homes in Lynbrook that had tax rates as high $20,000, which I find unaffordable. Is it likely that the house I'm looking at has been assessed too low and that the county will reassess it for more in the near future? As it is $13K to me is a lot in taxes (but seems typical for Nassau). It would be financially devastating if I bought the house budgeting to pay $13K a year in taxes and then, in the next year or two, it jumped up by several thousand a year.

Frighteningly, Zillow provides a tax history of the house and it has had the same assessment for the past several years, but the tax burden has gone up about 12 percent a year for the past 5 years. Is it normal for taxes to go up that much per year even when your house has the same assessment? Here's the house in question if that helps:

12 Evergreen Ave, Lynbrook, NY 11563 is For Sale - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:37 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
hi all,

. What does the county use to assess -- is it square footage, number of rooms, lot size, or what?

they'll never tell! Also, lynbrook is am incorporated village. It's probably that all of the listing you see do not tell the whole tax story, and they are not listed on mynassauproperty. To get the village tax, call the village directly.

it would be financially devastating if i bought the house budgeting to pay $13k a year in taxes and then, they jump up

don't buy a house in nassau then, because that's going to happen. Maybe not next year, or the year after, but eventually it will. the house we bought in 1997 had taxes of $4900 a year. Today, that house (which we sold about 3.5 years ago) has taxes of $15,000 a year.
hth.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 AM

487 posts, read 545,143 times
I don't know too much about Lynbrook, but that seems like a lot for what you describe. Perhaps focus on other towns that have more of a commercial tax base to help offset the taxes. I don't think Lynbrook has that, although it is a lovely town. And, yes, they will go up every year!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
when was that extension put in?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
In looking at the listing you posted two thoughts come to mind. Is the extension of the home legally recorded and reflecting in the assessment of the home? Also based on the "birds eye" view of the property it seems to have commercial property behind it. Maybe that is what keeps the assessed value lower than comparable properties that you have looked at.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
The extension is showing on the assessors card online.

But yuck.........all that commercial property abutting is not a good thing.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,572 times
Sweeeeeeeeeeet....let us know if you buy this house. This way we (the entire internet) can come visit you (since we know we're you live) and have a huge keg party. Woooot Wooot!!!

Seriously though...you back right up to a Chinese restaurant, dry cleaners, Laundromat, & a pest control supplier. Your backyard would have some funky smells, & noise coming from those establishments.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
you back right up to a Chinese restaurant
Think twice about living next to a restaurant. Where there is food there are pests.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM

83 posts, read 169,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Seriously though...you back right up to a Chinese restaurant, dry cleaners, Laundromat, & a pest control supplier. Your backyard would have some funky smells, & noise coming from those establishments.
Hmm. Noise doesn't bother me but smells and pests. Hmm.

My problem is that I really want a house that is walking distance to the train. There are so few.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM

49 posts, read 160,864 times
We were looking for the same criteria when wanted to buy in Lynbrook. It took us several months of working with our real estate agent to find a listing that worked for us. You have to work fast because some of the homes that we liked accepted offers so quickly, we couldn't even schedule an appointment to see it yet. But don't get discouraged, we like living in Lynbrook and it was worth the wait to hold out for a home that was within walking distance to the LIRR!

Some of the factors that I believe affect the taxes are number of bathrooms, decks/extensions, how big the driveways are, number of bathrooms, central air conditioning, being adjacent to a road that has 2 sold yellow lines in the middle, being adjacent/across from a commercial property, and being adjacent/across from LIRR.

Good luck with everything and hope you find your future home in Lynbrook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island