Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times

Advertisements

We are researching doing our driveway. I was talking about it on the house forum but it seems that the option of people living here is much more realistic.

The driveway is currently broken asphalt which is going to be removed and either replaced with new asphalt or there is a very real possibility of doing pavers. Concrete is not an interest of ours.

The square footage of the area we are looking at is 2850. . its 53 feet long, straight and using 2 apps last night, I measured the grade of steepness to vary from 11 to 14 degrees.

We were all ready to do asphalt and got two quotes plus the opinion of someone who used to install them. But now we are looking at pavers for the same job.

My question is this: I'm reading about the installation of pavers and first you have crushed stoned followed by something called RCA, followed by the pavers on top. Then another installer told us to do them on concrete….which didn't make sense.

I am willing of doing asphalt (not loving the idea of sealcoating every 2-5 yrs) vs pavers. I am not as concerned about looks. my biggest concern is longevity and doing whats maintenance free.

We've been driving thought Dix Hills and Roslyn looking at steep driveways and it seems that virtually EVERYone does asphalt. No one with a driveway of 14 degrees seems to do pavers. I can't imagine that with these million+ dollar homes that they decided to go cheap on pavers vs asphalt.

Please, can I get the opinion of some of you more knowledgeable guys here.

Oh and here's a PS. I was talking with a client of mine who has pavers on a sloped driveway of her home and she sells masonry supplies. She has UNILOCK bricks and I was picking her brain. Bt the end of the conversation, she told me she'd had her unilock driveway 8 years and she wishes she just went with asphalt.

So yeah, my head is spinning! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I would be concerned abiut portions if a sloped paver driveway heaving, anf the damage a plow could cause if it rios a few out.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
Pavers if not installed correctly can sink and loosen, which is why that contractor recommended placing them on top of concrete. Asphalt cracks, gets soft in hot weather and requires sealing periodically.

If you are looking for longevity and low maintenance, re think concrete.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM

176 posts, read 406,385 times
The slope/hill will give you trouble somewhere at some time with small pavers. Do asphalt or concrete. Concrete is better. The can dye to color other than regular cement color or cut grooves for traction if your hill is steep.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Asphalt is my first preference and snow melts better in the winter. Concrete is fine and they can run finish lines that improve traction/water run off. If you like the look of pavers use them as an accent edging to another material or as the transition section from road to driveway.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 PM

157 posts, read 379,340 times
Consider an ice melt system.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
My driveway and a lot of homes in my area are also steep. We all have concrete or asphalt. Our steps and walkways are brick and pavers and our masonary guy told us never use rock salt/pellets on them. Only use sand for traction when it's icy. Plowing and shoveling can also damage the pavers. I'd go asphalt or concrete and agree with the suggestions above--use pavers for accents or have the concrete dyed.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

409 posts, read 511,900 times
I would check the specs from the type of paver (Brick, concrete,) you have in mind, and inquire what the maximum grade is allowed for placement of the pavers.

In addition,keep in mind that stormwater runoff more than likely undermine the pavers on a steep grade driveway.

If your looking for color, stamped concrete is recommened and properly sealed.

Using asphalt, beef up your base course and add extra thickness to the pavement

Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times
I have a steep driveway and went with a natural gas heated pex piping (heated driveway) & pavers. Zero maintenance for both and going on 4 years.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
My friend has a driveway that was so steep that everytime I backed out of the driveway my rear hitch on the SUV would scrape the bottom portion of the driveway as it met the street. Incidentally, their driveway is asphalt with a paver apron and it looks beautiful. I would imagine its technically more difficult to install a paver driveway on a steep slope as there is less room for error in leveling the pavers and making sure they interlock properly at grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island