Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Smart phones are not essential, given that I and several other posters are able to get by without them.
I think everyone who is giving an opinion here in some way is implying that its just that - "their opinion".

In this case it seems like a definition of "essential" is in order.
For example, maybe you think that a car is essential for you, but some african tribes might laugh at that (just an example), well they are just living a different lifestyle than you are, and you should respect them for that, just like I am doing here.

I "get by" without a porche.... it bugs me everyday !!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Hanging out with Mits must feel like living in the 90's.

Texting -
Friend: Work sucked! Want to grab some drinks?
Mits: Sure. Where?
Friend: How about that new place in Astoria, Smith Street Pub?
Mits: Ok. How do I get there? Can you send me directions?
Friend: Here's the address.
Mits: I’m on the train… Address doesn't mean anything to me. Need directions.
Friend: What am I, your GPS? Don't know where Smith st. is?
Mits: What stop is closest to that?
Friend: I don't friggin' know! Just forget it.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
Quote:
I thought StraightTalk only worked with their own special browser?
Nope. Maybe when it first started it did, but when I had Straight Talk, my phone was a normal Android phone, and I ran my account online the same way I would any other account. The main difference is that, unless you're willing to pay a lot up front for a phone, the cheaper and free phones are usually weird off-brands that no one has ever heard of. They look fine and work fine, but it can be difficult to find, say, a case that fits the phone because it's a brand no one else sells.

Straight Talk's also usually a model behind on the "hip" phones, so, for example, StraightTalk wasn't able to offer the iPhone 5 until the 5s came out. If your priority is value over cool-factor, though, it's a good way to get a simple smartphone, if that's what you're into.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Depends...on business, lifestyle,etc.. here's a few things it helps me with on a given day!

1.) Phone numbers, addresses,meetings,appointments and everything else synced between everything.
2.) Camera,hd video, shoot in 4k with instant sharing.
3.) PDF and document reader.
4.) Full website viewer
5.) Maps,gps, real time traffic reports, with directions and satellite and street view, plus restaurants reviews, cheap gas,etc
6.) Fully functional calendar that syncs to all my accounts
7.) Notes that sync between phone and computer and web (Evernote)
8.) Entertainment for kids(movies,games,videos,Karaoke Party) 24/7 access
9.) Language learner (currently working spanish Duolingo)
10.) Remote control for iTunes when I'm at home so I don't have to go into the other room to change song or volume.
11.) My music, Bluetooth for car and wireless speakers
12.) Movie times and previews and purchase tickets( no lines)
13.) Song identification (Soundhound)
14.) File sharing between devices (Dropbox)
15.) Remote control for all my fios and T.V.'s and car!
16.) Banking,depositing checks,stocks,etc in real time from anywhere
17.) live real time video feeds of business and employees and real time cash flow.
18.) Real time video of my indoor and outdoor security system, control lights and doors
19.) Facetime,skype, go to meetings from anywhere
20.) Alarm clock
21.) Takes credit card payments
22.) scanner, fax
23.) live T.V. and sports!
24.) heart rate monitor
All of those are either luxuries, or can be done using devices that do not require paying for a monthly plan.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are you the benchmark standard that others should be measured against???
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
It's all relative, dude. Stop using you as the measuring stick for everything on City-Data.
I'm not using myself as the benchmark standard or measuring stick. I'm just saying that different people have different priorities. For me, living close to family, and having dinner almost every night with my wife (and kids, when I have them) is more important than having a smart phone.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
You do realize that many people don't want to bank online, right? It's nothing to do with age, or "resistance to technology"; it's simply that they don't have sufficient confidence in online security when it comes to certain things. I'm guessing you have never been a victim of the nightmare that is identity theft.

I agree with the poster who said that if my bank ever said "smartphone banking or no banking", they'd lose me as a customer in a NY minute.

IMHO there are some people for whom a smartphone might be a necessity, primarily those who are in the workforce. But for many other people a smartphone may be nothing more than an overpriced toy. It doesn't mean that we're "backward" or Neo-Luddites, it just means that it's not worth the money to them. Just like some women see nothing wrong with paying $500 for a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, while for others a pair of $30 sneakers is just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Same thing with cars. I could not fathom spending $50,000 or $60,000 for a BMW or Mercedes when a Mazda 6 gets me where I'm going just as quickly and safely, and almost as comfortably for $24,000. Not interested in the status, and the bells and whistles.
Exactly!!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I think everyone who is giving an opinion here in some way is implying that its just that - "their opinion".

In this case it seems like a definition of "essential" is in order.
For example, maybe you think that a car is essential for you, but some african tribes might laugh at that (just an example), well they are just living a different lifestyle than you are, and you should respect them for that, just like I am doing here.

I "get by" without a porche.... it bugs me everyday !!
For me, a car is essential, since it is the only way to get to work. I once checked the bus schedules to see if I could get to work using the bus. Even if I took the first bus of the day, since it would require so many transfers and go so far out of the way, there was literally no way that I could get to work on time. But I do understand that for some people, a car is a luxury, if they live and work in an area where they can get everywhere they need using public transportation and walking.

A porche is luxury, since I only need a cheap car to get to work.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Hanging out with Mits must feel like living in the 90's.

Texting -
Friend: Work sucked! Want to grab some drinks?
Mits: Sure. Where?
Friend: How about that new place in Astoria, Smith Street Pub?
Mits: Ok. How do I get there? Can you send me directions?
Friend: Here's the address.
Mits: I’m on the train… Address doesn't mean anything to me. Need directions.
Friend: What am I, your GPS? Don't know where Smith st. is?
Mits: What stop is closest to that?
Friend: I don't friggin' know! Just forget it.
If someone doesn't want to hang out with me because I don't have a smart phone, then they are not my true friend, and they are not worth my time.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
In another thread a while ago, someone claimed that a smart phone and data plan are a necessity. I do not agree that it is a necessity. I use a basic phone with no data plan (just voice, text, and picture messages). The monthly charges for the data plan are more than I am willing to spend. The carrier that I use has the best voice coverage in my area, and I don't want to give that up.

I realize that I am in the minority, but I consider it to be a luxury that I do not need. I do not consider it to be a necessity. I find it very easy to go without things that I have never had (such as a smart phone and data plan). But I find it very difficult to go without things that I have always had.
I was in the same boat as you until recently and everybody gave me a hard time about my pitiful little beat up and way out dated cell phone from boost mobile. I went out on black Friday and took advantage of the sales to get myself a new updated phone back in november. I finally gave in to the smart phone business and got myself the LG2 from the sprint store. I must admit I love it and just being able to play music on the youtube app and send and receive high quality pictures is worth it so far. I never thought I would give in to it but I absolutely do not regret it.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
If someone doesn't want to hang out with me because I don't have a smart phone, then they are not my true friend, and they are not worth my time.
Don't let anyone make you feel bad because you don't have a smart phone. If they can't understand calling on a house phone oh well then too bad My husband is very much like you and it's ok. He doesn't even own a cell phone and he gets by just fine without it, plus he's always on the phone all day at his job that the thought of talking more on the phone at home aggravates him. I believe in saving money as well. There are more people like us but they don't want to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island