Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 23,344 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I was just looking for some advice/tips on where to look for a summer job on Long Island. I am currently a Junior in college and have YET to find a summer job for the past two summers I have been home. I am pursuing a science degree but am looking for ANY JOB (e.g. I've applied to jobs from waitressing to retail to tutoring) I have tried CL, stopping by stores/restaurants in person, calling businesses in the phone book but no luck. I have found that if employers are hiring they show immediate interest until I tell them that I am only here until September.

I had a steady job throughout high school and have had no problem getting jobs at college, but I have had no opportunities at home! I have a 3.8 gpa in Neuroscience, am in the honors college at my university, and plenty of volunteer experience and it is just so terribly frustrating that I try so hard in school yet I am never even considered. The past few summers I have had internships but I simply cannot afford to not have any income this summer as it's too hard on my parents. I hope to apply to Medical school but don't think I can afford the application fees if I do not start up savings so this is all becoming very stressful.

I hope this does not sound like a pity party (I am sure my situation is far from unique) but I would appreciate any guidance. I am looking for really any kind of advice, it does not have to be specific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 AM

886 posts, read 2,651,467 times
Most school districts hire a dozen or more local college kids to clean desks,chairs and walls.Now that budgets are passed it is now the time to contact the personnel office of a few near your home.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM

334 posts, read 1,104,561 times
Have you tried your community pool--they need support staff as well as lifeguards, our local pool has been understaffed the last couple of summers.
Good luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,252,136 times
Try catering halls, they always ramp up for the summer.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,485,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Have you tried your community pool--they need support staff as well as lifeguards, our local pool has been understaffed the last couple of summers.
Good luck!
In my experience, those jobs are often quite coveted and often go as favours to the friends of the pool director or returning staff.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:09 AM

629 posts, read 1,703,453 times
It might help if you told us where on the Island you are located and/or hoping to find a job.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
If you are not located too far away from them, go out in the Hamptons and apply at the stores, restaurants and hotels. They are always dragging in foreign students on J visas to work for the summers, so obviously they like to hire students.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 23,344 times
Thanks for all the responses! Sorry I didn't include where I live (oops) but I live on the North Shore of Nassau county a bit far away from the hamptons but I would love to live there or really any neighborhood with a lot of summer tourist activity.

I have tried catering halls but everywhere I have been to wants some experience in waiting -- but I will continue looking! Good idea with community pools. My town specifically these jobs are ALWAYS given to kids whose parents work for the town as the jobs are extremely popular but maybe it is worth looking into neighboring districts.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM

929 posts, read 2,071,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaebella View Post
Hey there,

I was just looking for some advice/tips on where to look for a summer job on Long Island. I am currently a Junior in college and have YET to find a summer job for the past two summers I have been home. I am pursuing a science degree but am looking for ANY JOB (e.g. I've applied to jobs from waitressing to retail to tutoring) I have tried CL, stopping by stores/restaurants in person, calling businesses in the phone book but no luck. I have found that if employers are hiring they show immediate interest until I tell them that I am only here until September.

I had a steady job throughout high school and have had no problem getting jobs at college, but I have had no opportunities at home! I have a 3.8 gpa in Neuroscience, am in the honors college at my university, and plenty of volunteer experience and it is just so terribly frustrating that I try so hard in school yet I am never even considered. The past few summers I have had internships but I simply cannot afford to not have any income this summer as it's too hard on my parents. I hope to apply to Medical school but don't think I can afford the application fees if I do not start up savings so this is all becoming very stressful.

I hope this does not sound like a pity party (I am sure my situation is far from unique) but I would appreciate any guidance. I am looking for really any kind of advice, it does not have to be specific!
Get the best internship that you can find and tell your parents that them paying your, what should be, meager expenses is an investment in their golden years. You don't know it yet, but you are in a mad dash with one of the most competitive generations who are out there right now building a resume off of an internship this summer and your degree will be diluted if you have on there that you spent your summer working at McDonalds.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Get the best internship that you can find and tell your parents that them paying your, what should be, meager expenses is an investment in their golden years. You don't know it yet, but you are in a mad dash with one of the most competitive generations who are out there right now building a resume off of an internship this summer and your degree will be diluted if you have on there that you spent your summer working at McDonalds.
That's a good idea. There are a lot of internship opportunities on craigslist.org. Try and find one that best matches your future career goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island