Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
For full disclosure I did the same thing and had to hide my face until next spring cause I was to cheap to re sod

It grew back or did you have to re-seed? I didn't think mine would re-grow back next spring. That's why i re-sod it. It was like instant green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
$21 a week?

That's cheap!!
I have to agree, I remember kids charging $5 back in the 1960s.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:26 PM

110 posts, read 215,313 times
Awesome thread!

if you can give me the guy's name and number for 21$ a week that would be great.

i've lived in the city all my life and never owned grass. i figured it was a luxury to have so after we got 5 quotes at $30 a week from various companies we decided to buy all the equiptment ourselves and go ahead an mow the lawn. last week was the first time we mowed and we wanted to give up!! its not worth the 30$ a week but if i can find a guy for 20$ i think it would be a real bargain.

if anyone needs equipment get the honda hrr216 380$ super great value. i also got a refurbished husqvarna 150bt blower for 180$ and a used echo srm225 trimmer for 100$

we will try again next week to see if it is a headache since the grass will be shorter than our first mow which was about 6-8"

Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 43,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
What a meaningless post.
Why? I found it informative..and besides isn't this a message board? You discuss things.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
we will try again next week to see if it is a headache since the grass will be shorter than our first mow which was about 6-8"
Don't mow the grass too low. Keeping it high means it shades out the weeds and crabgrass. I have my mower to the highest possible setting. Do you know what kind of grass you have? Hopefully you've put crabgrass control down because crabgrass alone will ruin your lawn.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:57 PM

110 posts, read 215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Don't mow the grass too low. Keeping it high means it shades out the weeds and crabgrass. I have my mower to the highest possible setting. Do you know what kind of grass you have? Hopefully you've put crabgrass control down because crabgrass alone will ruin your lawn.
we cut it too low this time around and wont mow for 2 weeks. we plan to keep it at about 3" or so going forward. not sure what kind of grass i have. i had to reseed bald spots in my lawn. i went and got pennington northeast mix seed i am not positive what kind of grass that is. but i did put down about 6 pounds of it and its growing in nicely.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 PM

103 posts, read 226,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Try buying a decent mower these days. You used to be able to get a base, 21" steel-deck mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine for $150 or $200. Not any more. Even the Honda mowers, priced $500 and above (to like a cool $1k) have had problems starting and with self-prop transmissions.

My old Honda's transmission just stopped working after 10 years and I couldn't find an acceptable replacement (check the reviews online even for the commercial mowers) for under $700. So I hired landscapers and they charge $35/week just to mow, edge and blow the debris.

Get an electric mower for around $120-160 mine has lasted 7 years,a trimmer is 40 bucks,blower the same, I used Black and Decker, go on to amazon and read the reviews before buying, I do my own mowing I dont bother to rake up the grass- I leave it as mulch, only problem is I have horrible hayfever, so now my 13y old son will take over, he's changing $5/mow and $2.50 for extras -trimming etc ;-)

Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
Get an electric mower for around $120-160 mine has lasted 7 years,a trimmer is 40 bucks,blower the same, I used Black and Decker, go on to amazon and read the reviews before buying, I do my own mowing I dont bother to rake up the grass- I leave it as mulch, only problem is I have horrible hayfever, so now my 13y old son will take over, he's changing $5/mow and $2.50 for extras -trimming etc ;-)
How does it feel to rip off your own son? Jesus, the nerve.

We're going to see him on this board in 10 years time...
"I have my own business and I thought I would be a home owner by now, but I visit 10 clients a day and I only make $500/wk. my father taught me about earning an honest living. I am working my ass off, but coupled with gas prices and maintenance of my tools, I will never be able to afford a house with my own lawn to contract out to mow. How long do I have to live with my parents before I can put 70k down on a house? We're not engaged, but my gf knows that we're getting married, and we're going to have kids 3 years after we buy our house. My car lease is $360/mo and my insurance is $175/mo. I have no other debts. The house cannot be on a corner lot, no fire hydrants, and absolutely no cesspools. Minimum 1 acre. Oil heat is okay, as long as there's gas in the street. Pool would be nice, but must be in-ground and self cleaning. Sprinkler system is a must, as landscaping is my profession, with a minimum of 10 zones with drip systems in the garden beds. Can anyone help me? Oh yeah, and it must be in a great school district and within 7 stops on the LIRR from Penn. New construction and taxes must be under $10k."

Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 AM

413 posts, read 598,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
Have learned electric tools for my corner lot = electric tools for sale at my garage sale. Not enough power. Cords a PITA. IF you plan to live in your home for a while and have any real ground to deal with, I recommend gas powered tools. Just MHO.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:50 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,513 times
I've found that very few lawn services will agree to cut only on alternate weeks. I did have one like that, about six years ago, but his rates kept going up every year by $5-7 and then he added a "fuel surcharge"... no thanks.

Most lawn services will tell you, if you ask for alternate weeks, that they are set up to do a cut every week and can't/won't alter that scheduling.

As for the battery powered tools, I just buy a couple of extra battery packs and make sure they are kept on the chargers when not in use. I hate gas-powered anything (well, except for my car, LOL). I do agree that the gas ones have more "oomph", especially the leaf blowers -- but for leaves I use a rake. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: