Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMac View Post
I very much appreciate your honest. My teens are a very real concern!! Although they are big athletes and that might help them to integrate….I completely understand what you are insinuating.
FYI: the particulars of the position are not yet outlined so maybe when that is confirmed I will have my answer.
If I had a crystal ball and knew that my teens would find people like you all - who have been so nice to me - I
wouldn't hesitate. Thank you so much!
Being athletes definitely will help them. If you decide to accept the Melville job, just make sure it comes with a substantial pay increase. The cost of living on LI is much higher overall, not just for houses. It's a different lifestyle than the Chicago burbs; more competitive, more keeping up with the Jones. I actually prefer the way of life & energy here than in Chicago so you never know, you & your family may love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I'm really not trying to be a Debbie Downer - but athletics are huge on LI, moreso in some districts than others, to be sure - but be careful where you end up because in some school districts they aren't going to get the attention they may be used to unless they are elite athletes. No doubt that's a great way to make friends, but you have to make the team first.

This would have to be the job offer of a lifetime to move a rising senior, I'm thinking.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
I think I've read enough of your posts to say "If you career is not in jeopardy, stay where you are."

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm really not trying to be a Debbie Downer - but athletics are huge on LI, moreso in some districts than others, to be sure - but be careful where you end up because in some school districts they aren't going to get the attention they may be used to unless they are elite athletes. No doubt that's a great way to make friends, but you have to make the team first.

This would have to be the job offer of a lifetime to move a rising senior, I'm thinking.
Completely agree with this. If anything, sports seem like it'd be harder to break into, at least if they play the common headline sports (football/baseball/lacrosse/etc.). Assuming the kids are good enough to make the team (a huge assumption, particularly in some of the larger and/or more athletically competitive districts), I could see (and have seen, in my own HS and in others) a real backlash against kids moving into the district and "taking a spot" from an established team member.

This is pure anecdote, but I have a friend who grew up in the district I attended, moved away because of a parent's job for 10th & 11th grade, and returned (after said parent was laid off from the job the family moved cross-country for after less than two years) for senior year, and even having attended the district for 11 out of 13 years of her schooling, she dealt with a lot of backlash from other seniors for "taking" spots in certain things (teams, clubs w/limited rosters, class rank) away from the students who were perceived to have "really earned" those spots. Those of us who had been closest to her before she moved away rallied around her, but it was an overall ugly experience. I don't know what she would've done/how she would've fared if she hadn't been returning to an established friend network.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I think I've read enough of your posts to say "If you career is not in jeopardy, stay where you are."

After reading this thread Id have to agree. It sounds like the OP's life would get a major downgrade moving here. Unless this is a forced move situation or an absolutely massive raise, I'd stay where you are.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I don't see this at all. Some respondents should probably not be on Long Island, but the OP didn't ask for advice on whether they should move, just on what areas to consider. Many here are transferring their own feelings to someone who has shown no reservations. Change is good.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't see this at all. Some respondents should probably not be on Long Island, but the OP didn't ask for advice on whether they should move, just on what areas to consider. Many here are transferring their own feelings to someone who has shown no reservations. Change is good.
Change is definitely not uniformly "good." That's a ridiculous statement.

I'm truly not clear on how, by any definition, relocating halfway across the country to live in a house half as big and twice as old as your current dream home, and uprooting two kids in the middle of HS (one about to start senior year!), can be defined as "good" for anyone. If OP sounded unhappy in their current location, it would be a totally different story, but OP sounds like they have a good, happy, comfortable life - I'm not sure what the point of uprooting that life would be, and I'd be saying that whether OP was considering moving to LI or Atlanta or Paris or Timbuktu. There's more to life than having a bigger salary or getting a promotion, and if OP is a desirable enough worker that their own company is willing to pay to relocate the family (which it sounds like is the case), OP is likely to have no problem in their local job market finding a position that doesn't require relocating to one of the highest cost of living areas in the country.

This isn't a matter of "I'm miserable and I need to get out of here" or "I have no marketable skills so I need to go wherever someone will hire me" - in those situations, of course change would be better than no change. But here? To relocate for some silly, idealized notion of "change is good" when, by most standard measures (COL, social environment for the kids, size/quality of home), OP's life will become demonstrably worse? Absurd.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:24 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I understand the OP wasn't asking for advice on the go/no-go about the move.
I was just making a comment based on what I gathered from this topic so far. I am by no means a relocation expert or authority on this matter to give such advise.

It is curious how you don't see "at all" the potential negative impact it could have on the social and academic life of a child to be pulled from one school and put in another in their final years.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Just wondering? Did your plans just change? You have been here asking about moving and you just stated a thread asking about Lompoc California.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 40,287 times
Didn't change anything, I have 2 options at present: Central California or LI, NY. Obviously, it is in my best interest to research both areas as much as possible (without actually being there) to make the best educated decision. Sadly, both areas are expensive "/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island