Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,849,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I have a new neighbor who likes to park on the street to the right of his driveway. There is just enough space there to park a car. Of course, he pulls up even further, leaving me less room to park in front of my own house and still have room to put the garbage out. I cant stand people like that. I would never park in front of someone's house when I have room in front of my own house. I may just start parking in front of his house. People are f'ed up. Just because he decides to rent an illegal apt, he has to park in front of my house. Yeah, I know I don't own the street but give me a friggin' break. This is Long Island. Not NYC. Just because there is not a law does not mean that you should do what you do. These people just moved in recently.
We had a neighbor in Massapequa who everyone referred to as Fat Vinny; he lived across the street from me. He thought he owned the street and would park outside his house and with his cars hanging into the space in front of neighboring houses. If a visitor parked even remotely near his home, he would box them in with his cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,408,667 times
I have no real problem with it when there is nowhere to park but when they have a space in front of their own house, why don't they use it? It makes no friggin sense.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 AM

344 posts, read 720,236 times
Next-door neighbor's nanny always parked in front of my house after I left for work. When I needed to park in the street in front of my house, this was annoying. In the afternoon I parked closer and closer in front of her until bumpers kissed. I think she got the message eventually.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,679,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I have a new neighbor who likes to park on the street to the right of his driveway. There is just enough space there to park a car. Of course, he pulls up even further, leaving me less room to park in front of my own house and still have room to put the garbage out. I cant stand people like that. I would never park in front of someone's house when I have room in front of my own house. I may just start parking in front of his house. People are f'ed up. Just because he decides to rent an illegal apt, he has to park in front of my house. Yeah, I know I don't own the street but give me a friggin' break. This is Long Island. Not NYC. Just because there is not a law does not mean that you should do what you do. These people just moved in recently.
I don't mind when someone parks in front of my house, but if they did leave me no room to park in front of my own house, it would tick me off. Then I would park in front of his.

I remember when I was a kid, my father got ticked off when the guy across the street parked in front of our house, never in front of his own.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 AM

538 posts, read 1,013,744 times
This is mainly a Nassau (and city obviously) county problem. Out here in Suffolk the streets are wider, as are the properties. Most lots in Nassau are 40 or 50 feet wide. That gives you a max of parking 2 cars in front of your 40' lot.

My block, most people park their cars in their driveway. I would see maybe 5 -7 cars on the entire block of 32 homes. It was great for the kids to play ball, ride bikes etc. Heck, when I grew up (in Nassau) the block looks like a queens block. We would say.. "Mr Rollins car is foul, but Mr Dunlaps car is a homerun" when we played wiffleball. Can I turn the clock back?????

Old 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,746,628 times
I don't understand why people don't fully use their driveways and garages. This is definitely a Long Island thing. For that matter, I also don't understand why Long Islanders park at gas pumps and then leave their cars to go inside the station to buy snacks, newspaper, cigarettes, etc. while others are waiting on line to fill up. We can be a pretty rude and inconsiderate lot.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,730,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I don't understand why people don't fully use their driveways and garages. This is definitely a Long Island thing. For that matter, I also don't understand why Long Islanders park at gas pumps and then leave their cars to go inside the station to buy snacks, newspaper, cigarettes, etc. while others are waiting on line to fill up. We can be a pretty rude and inconsiderate lot.
A. Some people have more cars than can fit in their garages/driveways.

B. Some go inside to pay cash in advance of pumping.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,958,519 times
Also some people probably park in the garage and need to leave the driveway clear for when they use that car.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

344 posts, read 720,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I don't understand why people don't fully use their driveways and garages. This is definitely a Long Island thing.
One-car garage/driveway, and don't want to block in car parked on driveway. The other poster is right; seems to be a Nassau thing where lots aren't as big.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,746,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
One-car garage/driveway, and don't want to block in car parked on driveway. The other poster is right; seems to be a Nassau thing where lots aren't as big.
Or some peoples' garages are used for junk or illegal rooms, or people are simply inconsiderate of their neighbors and feel free to jam up the street with cars while their driveway remains empty. There are lots of reasons and not all are legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island