Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM

83 posts, read 169,706 times

Advertisements

So, shopping for a home, looking at places and thinking about things that really bother me in some of them. I'll be honest: I hate fire places. I don't see a use for them in 2014, but I know some people like the romance and nostalgia of one.

If I buy a home with a fireplace and renovate by sealing it up, will that be a big problem with buyers when it's time to sell? I just hate the wasted wall space, the gaping hole that's dangerous for children and animals, the flu which is a perfect place for rodents to invade and the overall ugliness of them. When these houses were built in the 1920s, people really used fireplaces. However, houses I see that are new construction don't even have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
If you have a fireplace that works, you don't need a shredder for your old credit card statements.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
So, shopping for a home, looking at places and thinking about things that really bother me in some of them. I'll be honest: I hate fire places. I don't see a use for them in 2014, but I know some people like the romance and nostalgia of one.

If I buy a home with a fireplace and renovate by sealing it up, will that be a big problem with buyers when it's time to sell? I just hate the wasted wall space, the gaping hole that's dangerous for children and animals, the flu which is a perfect place for rodents to invade and the overall ugliness of them. When these houses were built in the 1920s, people really used fireplaces. However, houses I see that are new construction don't even have one.
I would NOT buy a home without one. It was a must have on my list.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Plenty of new construction with fireplaces; lots of buyers like the ambiance of a fireplace.
However, they're usually gas in new(er) construction.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 AM

167 posts, read 305,658 times
It was on our must have list. We converted ours to a gas insert so it's safe and efficient. With the press of a remote button it lights up and warms our first floor. A beautiful mantle can really set the tone for the whole house. All of the new construction that we've seen have fireplaces.

Last edited by LIMom77; 07-07-2014 at 03:03 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 AM

883 posts, read 3,720,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
It was on our must have list. We converted ours to a gas insert so it's safe and efficient. With the press of a remote button it lights up and warms our first floor. A beautiful mantle can really set the tone for the whole house. All of the new construction that we've seen have fireplaces.
Same for me- an absolute must. We also plan to convert to gas. Was this a big job?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,645 times
When the electricity goes out in the winter it sure is nice to be able to warm up at least part of the house with the fireplace!

I remember as a kid, one big hurricane knocked out the electric and my mother was cooking dinner in the fireplace! Yes, this was before gas grills. In the winter w/o electricity, we would all sleep near the fireplace too. Great memories.

Never had a problem with rodents or racoons - we put a cap over the top of the chimney. Grills on the front of the fireplace keep them safe for children and pets.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Not only did our buyers want a fireplace, they wanted wood-burning, which ours still was (had plans to convert to gas and they were thrilled we hadn't).

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
I would like a fireplace too. The bigger question is, if you close of the fireplace, what do you do with the chimney? I dont think you can just leave it there. You should either live with it or find another home.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM

562 posts, read 1,059,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I would like a fireplace too. The bigger question is, if you close of the fireplace, what do you do with the chimney? I dont think you can just leave it there. You should either live with it or find another home.
Our two fireplaces were sealed off by the previous owner and the chimneys are still intact. We plan to open them again.

That said, grew up with fireplaces - five kids, 10 grandkids, lots of animals and not one problem with my mom's fireplace. Nor rodents for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island