Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times

Advertisements

OP, you are in the minority about fireplaces. Most buyers want one and it adds value to your home. If you really don't want to use it just seal it up with a piece of metal. Don't do anything drastic like knock it down or fill it some how. It is a huge selling point so make sure it can easily be used again when trying to sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
I would consider a fireplace a PLUS.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Wow, Im actually surprised how many people are for fireplaces.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
There's just nothing like a crackling fire going in the middle of winter. And the smell.... I LOVE the smell of wood burning fireplaces.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 PM

73 posts, read 187,737 times
A house without a fireplace has no soul in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
So, shopping for a home, looking at places and thinking about things that really bother me in some of them. I'll be honest: I hate fire places. I don't see a use for them in 2014, but I know some people like the romance and nostalgia of one.

If I buy a home with a fireplace and renovate by sealing it up, will that be a big problem with buyers when it's time to sell? I just hate the wasted wall space, the gaping hole that's dangerous for children and animals, the flu which is a perfect place for rodents to invade and the overall ugliness of them. When these houses were built in the 1920s, people really used fireplaces. However, houses I see that are new construction don't even have one.
Don't destroy a functional fireplace. My house us from the 1920's and the fireplace has come in handy when we've lost power. We don't have critter issues with it, and no problems with two children who've been around it.

If you don't care for fireplaces, do yourself a favor and don't look at houses with them.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM

83 posts, read 169,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Don't destroy a functional fireplace. My house us from the 1920's and the fireplace has come in handy when we've lost power. We don't have critter issues with it, and no problems with two children who've been around it.

If you don't care for fireplaces, do yourself a favor and don't look at houses with them.
Every house, except for brand new constructions, has one. There are so many factors to take into account in finding the right place that it can't be the only thing. BTW, there must be at least one other person who agrees with me. See this column.

Why You Should Nix Your Fireplace - Forbes

Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Every house, except for brand new constructions, has one. There are so many factors to take into account in finding the right place that it can't be the only thing. BTW, there must be at least one other person who agrees with me. See this column.

Plenty of mid 20th century development homes do not have fireplaces and plenty of new construction does.

Your post asks specifically about fireplaces and home value; now you add the other factors....

What I can tell you -- in several decades of construction business -- our clients want fireplaces, want to restore those closed up or walled in by prior owners, want decorative mantels or built in surrounds.

If you're looking at a ca. 1920's house with a fireplace, chances are future buyers will be familiar with the styles of homes from that era and expect a fireplace. Closing it up will cost you in the long run.

As for the article, right off the bat she's writing about west coast earthquake dangers.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:

This is when city-data comes in handy - you find out your taste/want/need in a home is quite unusual.

Nobody has come close to suggesting it is the only factor to take into account.

Re-sale/value perspective it is simple.

Fireplaces are standard on brand new homes here too - higher-end new homes often include one in the master suite (in addition to one/two on the ground floor and especially if gas is available).

This reminds me of a discussion with my neighbor who was looking for home without bathtubs (preferred showers, people drown in tubs, tougher to use as you get older, etc) and I failed to convince her that was an unusual want/need/desire. She did move to a house with a bathtub and I am wondering if she ripped it out. Apparently there is even a debate over that issue:
http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/...-value/482373/

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-08-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I grew up in a house built in 1933 and it had no fireplace. We all always wanted one. Especially my mom, and it's ironic that having moved twice since that house she has never ended up in a house with a fireplace! I've had them in both my houses as an adult and never use it.

Even my sister's apartments here have all had fireplaces!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island