Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Ugh. A driveway blind spot. Another colossal LI nimby crisis.
It sounds like a legitimate safety concern. There are a lot of careless drivers around our parts, and there's also a lot of road rage too I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 PM

413 posts, read 599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
It sounds like a legitimate safety concern. There are a lot of careless drivers around our parts, and there's also a lot of road rage too I hear.
And millions of driveways that exit onto much busier (or remote) streets with parked cars, traffic, pedestrians and other challenges. I understand it's not fair they put up a fence that limits their driveway view, but on LI that is most corner lot fences and if they want a pool it's the law that they do it. I just get annoyed at the righteous indignation of people inconvenienced over everything. No point in this neighbor trying for a variance since his neighbor obviously can't drive a car and will complain. If the fence isn't out all the way to the curb which of course it isn't, it should be easy enough to look both ways for oncoming traffic. I do it and my neighbor and I are friends. He does it and is friends with his neighbor. Oh well. I know I'm siding with the evil forces on this one but that's just how I feel about it. I totally understand the opposing viewpoint.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 18,050 times
I do somewhat understand your point. Im however more worried about a child walking or riding their bike past. My driveway is so narrow you can only get out on one side. The neighbors fence runs along my entire driveway. There is no space between the side of my driveway and the fence. The post is at the corner end of my driveway. There is no way looking both ways you would be able to see a child. I only use the driveway because with small children its safer putting them in the car in the driveway.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
If you back into your driveway, does that give you better visibility when you pull out (instead of backing out)?

I always back into my driveway, better visibility especially in inclement weather.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 AM

5 posts, read 18,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
If you back into your driveway, does that give you better visibility when you pull out (instead of backing out)?

I always back into my driveway, better visibility especially in inclement weather.
If I back in I would have to climb over the passenger side every time to get in and out. If I could I def. would.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
And millions of driveways that exit onto much busier (or remote) streets with parked cars, traffic, pedestrians and other challenges. I understand it's not fair they put up a fence that limits their driveway view, but on LI that is most corner lot fences and if they want a pool it's the law that they do it. I just get annoyed at the righteous indignation of people inconvenienced over everything. No point in this neighbor trying for a variance since his neighbor obviously can't drive a car and will complain. If the fence isn't out all the way to the curb which of course it isn't, it should be easy enough to look both ways for oncoming traffic. I do it and my neighbor and I are friends. He does it and is friends with his neighbor. Oh well. I know I'm siding with the evil forces on this one but that's just how I feel about it. I totally understand the opposing viewpoint.
He did say it goes all the way to the sidewalk (I would love to see a picture of this). No mention of a pool - but you don't have to fence the entire yard with a pool (realize it isn't necessarily feasible to fence just a pool in Nassau County if he does have one). Plus the law only require 4 foot fence, no?

I know, this post got your NIMBY righteousness up, LOL. I grew up in a house where MY OWN PARENTS had a giant shrub that blocked our view backing out of the driveway. It drove my mom insane that my dad would not remove it. When I got older and they started travelling on their own more, she would beg me to "deal with it" while they were away LOL. We lived at the crest of a hill so that made the sight lines even worse - you literally could not see a thing backing out. May as well have just gone shooting out every time.
I have a friend here - same thing. She lives at the top of a hill - it's down hill BOTH sides from her house. Huge bushes on either side. First time I backed out, I was like "I am having some serious dejavu here". They finally remedied that situation.

I also think the fact that he can't get out of his passenger side without hitting the fence is a problem. How long can he reasonably put up with that? Eventually he is going to want to use the passenger side of his car!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM

413 posts, read 599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He did say it goes all the way to the sidewalk (I would love to see a picture of this). No mention of a pool - but you don't have to fence the entire yard with a pool (realize it isn't necessarily feasible to fence just a pool in Nassau County if he does have one). Plus the law only require 4 foot fence, no?

I know, this post got your NIMBY righteousness up, LOL. I grew up in a house where MY OWN PARENTS had a giant shrub that blocked our view backing out of the driveway. It drove my mom insane that my dad would not remove it. When I got older and they started travelling on their own more, she would beg me to "deal with it" while they were away LOL. We lived at the crest of a hill so that made the sight lines even worse - you literally could not see a thing backing out. May as well have just gone shooting out every time.
I have a friend here - same thing. She lives at the top of a hill - it's down hill BOTH sides from her house. Huge bushes on either side. First time I backed out, I was like "I am having some serious dejavu here". They finally remedied that situation.

I also think the fact that he can't get out of his passenger side without hitting the fence is a problem. How long can he reasonably put up with that? Eventually he is going to want to use the passenger side of his car!

For pool, fence has to be min. 5ft. It sounds like the OP has a real legit hassle although both sides have code issues. The driveway should be 10 feet from the closest the fence could be (property line) at a minimum. You shouldn't be stepping out your driver's side door onto your neighbor's property (assuming no fence). That is all wrong. The curb cut and driveway have to be 10 feet from the prop line. You can park in that 10' setback but it's not your "driveway." The fence can go all the way to the sidewalk and that definitely is a hazard for pedestrians. I still think it's not that big a deal for merging onto the roadway.

It would be nice if they could work it out without the OP having to call in the town dogs who will overreach and make the neighbors life hell but that is probably what will happen. Then again the town could cite the OP for the driveway too if they want. They love $ and are equal opportunity ballbusters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island