Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times

Advertisements

As long as I am here I just can't be quiet about what's going in Westbury. Friday night the loitering was out of control, probably at least 10-15 guys loitering in the bushes by the piazza. Walked by there this morning and was disgusted with what I saw. Cigarette butts, lotto scratch offs, beer cans, liquor bottles, even bananas! There's a garbage receptacle right there, yet these guys just dump it. I posted about it last night on the Westbury BID's Facebook page about an event at the piazza, sure enough, they promptly removed it today.
I wrote "This is great but why isn't anything done about the men loitering and drinking in the bushes at the piazza. They dump trash everywhere and make such a mess. They are there almost every evening, nothing is done, I certainly dont choose to walk down Post Ave in the evenings because of this, I take the bus. These men hang around all over the town. I want The Space at Westbury to do well but with almost two months of no bookings after Aug.1st perhaps the Village needs to think about the image of all these men hanging around and clean it up. A good first impression is everything to those that visit Westbury!"

I put up a photo of the trash which I'm sure they will take down as well. Why am I not getting taken seriously? This community SUCKS. Its like no one gives a damn about anything. I complain and all I do is get ignored and blocked on the village's social media. Its like no one can say anything bad about these guys.
Well I'm done behaving myself. I have photos of the loitering and trash as well as a video. If the village doesn't like it, and others don't like it, too bad. This stuff has to come out in the open!

Friday night, all sitting in the bushes as I pass by on the bus

A disgusting mess left over Saturday morning

And to prove that my FB post was taken down on Westbury BID's Facebook. This is the same BID that says how great everything is going. I wonder what planet they live on!

posted last night

Gone by today

Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Your post is still there as of now -- 12:39 AM.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Your post is still there as of now -- 12:39 AM.
That's my NEW post with the photo in it.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:01 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
My approach would be to back end it. I would contact BID and say that while I would like to visit the area, the filth and liquor bottles deter me from doing so. I would praise all the efforts made thus far but......you get a lot more with sugar than you do with salt.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM

487 posts, read 545,551 times
I could certainly understand your frustration. Those pictures say it all. I am not that familiar with the area but I do admire the quaintness of the town when driving down Post Avenue and the efforts being made to build up the area. Certainly the scene you describe is the downfall. Are you an incorporated Village with periodic town meetings to address these issues?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Maybe the Village of Westbury is afraid of getting sued for discrimination if they take action? Wasn't there a case on Long Island where a landlord took down a building he owned that was filled with hispanic welfare cases and built something else, and then the municipality was sued for "discrimination" and they had to provide new housing for the welfare cases? Does anyone remember this better than I do? Edited to add: I believe it was Farmingdale where this happened.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe the Village of Westbury is afraid of getting sued for discrimination if they take action? Wasn't there a case on Long Island where a landlord took down a building he owned that was filled with hispanic welfare cases and built something else, and then the municipality was sued for "discrimination" and they had to provide new housing for the welfare cases? Does anyone remember this better than I do? Edited to add: I believe it was Farmingdale where this happened.
I'm guessing this is why the "Zero Tolerance" policy has failed as there are more men hanging out than ever before. Things were looking much better in the spring and then all of a sudden the enforcement stopped, the men returned and now there are more of them than ever.
It's so discouraging, I can't keep fighting this, I'd rather just leave, which is what I'm trying to do.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
John..move already. It will calm you down.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM

487 posts, read 545,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I'm guessing this is why the "Zero Tolerance" policy has failed as there are more men hanging out than ever before. Things were looking much better in the spring and then all of a sudden the enforcement stopped, the men returned and now there are more of them than ever.
It's so discouraging, I can't keep fighting this, I'd rather just leave, which is what I'm trying to do.
It is too bad this situation is making you want to leave. The area probably needs more people like you who care about it.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
It is too bad this situation is making you want to leave. The area probably needs more people like you who care about it.
Unfortunately those folks are leaving too, fed up with the out of touch Village Administration. Can't blame 'em one but. They were loitering in force up & down Post Ave tonight, in the piazza, by Rite-Aid, by Village Hall, even by The Space! It is worse than ever and it is getting more & more urgent I get out ASAP. Post Ave really looked like Union or Prospect in New Cassel tonight. Glad I was on the bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island