Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 111,970 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with starting a business in Nassau County where they worked from home. After obtaining a federal ID number would i need to register with Nassau County as well? Do I need to register a home office with the town? Will the home office need to be inspected by the town? Will my taxes go up in regards to this? Will my not living in a commercial area prevent me from conducting business from home? Also does anyone have any experience with tax benefits of working from home including using the home office as a tax write off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I'll put my answers in the order of your questions:

1. It depends on what type of business it is.

2. No

3. No

4. No

5. No

6. You can use the portion of your home that is an office as a tax write off, but it will be pretty insignificant. If you also use your internet you can take that portion of your cable/Fios bill and use it as a write off.

Good luck with your new business.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
As long as there are no signs, trucks or clients visiting your home office, you are golden in a residential zone.

I work from home. Nobody knows except my retired neighbors because I am home all day and my car is in the driveway.

Some businesses require licenses from your Department of Business Regulation.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM

77 posts, read 192,091 times
All of those questions relating to the local governments and having a home based business depends which town you live in, and what your business is.

There are a few deductions you can take for being self-employed. One major requirement for the home office deduction is the space is solely used for business (with an exception for child care facilities).

What business do you plan to start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: