Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times

Advertisements

Another person jumped in front of a train this morning.

My wife gets to Bethpage station at 630am, waits around nearly an hour in the cold with no announcement, then decides to try Hicksville - too late... absolutely zero parking left including the paid lot. She comes home and I have to rush the kids to eat and get dressed so we can go drop her off at Hicksville instead, and then the kids off. 2 hours later she's on the train.

Couldn't they have done it after peak hours?

Yes I'm kidding. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,484 times
Better they jumped on the way to work as opposed at day's end when people want to come home. That's the worst.
No, not kidding.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

My wife gets to Bethpage station at 630am, waits around nearly an hour in the cold with no announcement, then decides to try Hicksville - too late... absolutely zero parking left including the paid lot. She comes home and I have to rush the kids to eat and get dressed so we can go drop her off at Hicksville instead, and then the kids off. 2 hours later she's on the train.

Yes I'm kidding. Maybe.
That reminds me of a story from Seattle I read a few years ago - somebody was going to jump off a bridge and it caused a traffic jam, people stuck in traffic were yelling for her to jump.

Google is a wonderful thing: Commuters' mood turns ugly as suicide try snarls I-5 traffic - seattlepi.com

And by a few years I guess I meant 13

Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 AM

308 posts, read 445,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Better they jumped on the way to work as opposed at day's end when people want to come home. That's the worst.
No, not kidding.
I think you have that backwards. Very frustrating when you have things to do at work, and can't get there because of some miserable, inconsiderate moron. At least it's something they can only do once.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Better if they want to kill themselves to do it in Speonk on weekend morning and not be selfish and interrupt the lives of 1000's of other people

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM

252 posts, read 419,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Yes I'm kidding. Maybe.
This past Friday night. 2 jumpers. one at woodside and one at baldwin.

Service on the babylon line suspended.

I ended up in a bar across from Penn for a burger & a beer(s)

Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
That reminds me of a story from Seattle I read a few years ago - somebody was going to jump off a bridge and it caused a traffic jam, people stuck in traffic were yelling for her to jump.

Google is a wonderful thing: Commuters' mood turns ugly as suicide try snarls I-5 traffic - seattlepi.com

And by a few years I guess I meant 13
We were driving with the kids on the Northway a number of years ago and saw a person standing on an overpass, looking down. Didn't think anything of it. Turns out she jumped after the car behind us cleared the overpass.

I thank God to this day that she jumped after we passed by. No 15 & 8 year old should witness a suicide.

My heart goes out to the woman that day, and to the person who killed themselves this morning. I can't think of anything worth killing one's self over.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Yes having your train delayed is a huge pain (I've been there) but how about the impact this has on the train engineer who basically has a front row seat for the whole thing? I have a family member who's a retired train engineer who once told me something along the lines of "I can remember their faces".

Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We were driving with the kids on the Northway a number of years ago and saw a person standing on an overpass, looking down. Didn't think anything of it. Turns out she jumped after the car behind us cleared the overpass.

I thank God to this day that she jumped after we passed by. No 15 & 8 year old should witness a suicide.

My heart goes out to the woman that day, and to the person who killed themselves this morning. I can't think of anything worth killing one's self over.

When you are in intense painful agony. You don't want to die, but you are desperate for the pain and suffering to stop, whether mentally, physically, or both. Generally, emotional pain induces genuine physical pain. This is why we should think before we speak or write because sometimes, a tiny little cut, even if it appears to seem harmless or miniscule or trivial, into a deep pre-existing wound, is enough to drive a person to the edge.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 AM

730 posts, read 1,657,120 times
I cannot imagine the desperation that these unfortunate people are going through or what the impact that their actions do to their family or the person that they used as the conduit to their demise (railroad engineer).

There is so much truth to the expression "There but for the grace of God, go I.

Yes, I was on board the 6:05 out of Penn Friday night and detained for an hour or more due to the fatality, and I will forget the event quickly, I only wish the family or the conduit (as above) has the same luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island