Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:12 AM

19 posts, read 31,304 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am moving to US from UK and wanted to check - is there a concept of Public Swimming pools which are run by local council/district .

If there are - can someone help me with with some links etc. What sort of fees do they charge ( both public and pvt coaching)

I have 10 year old and 3 year old son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:38 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
If you're looking for lessons, check out Safe-T-Swim. They have branches all over LI that are indoor so lessons are offered year round.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Depending upon where you end up there are Y's (YMCA'S) that teach kids to swim in their pools. You have to join the Y however. On Long Island in Nassau County, there are county, village and community pools all of which require a membership or fee.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,816 times
I saw on another post that you were looking in the town of North Hempstead. Here's Tully Park: Town of North Hempstead - Michael J. Tully Park. Also check out the Nassau County Aquatic Center in Eisenhower Park: https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/1769/Aquatic-Center

There is sporttime in roslyn for tennis: Sportime NY Roslyn

Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Safety Swim for swimming and Sportime for tennis.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
If you're looking for lessons, check out Safe-T-Swim. They have branches all over LI that are indoor so lessons are offered year round.
This is totally unnecessary if you live in Nassau or Suffolk County, unless your child has a special issue or you want to expose an infant or toddler to some kind of mommy and me swimming program. Depending on the town or village that you end up living in, you can join a public pool complex. Some are outdoor only and are open only during the summer months. They not only offer swimming lessons for children, they have swim teams, synhcronized swimming lessons/teams, story time, other children's activities and adult activities during the summer months. The fees vary depending on the pool complex and you are only eligible to join, depending on your residency location. There are a limited number of all-year round indoor pool complexes and an indoor/outdoor pool complex and they also offer swimming lessons to adults and children throughout the year. However, it is necessary to sign up early because these classes are popular and fill up early. The fees for the lessons are reasonable and lower cost than anything private, including the YMW/C or H A (Young Men/Women Christian Association or Young Men/Women Hebrew Association). But the Ys are an additional option, especially if you want to take advantage of their other programs. They also offer day camp programs.

Also the town/villages offer day camp programs during the summer for low cost and many of the school distiricts offer a summer program at low cost.

The local government municipalities here differ from UK councils. There really is no equivalent of a "council" in the US.

There are a multitude of actitivities for children through the local towns, libraries, and schools throughout the year, as well as activities offered through private businesses.

And of course, Long Island has miles of ocean and Long Island sound beaches.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This is totally unnecessary if you live in Nassau or Suffolk County, unless your child has a special issue or you want to expose an infant or toddler to some kind of mommy and me swimming program. Depending on the town or village that you end up living in, you can join a public pool complex. Some are outdoor only and are open only during the summer months. They not only offer swimming lessons for children, they have swim teams, synhcronized swimming lessons/teams, story time, other children's activities and adult activities during the summer months. The fees vary depending on the pool complex and you are only eligible to join, depending on your residency location. There are a limited number of all-year round indoor pool complexes and an indoor/outdoor pool complex and they also offer swimming lessons to adults and children throughout the year. However, it is necessary to sign up early because these classes are popular and fill up early. The fees for the lessons are reasonable and lower cost than anything private, including the YMW/C or H A (Young Men/Women Christian Association or Young Men/Women Hebrew Association). But the Ys are an additional option, especially if you want to take advantage of their other programs. They also offer day camp programs.

Also the town/villages offer day camp programs during the summer for low cost and many of the school distiricts offer a summer program at low cost.

The local government municipalities here differ from UK councils. There really is no equivalent of a "council" in the US.

There are a multitude of actitivities for children through the local towns, libraries, and schools throughout the year, as well as activities offered through private businesses.

And of course, Long Island has miles of ocean and Long Island sound beaches.
Nonsense! The lessons provided by Safe T Swim by far exceed anything offered by a summer camp at a public pool. The peace of mind you'll have knowing that your child can swim and remove themselves from a pool is priceless.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:52 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I didn't say that Safe T Swim was not a good program. The OP seemed to be concerned about costs. The public pools are generally cheaper. As for a child learning how to swim and remove themselves from a pool, my own did very well from the local lessons. There were also diving lessons, which was a separate class and then swim teams and a synchornized swimming program. We also supplemented them when the child was older with private lessons from various lifeguards over the years at the public pool, which were very reasonable. We started with 30 minute lessons and then expanded them to 45 minitutes all one on one. Most of the instructors (usually in their 20s) currently charge 30 dollars for the 45 minute private lessons. All will depend on the teacher and how the pool or day camp is managed and their individual policy. But public pools are the cheapest option. Private day camps are generally not cheap and the quality of their swimming instruction, again vary with the particular program. Perhaps your local pool program in Smithtown was subpar, but mine is not, nor were we interested in any sort of professional training program-it was purely for recreation and perhaps some competional swimming for recreational purposes.

Again, we have public indoor pools that offer classes not just in the summer, but all year round, as well as life guard training. But unlike Safe T Swim, my local pool does not offer the safety/swim programs for infants and very young chldren, which I do believe is very important.

The fairly new pool complex at Flushing Meadow Park in Queens is very nice, but very crowded. I do not know much about their lessons or programs for children.

Also my town offers group tennis lessons for children at our park. As with the swimming lessons, you can arrange with them for private tennis lessons. North Woodmere park also offers tennis lessons for children and I am sure other parks do, as well. But these are outdoor courts so the lessons are seasonal and therefore more limited.

Last edited by Coney; 12-21-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Nonsense! The lessons provided by Safe T Swim by far exceed anything offered by a summer camp at a public pool. The peace of mind you'll have knowing that your child can swim and remove themselves from a pool is priceless.
What sort of fees are does Safe swim does? Any idea?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj29536 View Post
What sort of fees are does Safe swim does? Any idea?
Sorry for the typo earlier, I meant to ask - what are the fees like for Safe swim - was not clear from their website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island