Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 09:47 AM

67 posts, read 125,319 times

Advertisements

We are looking to go snow boarding outside of NYC. Looking at a few places, Bellayre, Windham, Hunter, etc. We have never been to any of these places before and are non experienced.

We are looking for a good place to stay around one of these mountains, but we wanted a nice cool place to hang out at night. Something like a pub. We are in our late 20s. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 AM

721 posts, read 1,568,815 times
When do you plan to go? Are you an experienced rider?

Honestly, I am not a fan of Windham, Hunter, etc. If you plan to go this week it will be VERY crowded. If you want somewhere fun I would suggest Killington. It is a bigger and more challenging mountain and they will have better snow and more bars. We were up in VT at a different mountain last weekend and the snow was great but it rained Tuesday so we left. Rained Wednesday too and was warm.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,967,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
When do you plan to go? Are you an experienced rider?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
We have never been to any of these places before and are non experienced.
They would die at Killington, aside from the fact that its 4 hours from Manhattan.

However, Wyndham and Bellayre have no 'town' like the VT mountains.

Could try going to Mountain Creek, which is close and has a very decent pub at the base, plus they have a Biergarten during the day outside. Yes the crowds can be a problem, but its not horrible as long as you don't go on a holiday weekend.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:50 PM

796 posts, read 1,759,420 times
I've been to Greek Peak in Cortland which is around 4 hours from Throgs Neck. I haven't been to any other ski resort so I can't compare, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:01 PM

They would not die at Killington. I rode another mountain in VT with my 5 yr old last weekend! All mountains have some beginner terrain and offer lessons. Sorry that I did not correctly read the OP-- I thought he meant he was not experienced with these areas not that he had never snowboarded before.

Bellayre, Hunter and Windham will be crowded next week. I'm sure NJ will be no better and the snow will be crap. I know that VT is 4 hours from the city but it is 55 degrees in NY right now and even VT is struggling to keep snow. Best of luck to the OP!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,894,222 times
I'd go to Mt snow in VT. Less crowded and more user friendly especially for a beginner. They have an Italian restaurant in town that is amazing. Don't know the name off hand but it looks like a white ranch house. Then after dinner there are 5-10 options to hang out.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I'd go to Mt snow in VT. Less crowded and more user friendly especially for a beginner. They have an Italian restaurant in town that is amazing. Don't know the name off hand but it looks like a white ranch house. Then after dinner there are 5-10 options to hang out.
I second Mt Snow. I did about 5 seasons there and it has plenty of places to go out to dinner after a good day on the mountain. If you time the drive right you can make it in about 3.5 hours (I have done it)

Old 12-27-2014, 04:13 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,102,822 times
Stratton in VT has a very nice little town at the base. Very chill to hang out

Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
I was about to suggest Stratton or Okemo. Closer to the VT/MA line they could try Mount Snow. Lots of pubs and such over that way.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Stratton has a Learn to Ride program, Okemo has a First Tracks program, Mt. Snow has one too. It's a package where you get a beginner group lesson, rental and lower lift ticket. Take advantage of this. Lift tickets are pushing $90 alone at many of these mountains and for the same price you will get a board and the lesson. You won't ride the upper mountain on your first day on a board.

I know this is not what the OP asked but Okemo and Stratton are great for families. We go to a bar in Ludlow after skiing but I'm not sure if the nightlife is as fun as Killington. The village at Stratton is great.

Do not wear jeans! Snowpants and waterproof gloves/mittens are a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island