Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post

Happy new year!
Same to you, missed this place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Wouldn't surprise me at all if towns are using drones to see what their constituents in their backyards. Many years ago, when we were still in the technological dark ages, someone from Town of Huntington knocked on my dad's door and asked to see the deck in the backyard. My dad said "what deck?" and the guy said they use aircraft to look for illegal decks and pools. My dad just smiled and refused entry.

On the other hand I've heard that a ton of drones were sold this Christmas and so maybe you have a neighbor who really wants to know what's going on in your house.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Thanks for the serious answer, although I'm not sure what a sleeper cell is. You mean you don't want to convince me it was a toy helicopter?
Sleeper cell, as in terrorist activity.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Why would you have not contacted the police and asked? When I lived on LI if I saw helicopters hovering for an extended period of time I would call the police precinct non-emergency number and ask. I always got a response that answered the problem in question.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Exactly. You should have called 852-COPS and seen if they had heard any reports or knew what was going on

Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 AM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
There coming to get you. Get your break out kit stocked and ready to go.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
No way it was in any form a toy. I even watched it from a distance. This was a hi tech thing. Not to mention extremely loud and large. That's some toy copter!

If it was large and hovering, it wasn't a surveillance drone. Hovering surveillance drones are small. Non-hovering drones ... can be small up to quite large. But it wasn't that either.

Are you sure it wasn't a police helicopter?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 AM

481 posts, read 666,039 times
can you buy a drone to fly over their drones so you know what drones they are using?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
It was a police helicopter (aviation unit): Thieves smash dump truck into Smithaven Mall, steal ATM, cops say - Newsday

According to the police, a dump truck was used to smash into the Smithaven Mall at 2:34AM last night. An ATM was stolen with an unknown sum of money. Police, canine units, and aviation units were dispatched in the area to search for the truck.

Since you're in the nearby vicinity of that incident, and what you are talking about happened right at the time they would have dispatched aviation...what you were hearing was most definitely the police searching for the dump truck used in the burglary.

Mystery solved...topic can now be closed!!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
So last night at around 3:30am I was woken up from the loud humming/buzzing sound of what I believe was some type of government surveillance drone. It was pretty large and had red and white blinking lights. It flew back and forth almost like a lawnmower over my house and surrounding neighborhood for a good 2 hours.
I even went outside and watched it for a while.

I may same paranoid, but it spent MOST of that time directly over and by my house. I couldn't even fall back asleep due to the light shining in my window and the disturbingly loud noise. If it was a few minutes I would have easily shrugged it off, but what could you possibly be looking for for that long of a time on that small of an area. Missing person? Crime? I live near the intersection of Stony Brook Road and 347.

Anyone else have a similar experience?! I know drones of all sorts are popping up more and more, but this was pretty disturbing and was repeatedly stalking one very small area. It has me feeling weirded out and stumped.
Here's your answer:

Thieves ran a truck into Macy's about 2AM in order to steal the ATM machine. The SCPD had helicopters up and caught one of the thieves. Another was still at large. They had the dogs out and found the other thief's jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island