Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:29 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Much of it coming from China:

The Lure of the Gold Coast
Wealthy Chinese Buyers Head to New York’s Suburbs
February 6, 2015
(website) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/re...s-suburbs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 AM

159 posts, read 279,593 times
Hopefully middle class Chinese buyers pour into the struggling areas of LI too, so property values can increase there too

Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Good informative article. It seems like there will always be buyers here - and money talks. Not good for those who hope unsustainable taxes will drive taxes down and dissolve unions if there will always be people feeding into the system.

Why are there not wealthy people from other countries doing the same?

It says "others are intent on living in these places full time while their children attend the area’s high-performing schools." Hopefully the other others are not just renting them out and making areas worse. And hopefully they don't concrete over the grass.

The strategy about pricing the house with numbers considered lucky/prosperous - I can't believe that works... that's as silly as religion. Oooh I went there.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-07-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
They started to move into garden city a couple years ago and turning houses into flophouses for college students. The village board acted lightning fast to change some laws about who could live in a one family dwelling. Non- villages on LI may have more trouble moving that fast if it should happen.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They started to move into garden city a couple years ago and turning houses into flophouses for college students. The village board acted lightning fast to change some laws about who could live in a one family dwelling. Non- villages on LI may have more trouble moving that fast if it should happen.
Yeah the "rah rah" NY Times articles never mention foreign buyers doing THAT with their property for some reason. Good for Garden City!

However, this little tidbit slipped into the article:

Quote:
While the influx of Chinese buyers is altering the makeup of towns along the North Shore of Long Island, the transition has been relatively smooth. Great Neck, for example, used to be heavily Persian Jewish, said Jennifer Lo, an associate broker with Douglas Elliman in Great Neck, N.Y., “but now there are so many Chinese coming they must be welcome.”

Still, sometimes minor misunderstandings do arise.

Last year, Ms. Lo sold a five-bedroom house on Long Island to a family from China. As soon as the deal closed, the new owners handed Ms. Lo the key and asked her to keep an eye on the place.

“They told me they were returning to China and would not be back for two years,” said Ms. Lo, incredulously. “I said, ‘But what about the house and upkeep on the garden?’ The wife suggested I pour cement over the grass, maybe turn it into a basketball court. I tried to explain this isn’t how things are done on Long Island.”
This type of buyer (living in a foreign country looking for investments) certainly causes boarding house problems (and paved over front lawns for parking lot for all their tenants) in Stony Brook. If they did this in Garden City (boarding houses), I see no reason why they would shy away from doing it in Old Westbury.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
A lot of this is money laundering. The Chinese government doesn't let them take large sums of cash out of the country so they buy real estate in "good" areas. A lot of the luxury condos being built in NY, LA, London, etc are going to foreign buyers looking for investments.

Of course their own countries don't allow non-citizens to own property but the West is too stupid to protect itself.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
We should be pragmatic and welcome them with open arms. They come here with stacks of money and open checkbooks, ready to feed the LI property tax beast. I don't care who they are or where they come from if their fat stacks somehow trickle down to raise the value of my home when I put it up for sale.

As for the concrete over the lawn, the way things are done was explained to them by the Realtor, and they came up with a solution. It was not an actual problem.

Bienvenidos, bon jour, ni hao, welcome to LI. Now get your pen out and write a check. The tax monster is hungry.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I remember in the 70's when the Arabs were buying everything up then the Japanese were buying it all in the 80's especially on the west coast. At one point it seemed like every golf course was going to be Japanese owned. It's always seems to be some group other than Americans that are buying everthing up and moving in...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 02-07-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 04:54 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Just hope they don't do what they did to Flushing,Queens to any community on LI.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I thought you had to come over on the Mayflower to live in Garden City?

Times have changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island