Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 AM

94 posts, read 221,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
I would create a 5' mulch bed between the lawn & fence and plant the Arbs 3' from the fence to allow for future growth. As they reach maturity, the bed would gradually expand to 6' from lawn to fence. Of course it could be wider if a low planting in front of the Arbs is desired. Other plants such as annuals or some perennials could be planted around the Arbs until they grow, as long as they are not against them or shading them excessively. A taller self seeding annual such as Cleome or Cosmos would help fill in and eventually go away and not be terribly expensive.
One question about the 5' mulch bed. It doesn't really make any difference for the plants health to do a ground level mulch bed or a raised/relevated mulch bed by maybe 1 to 1.5 ft, right? Also, another issue I am foreseeing is that starting around the area behind the grill, it begins to slow down as it approaches the back fence. For aesthetic reasons, I would probably want a slightly elevated mulch bed that stays level as it approaches the rear fence, right? If that's the case, I am not sure how it would affect cost of project. I was thinking of having the soil/plants/wall material (either wood or stone) delivered and have everything waiting for the landscapers. I assume this would provide me the best savings...?

I know some of these questions are really basic stuff. I am a new homeowner and have never really tackled projects like this. Obviously, I want to just do it right the first time so I don't come back to it at a later time after I am dissatisfied.

I appreciate the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 AM

513 posts, read 837,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_ss View Post
One question about the 5' mulch bed. It doesn't really make any difference for the plants health to do a ground level mulch bed or a raised/relevated mulch bed by maybe 1 to 1.5 ft, right?
It can have a beneficial effect if existing soil conditions are not optimal.

Quote:
Also, another issue I am foreseeing is that starting around the area behind the grill, it begins to slow down as it approaches the back fence. For aesthetic reasons, I would probably want a slightly elevated mulch bed that stays level as it approaches the rear fence, right?
I presume you are referring to that corner area in the first photo in post #4? Normally, I prefer to work with the natural grade but as it appears the fence on the left was installed to appear level, and it meets another fence that follows grade, it is an awkward corner. I agree with your point regarding aesthetics. I would approach the problem by doing a corner planting in front of the last three sections of PVC fence and the first two sections of the wood fence using different plants (unless you plan to continue the Arbs along the back fence). As a designer, I like to soften straight lines and blur property lines, in most, though not all cases as well as separate the two different types of fence. I would consider a Holly in the corner, with perhaps a Viburnum or upright Hydrangea (or 3) on either side for interest and separation from the Arbs.

Quote:
If that's the case, I am not sure how it would affect cost of project. I was thinking of having the soil/plants/wall material (either wood or stone) delivered and have everything waiting for the landscapers. I assume this would provide me the best savings...?
Maybe, maybe not depending on whom you end up working with.

Quote:
I know some of these questions are really basic stuff. I am a new homeowner and have never really tackled projects like this. Obviously, I want to just do it right the first time so I don't come back to it at a later time after I am dissatisfied.
That is really the best approach. I've been in the business a long time and I remember years ago, reading that the average new planting lasted about four or five years due to poor choices of plants, and even more, not allowing for ultimate sizes, as well as different needs of different plants used. I don't think things have changed all these years later regarding homeowners and "landscapers" that basically just cut grass and are not educated, self or formally.

Quote:
I appreciate the help guys.
My pleasure and good luck with your project...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
It can have a beneficial effect if existing soil conditions are not optimal.

I presume you are referring to that corner area in the first photo in post #4? Normally, I prefer to work with the natural grade but as it appears the fence on the left was installed to appear level, and it meets another fence that follows grade, it is an awkward corner. I agree with your point regarding aesthetics. I would approach the problem by doing a corner planting in front of the last three sections of PVC fence and the first two sections of the wood fence using different plants (unless you plan to continue the Arbs along the back fence). As a designer, I like to soften straight lines and blur property lines, in most, though not all cases as well as separate the two different types of fence. I would consider a Holly in the corner, with perhaps a Viburnum or upright Hydrangea (or 3) on either side for interest and separation from the Arbs.

Maybe, maybe not depending on whom you end up working with.

That is really the best approach. I've been in the business a long time and I remember years ago, reading that the average new planting lasted about four or five years due to poor choices of plants, and even more, not allowing for ultimate sizes, as well as different needs of different plants used. I don't think things have changed all these years later regarding homeowners and "landscapers" that basically just cut grass and are not educated, self or formally.

My pleasure and good luck with your project...
Soil conditions definitely are not optimal. Don't ask me specifics. All I know is that I've dug around for various reasons and it's really a rocky mess back there. Lots of pebbles and rocks.

Yes, the corner shown in first pic in post #4. It's also shown in the pic in post #1, far right corner of picture. What is even more problematic in that corner is that not only is it sloping down as it approaches the rear fence, but there was a lot of debris under the surface dirt. By debris, what I mean is... behind rear fence is a steep slope. In front of the rear fence, there must have been quite a large crater around 4+ ft wide. Whoever was cleaning out the previous owner's 40 year old landscaping threw all of the edging bricks and other small to medium sized boulders in that corner in attempt to level the ground out. Threw some dirt over it and naturally, I never even noticed when buying the house. Last summer, I cleaned out probably 85% of the debris, leaving only the few pieces of brick and rock that were more than 1.5 to 2ft under ground. Tried to fill it in with many bags of soil. Learning the hard way, I ended up making a second trip for more soil, and as you see in pic in post #1, it's still not really level. Should have started with a small truckload of soil or filler to start with. Live and learn, I guess. But, that is why I was thinking of an elevated mulch bed.

I will look into your suggestions for the corner area and try to figure things out.

Again, thanks a lot!

Last edited by arctic_ss; 03-11-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Here is a quick drawing of what I am thinking. FYI, the area in the upper left is a fire pit area that I started last year. The area I am discussing is along the bottom of the picture.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Here is a quick drawing of what I am thinking. FYI, the area in the upper left is a fire pit area that I started last year. The area I am discussing is along the bottom of the picture.
Looks good, of course the tree & other shrub would be incorporated into the "mulch" bed?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Looks good, of course the tree & other shrub would be incorporated into the "mulch" bed?
Forgive my amateur attempt at creating that graphic, lol.

Yes, those would be incorporated in as per the revision below.

Also, just found out that the wife would prefer not to have an elevated bed. I guess at this point, I would need to get a decent amount of filler and/or soil to put down to properly level that slope in the back corner. Also, I am thinking that if we keep it ground level, maybe I should go with rounded and more freer flowing lines.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Forgive my amateur attempt at creating that graphic, lol.

Yes, those would be incorporated in as per the revision below.
I thought as much, just wanted to make sure... :-)

Quote:
Also, just found out that the wife would prefer not to have an elevated bed. I guess at this point, I would need to get a decent amount of filler and/or soil to put down to properly level that slope in the back corner. Also, I am thinking that if we keep it ground level, maybe I should go with rounded and more freer flowing lines.
Agree with all, I would suggest some strategically placed boulders to retain the additional soil, especially keeping it off the fences.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I thought as much, just wanted to make sure... :-)

Agree with all, I would suggest some strategically placed boulders to retain the additional soil, especially keeping it off the fences.
Oh, boulders. I had not even thought of that. I am sure a few on the smaller size would work well, right? Maybe slightly larger than a basketball? Or are you recommending larger?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, boulders. I had not even thought of that. I am sure a few on the smaller size would work well, right? Maybe slightly larger than a basketball? Or are you recommending larger?
I would use larger, and not round. Longer, flatter and buried enough to look like a natural outcropping rather than just set on the ground. Moss rock is a good locally available choice. Just a few large pieces is more effective than more and smaller. Something in the 300 lb range, I think would work well.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Yes, I've seen other threads recommending them. If I have someone install, it's still best to go to Stables, purchase and have them delivered and waiting for the landscapers to install, right? Or do most landscapers want you to purchase through them so they can make a few bucks on them also?

Well, usually the landscaper wants to provide them for the reason you stated. We know our landscaper well, so they were willing to do the planting despite us supplying the plantings...but we were ok with them not guaranteeing the actual plants should anything go wrong them. Usually if a landscaper supplies the plantings for you, they'll guarantee them for a period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island